View Poll Results: What's Your Favourite Decade for Music?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1950s

0 0%
  • 1960s

4 10.81%
  • 1970s

6 16.22%
  • 1980s

12 32.43%
  • 1990s

7 18.92%
  • 2000s

4 10.81%
  • 2010s

0 0%
  • Other

4 10.81%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favourite decade for Music?

Default Favourite decade for Music?

Tough to choose, but I went with the '80s. In England we had great bands emerging throughout the decade - the dreamy rock of the Stone Roses, new-wave groups like ABC and The Police, and the heyday of ska bands like The Specials.

Elsewhere, a lot of insanely catchy, but slightly guilty pleasure music I loved - INXS, The Outfield, Madonna (the list goes on...).

So, I thought it would be fun to see what ADISCers chose as your favourite decade for music*, and why.

*This classification does not include Justin Bieber.

I'd probably go with the 80s too, so much good stuff (albeit sometimes cheesy). I've always been a fan of melodic guitar, power chords, and lyrics that at least try to mean something (or are at least comprehensible).

Quote Originally Posted by SirNapsALot View Post
    *This classification does not include Justin Bieber.

At least you got some damn sense :p

Typically, people stick with the music that was current when they were in high school. Thus, I chose the 60's. The Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Hendrix, Rolling Stones, Yardbirds, Led Zeppelin, and so on.

My wife's musical tastes somewhat predate mine somewhat, even though she's a few years younger. I put that down to her being the youngest of 7. She was exposed to a lot of 50's and early 60's music by her older siblings, while I was the oldest of 4.

These days, I think musical tastes have been skewed to some degree by the internet. There's access to music and even performances (youtube..) across generations that we didn't have. Maxx jr and his friends still appreciate the Dead, Zep, and Hendrix even though the original recordings were made as much as 20 years before they were born.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Maxx jr and his friends still appreciate the Dead, Zep, and Hendrix even though the original recordings were made as much as 20 years before they were born.
    So that's how you got your username "Maxx"

Mostly 80's. Although, at the time, I actually didn't like 80's music at all. I can remember sitting on the back porch of my best friend's house one summer, listening to various Michael Jackson songs and trying to figure out what he was saying. My young ears just couldn't hear through all the other stuff going on in the music.

I don't really have a set decade for music. But I guess mostly 80's and early 90's (for the Grunge music and 80's for some of the best classic Thrash Metal there is. This does not include Metallica, because I hate them.)

Mostly 50's and early 60's. Classic country and early rock mainly Elvis and a few others.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Typically, people stick with the music that was current when they were in high school. Thus, I chose the 60's. The Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Hendrix, Rolling Stones, Yardbirds, Led Zeppelin, and so on.

My wife's musical tastes somewhat predate mine somewhat, even though she's a few years younger. I put that down to her being the youngest of 7. She was exposed to a lot of 50's and early 60's music by her older siblings, while I was the oldest of 4.

These days, I think musical tastes have been skewed to some degree by the internet. There's access to music and even performances (youtube..) across generations that we didn't have. Maxx jr and his friends still appreciate the Dead, Zep, and Hendrix even though the original recordings were made as much as 20 years before they were born.
    I'm the same as your wife, Maxx. I'm the youngest of several, and grew up on the music my elder brothers had been into. I loved new wave, and the 'Madchester' scene which went on in Manchester in the late '80s, despite it all being a few years before I was born. It was just the music I grew up with as a kid. I think for most people though, the music they loved in high school and college feels like the golden period for them, and had I not picked the '80s, I'd definitely have gone for the 2000s, largely out of sheer sentimentality.

What you said about the internet is spot on. Kids now have easy access to music from 40, 50 years before their time, and it's easy to forget that this is a pretty new phenomenon. I'm sure growing up in the '60s or '70s, exposure to the great artists of several decades before, like Leadbelly or Howlin' Wolf, was pretty much non-existant.

I couldn't pick just one. I'm big on Metal so at least both 80s and 90s.