Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Review on Super Smash Bros 3DS

Exclamation My Review on Super Smash Bros 3DS

*NOTE: Do not get mad at me for my opinions. If you dislike them, then feel free to let the door hit you in the ass on the way out :P*

*These are honest reviews from my perspective, nothing was plagiarized from anywhere, these are MY words*

The game was nice and unique the day I got it but I ran into several problems I think it needs fixing and some major stuff that has change I am not impressed with.

Characters
    The character roster is ok and I was surprised to see Robin and my veteran Ike make it in but I don't understand the point of fighting capabilities. They are all different of course but some attack patterns don't even make sense or pertain to their story lines in the actual games. Some moves have been replaced, final smashes have been changed. Zelda can summon a sword beast? Samus has her own outfit and her girl as separate fighters? Every Smash is a new and unique pokemon fighter but since when did this "Greninja" start making appearances in any movies or something? Jigglypuff was technically the same but the old smash came around when pokemon was basically starring and he was in almost every episode. There were just a few characters fighting and strength capabilities I have to list.

• Yoshi: Cool green fighter but they nerfed him like a pulp and doesn't do as much attack as brawl and decreased his climb frames to like -.5 which I don't know why, I think they are trying to embarrass Yoshi too much.
    • Lucario: His attacks got nerfed. His counter-attack makes you fly off the screen which is complete-bullshit. I always had to counter back in brawl when I would get attack but now if I do I have to worry about getting my ownself killed. His final smash sucks now because I loved the Aura Storm all the time because I had many fighting tactics that would pull to that but now it's just a mega form...I never played X or Y and do not plan on it.
    • Charizard: I don't know why you would kill the pokemon trainer off for this one. Frames were not that bad when it came to fighting and I thought Ivysaur was a skilled fighter but nope. Charizard made it and gave him a mega form as a final smash. His Flame Charge is too fast (I dunno why this went from rock smash to that) and you can not stop this thing except to jump. His attack wave was huge so you need to jump before he could like get a mile near you or something.
    • Villager: New fighter but just sucks to me. I have yet to learn how to use him but a lightweight character, can't do much for that.
    • Bowser Jr: He kinda looks raunchy as a fighter with only his helicopter. I love it how they brought back the koopalings but at least lost the helicopter and they would look cool fighting.
    • Kirby: Final smash sucks and glitchy, I hit 7 people with his smash and none of them did not go through and I literally were on them. One was in my face when I used it and a few were at far sight.
    • Dark Pit: Ok so why would you make a Dark Pit: Just throw him as a costume.
    • Zelda: Split her Sheik "personality" (Not it but I'm using this word) as two (Same for Samus and her other form) and they nerfed her Final Smash
    • Ness: Kinda weird how his Final Smash is now controllable.

Those are my rants for those characters.

I love these fighters
    • Wii-Fit Trainer: Standard fighting guards and fast-paced.
    • Little Mac: Might suck in the sky but strong on the ground and fast-paced.
    • Ike: I still love him for not changing.
    • Marth: I still love him for not changing.
    • Lucina: I am so glad she came in the game, strong and very easy to use.

The most annoying to me is the shake-rate. If you would get grabbed or something It takes so many circle's to break free and I have fast fingers but I can't save myself from a fish on a stage "Balloon Fight"

BIG THING IS DUPLICATE CHARACTERS
    I thought we left melee? We have Mario and Dr. Mario, Pit and Dark Pit...seriously.

Items
    Now the items in the game are ridiculous. Some items are pretty much run-off screen items, "Rocket" "Drill" "Boss Galaga" and the new ones are kinda weird and unique like "Bees" "Back shields" "Jet-packs" "More Guns"

Now the Smash ball's shield rate went down so now it takes a few hits to destroy and everyone's final smashes times decreased so whatever you got, you need to use it in a hurry.

Let's throw in more swords? "Ore Club" and "Fire Bar"? Interesting, I guess but kinda weird but oh well.

I love the Master Ball feature but I feel it'll get annoying in the long run because I think. I got mad in one fight where I saw three of these things. 2 of them for which my opponents (Computer and Dmitri) had were legendarys but I threw out a Goldeen...talk about rotten luck :p

The Bullet Bill I die with. I thought it was a throw item but I pick it up and I run off the screen with Sonic Taunting me "Sonic Speed"...yeah no kidding.

Features
    It was fairly disappointing for features in the game and it felt like it could do better. Classic Run is the only thing I enjoy but it's over quickly (Spoiler=If you haven't yet, Play insanity 8.0 without dying and expect one hell of a boss fight) I will label the features out.

• Target Blast: A cross-over of Angry Birds, haha genius but I will always love the original which is sad that isn't in the game.
    • All-star: They are doing this based on years which is disappointing to me because it's over again too quickly where at least 5-6 are thrown and feels like their damage ratio is 1.5. I rather prefer having it like 2-3 like brawl and possible Melee
    • Smash Run: Just...no I think this is a stupid game mode all in front. This was a waste of a slot and would have served better as an exercise program for characters to follow Wii-fit Trainer. A 5 minute fight to gain stuff and fight CPU's for a minute? This is again...stupid
    • Trophy Rush: I love it although I am confused on why randomly the bottom floor get's destroyed
    • Street Smash: What the hell is this? Token's fighting each other? I rather throw coins as my hated neighbor and make that as my enjoyment
    • Smash: At least this was brought back
    • Trophy Shop: Kinda nice but more looking for a trophy I don't have...I can take what I can get.

