Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Gay Marriage

Default Gay Marriage

Here's something that is confusing me that seems to be a total contradiction. If marriage is classified as a "holy institution", then how come the government has stepped in in certain states to make gay marriages legal? I hear about separation of church and state, but yet the government is making decisions that are classified has "legal decisions" that are clearly written on the books as "holy", meaning church related matters. Playing God again it seems.

Marriage is not only "holy"/religious anymore.

Non religious people marry too, at the municipality.

And why should we not allow gays to marry?

the courts have ruled on behalf of civil rights guaranteeing secular equality under federal and state sanctioned laws, regulations and rights.
    this however does not obligate any church or religious authority.....

Quote Originally Posted by TenaM View Post
    And why should we not allow gays to marry?
    I totally agree TenaM!! In the Netherlands it is considered as normal, and why shouldn't gay people not marry. It's an expression of love and if they are happy than it is fine to me.

There is a point that the contradiction is from the other direction.

1) Marriage is either done by the church or a government official.

2) The church has its say in what is or is not a "valid" Marriage

3) Different cultures have different "standards" as to what and when a marriage is preformed.

4) If one is not within a "Structured religion" then what is marriage to them?

5) If the government can not tell religion what to do or not do within legal aspects, then Why or how does religion have the "right" to say what is or what is not a marriage?

So As I interpreted it I have the right to practice my religion and do not have the right to tell you how to practice yours.
    The church has no right say if you can marry someone based on sex, age, race or ???. They only can teach their beliefs, and it is weather you follow it or not, and if the marriage is "recognized" by them.
    The government is simply saying that anyone has the right to marry anyone that is willing to be married to each other. Period.
    There is still areas that can be argued but most of that is based on socially acceptable "values" or "norms"

Quote Originally Posted by CrinklesTheBunny View Post
    Here's something that is confusing me that seems to be a total contradiction. If marriage is classified as a "holy institution", then how come the government has stepped in in certain states to make gay marriages legal? I hear about separation of church and state, but yet the government is making decisions that are classified has "legal decisions" that are clearly written on the books as "holy", meaning church related matters. Playing God again it seems.
    Several points need to be understood here:

1. Where is marriage classified as a "holy institution" and what religion is that based upon?
    2. There are religions in the United States and abroad that do allow gay marriage.
    3. Which state is classifying marriage as a 'holy institution'? Please keep in mind that to enjoy statehood as part of the United States of America, the state has to have agreed to the Constitution of the United States of America as the supreme law of the land. The Constitution cannot be usurped by any state or local law.
    4. The First Amendment to the Constitution states: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." One religion cannot be held valid by the government above another or else you have started establishment of religion, a violation of this amendment.

Understand, the government is NOT forcing churches to perform any gay marriages or anything that goes against their beliefs. They are simply saying that one religion cannot hold sway over 'marriage'.

TenaM, you immediately assumed I was saying that gays shouldn't get married. See, this goes to show how people jump the gun without reading everything. I never said gays shouldn't get married. That was not the point I was making. I was talking about the side from who has the right to marry them. Not whether should be married or not.

I've got personal friends who are happily married to the same sex. This not discussion about whether they should or shouldn't marry. You guys need to take that out of the equation, because I'm never going to tell someone who and who they can and cannot marry. Please carefully read before you reply sometimes.

But it's not a holy institution. At least as far as the government is concerned, marriage is a legal contract. People who enter into a marriage contract take on various rights and responsibilties; wikipedia has a nice list here.

You're obviously and very clearly confused as to what marriage is. It's not holy - it is not recognized as a Christian act, it's recognized as a legal bonding. No country in the world recognizes marriage is a religious act. It's all legality, under the government. They are not "playing God."

Moving on though, why wouldn't the government want to make gay marriage legal? It's been proven multiple times to aid the economy, and it should be a basic human right for anyone of any gender to marry whoever they may like, regardless of the other person's gender.

TenaM, you immediately assumed I was saying that gays shouldn't get married. See, this goes to show how people jump the gun without reading everything. I never said gays shouldn't get married. That was not the point I was making. I was talking about the side from who has the right to marry them. Not whether should be married or not.
    You need to understand that it is very easy to assume that you're claiming that gays should not have the right to marry when you make comments that can be summarized as the court allowing gays to marry is "playing God," and that marriage is a holy institution, not a legal one.