Thread: Comparison of Three Diapers for the Budget-Conscious

Default Comparison of Three Diapers for the Budget-Conscious

Hello All,

Been while! I thought I would share a comparison I have made of three different diaper brands, based on my own experience. The three brands tested were:

• Tranquility ATN
    • Wings Quilted Overnight
    • Dignity PM

I use a medium size, though I run a little smaller in the size (meaning they are bigger on me, but I don't like the fits of the small size).

I had been using these brands off and on, and had trouble deciding on which was my favorite. So I recently bought some of all three to do a direct comparison. I'd rank all three as somewhere between the awesome diapers (Bambinos, Molicare, etc. . .) and your regular Walgreens briefs. I cannot attest to how good they are for bedwetting, as I do not wet lying down.

First off, the Tranquility ATN is the most expensive in its class, and is distinguished from the other two brands in that it has a plastic backing. It also has an added pair of inner gathers that run the full length of the diaper. Being it is plastic backed, it has a dual-stage taping system, which works of if you have tights on or something else to keep it in place after, as they tend to come off the strips if you are very active, if you have untaped them once. Absorbency-wise, this diaper is better than the Wings, and probably on-par with the Dignity PM, though one caveat is that I have occasionally gotten some with slight pin-holes in the cover, which will leak urine like a sieve, and you usually don't know about it until after the fact. I have also had them leak a few times out the leg gathers, so you have to be extra careful putting these on. Realistically, I only wear these around the house, since they are pretty noisy. When I want something with an old-timey diaper feel, I use Tranquility ATN.

The Wings Quilted Overnight is a diaper I initially discovered a few years ago while looking for something absorbent yet inexpensive. The new model is definitely different from the original I used back then, and the diapers are now thinner than they used to be. That being said, they are fairly absorbent, but not quite as much as the other two models here. The padded area is certainly smaller than the other two. Comfort-wise, it is a good diaper to wear, and despite being cloth-backed, has an appropriate amount of crinkle to it, which some may like. One caveat of this diaper is that the filling will clump after extended wearing, which I'm pretty sure nobody likes, which the original model I used long ago definitely did not do. I have never had any problems with the taping system, which is typical for a cloth-backed diaper.

About a year ago, I discovered the Dignity PM, which I tried, since it was very inexpensive. The result, however, is impressive. With a very generous padding area, this diaper is just as absorbent as the Tranquility ATN, with excellent wicking. The fit around the leg is good, and the diaper is comfortable to wear, and feels fuller than the other two diapers. With a direct comparison, I feel the Dignity PM is the winner for everyday wearing/using, and will continue to be my choice for daily use. This diaper is also a single-fold diaper, so the creases make the diaper bulge out like a baby diaper, which I'm sure some will like.

I have also switched to using Diaperbuys.com, since they offer free shipping. This makes it easier, in my estimation to buy and try different diapers in smaller quantities without paying a ton on shipping. They also ship fairly quickly via FedEx (also providing tracking info), though if you are looking for immediate delivery, the pay option will be better. I got all my diapers within a week, in one large discreet box.

Hope this has been some useful help. I know everyone including myself would love to forget these and buy the elite brands, but some of us are on tight budgets. Stay dry!

-Kat

PS. - I am NOT affiliated with Diaperbuys or Dignity PM, if it sounds too much like an advertisement! Just passing along useful info!
    Last edited by KatherineB; 04-Oct-2014 at 22:47. Reason: Added info about Dignity PM

I still like the ATN's myself, primarily because they are plastic backed and have decent absorbency. But also really feel great when very wet.

Dignity PM sound awesome actually. I'll keep my eye our for deals.

Well the point of this is that it's a comparison for those who are monetarily challenged. I would love to wear Abenas and Bambinos all the time, but it just ain't financially feasible for me.
    Last edited by KatherineB; 05-Oct-2014 at 01:16. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by KatherineB View Post
    Well the point of this is that it's a comparison for those who are monetarily challenged. I would love to wear Abenas and Bambinos all the time, but it just ain't financially feasible for me.
    I know ^^ I'm not trying to hi-jack your thread or anything. I was stating my opinion (Which it wasn't needed :P) If they are not your style, then ok, not trying to change your mind or anything.

Thanks Kathryn. I feel like I might find this useful someday. I have not tried any premium yet. I like the ATN myself, but if the other is cheaper, maybe I should try it. Doubting I'll ever indulge in a diaper that costs over a $1 a piece.

[QUOTE=KatherineB;1231742]Hello All,

[LIST][*]Tranquility ATN

First off, the Tranquility ATN is the most expensive in its class, and is distinguished from the other two brands in that it has a plastic backing. It also has an added pair of inner gathers that run the full length of the diaper. Being it is plastic backed, it has a dual-stage taping system, which works of if you have tights on or something else to keep it in place after, as they tend to come off the strips if you are very active, if you have untaped them once. Absorbency-wise, this diaper is better than the Wings, and probably on-par with the Dignity PM, though one caveat is that I have occasionally gotten some with slight pin-holes in the cover, which will leak urine like a sieve, and you usually don't know about it until after the fact. I have also had them leak a few times out the leg gathers, so you have to be extra careful putting these on. Realistically, I only wear these around the house, since they are pretty noisy. When I want something with an old-timey diaper feel, I use Tranquility ATN.

-Kat

-----------------------------

When I was first IC (over 20 yrs ago), I was impressed by the Tranquility products and used them often. They have since been replaced by more absorbent protection. I still do use the "peach mat" boosters since they are flow thru (no plastic backing) and will catch a lot of wetting before the outer disposable gets wet. That makes a change easier when out and about, since about 90% of wetness is contained in the booster. Since I will often need heavy protection, I can wear two boosters...though it gets bulky. Best for long road trips or when I'm out on my Harley for a longer ride. I did try the Tranquility ATN when they were first introduced and used the booster(s) with them. And vinyl or rubber pants over for added leak guarding.

Thanks, Kat. Very good report (test) of those products. I, too, am IC and need 24/7 protection, due to a compression injury to the lower spinal area (cauda equina syndrome). Still manage to be DL for reasons maybe only we 'select few' can grasp.

Andrew.