Those are my Pro's and Con's for this game. I feel now they should work on the game a little-bit more over the fall/winter season and I am missing Mr. Game and Watch out of all and I will have all Characters and Challenges. Game is overall fun as I hoped it would be but again...expected a little bit more but what can you do for a 3DS Chip? It is their game not mine but I wanted to see some stuff like this.

• Have a longer campaign
    • Target Smash instead of playing Angry Birds
    • The nametags displayed as always
    • Missed the Level-creators (Probably wouldn't be in here anyway, more suitable for the Wii-u)
    • Glasses, Everyone needs glasses

I hope it's better maybe in the future since IT IS new and once again, I'm voicing my opinion. I love the game and I am not trying to tear it apart.

So everyone, Let's stretch our legs -Wii Fit Trainer

EDIT: Software release just came out. I hope that software break I just issue get's fixed in this one.
    Last edited by Snivy; 06-Oct-2014 at 03:42.

My biggest gripe is that hit boxes make absolutely no sense in this game, seriously they're Rareware level bad. It just seems like none of the moves I do trade logically in places where they definitely should. One game, I was playing as Falco when I tried to do a n-air on the opponent in his falling animation and the attack just went through him. Falco's entire leg was touching him, he didn't even air dodge, it just went right through him.

Also, Yoshi's up-air doesn't kill anymore. His signature KO move since 64 no longer KOs. So now Yoshi is completely useless, and that really angers me.

I just got a system error and forced my game to close...woooooooow I wasted 5 minutes for nothing. This game needs serious fixing.

I feel like there are a ton of characters that deserve to be in that were either left out, made assist trophies instead, or were actually removed even though they were in prior, and I think most of this can be contributed to the 3DS's hardware limitations. Ice Climbers, as you said, is the biggest example. I think another character that used to be in that deserves to come back was Solid Snake. His playstyle was solid, he had a fun kit, and the codec calls added some cool flavor to the game. Wolf and Lucas, although clones, should have also been included, because you can make clones play completely different with ease. Falco and Fox play fairly different to an extent, as an example.

The biggest crime I can think of is making Dark Pit a character rather than just a pallet swap. He's taking up a slot, and he was probably the least expected or anticipated character by far. A few other characters also don't deserve to be in there, but I forget her name; she's the angel girl that helps Pit out.

I don't own the game however, but like every release of Smash Bros. I imagine the gameplay is solid fun and it doesn't really disappoint, even though it may not be as good as Melee was (according to some fans who say Melee remains the best), but it doesn't have to, to be a solid and enjoyable game.

I look forward to picking it up eventually whenever I get a Wii U - I don't feel like playing a party fighter on a small 3DS screen.

Quote Originally Posted by KuroCat View Post
    A few other characters also don't deserve to be in there, but I forget her name; she's the angel girl that helps Pit out..
    Palutina and I'm not a big fan of her :/

- - - Updated - - -

There is a stage "Jungle Rapids" On all the smash games, if you fall into the water, you cannot recover at all. Once your in...your dead.

Some of these characters got changed because the 3ds couldnt handle it techwise, so zelda and samus got split from the other characters and same for the ones who didnt make it in. My biggest complain is the many up moves that dont hit targets in front of you, Bowser being one of them. Otherwise I like this game a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulqy117 View Post
    Some of these characters got changed because the 3ds couldnt handle it techwise, so zelda and samus got split from the other characters and same for the ones who didnt make it in. My biggest complain is the many up moves that dont hit targets in front of you, Bowser being one of them. Otherwise I like this game a lot.
    Kirby + Final Smash = You will have a 25% to hit someone up close!!! CPU's can hit me but I can't hit them?

Quote Originally Posted by Snivy View Post
    Kirby + Final Smash = You will have a 25% to hit someone up close!!! CPU's can hit me but I can't hit them?
    Hey Snivy, have you downloaded the patch from eshop yet? Im sure theres lots of bugs that got fixed with it.

I disagree with a lot of the things you said but that doesn't mean it wasn't an enjoyable, entertaining review! Nice work!

Small mention that you pick on Dark Pit for "why not just a costume" but then you praise Lucina when I think she's in the same boat. Hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Arietta View Post
    I disagree with a lot of the things you said but that doesn't mean it wasn't an enjoyable, entertaining review! Nice work!

Small mention that you pick on Dark Pit for "why not just a costume" but then you praise Lucina when I think she's in the same boat. Hehe.
    They are all correct. There is no disagreeing with anything. All of this is true and for a known fact. Lucina fights just like a marth so a female costume works wonders, same for the Dark Pit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulqy117 View Post
    Hey Snivy, have you downloaded the patch from eshop yet? Im sure theres lots of bugs that got fixed with it.
    Yes, still sucks but I did see maybe a 10% improvement.