Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much Sugar do you consume in a day?

Default How much Sugar do you consume in a day?

Hello everyone.

I am in a group that is studying "mindful eating".

One of the things that we have done is watch the movie/documentary "Fed Up", which is about the food industry and the way they are literally causing significant health issues in our country (USA).

I suggest that if you have any inkling or concern of a weight issue or Diabetes that you watch this show. There was a couple of other documentaries that were suggested and they are to open for interpretation, but this one is fairly right on the button.

Anyway I am working on the reduced sugar challenge that they talk about in the film, and I am already seeing a big difference.

The recommended sugar intake by WHO is 6 teaspoons of sugar a day (about 30 grams). I have found "healthy snack" in a health food store and it had 13 grams per serving and there was 3 servings per pack (39 grams or 130%). The movie also explains why percentage of daily recommended amount of sugar is not listed.

My weight has been maintaining for the last 3 months (since I started this group) and I have been working to cut the sugar level down to just 50 grams a day for the last 5 days. I am already seeing the same effects that the people in the movie talked about.

I just thought I would share this with anyone who is interested.

Good luck if you try the challenge.
    It is not easy and this is my second attempt. The "sugar garbage" is the easy food to fix and I was surprised when I started the first time. There was reasons I could not do it the first attempted, but it is making a difference and the grocery budget has not been that much effected by cutting back on the sugar.

Im not measuring my intake, but just recently I started only eating fruit, its not easy because of my massive sweet tooth. Im trying for quality more than quantity so I may have a bit of jelly here and there but NO soda.

It varies. I don't really keep track. Some days I knock out hundreds.

The thought of figuring this out fills me with existential dread.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieRoni View Post
    Me too. I am a sugar fiend. I try to get most my carbs through fruits and whole grains (complex carbs), but I love sweets.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieRoni View Post
    Sounds like you really have a sweet tooth.

But the same goes for me. Basically it's not the amount of sugar in my regular meals. I'm not even that much into too sweet things at all, except fruits and... well it comes down to the fact of eating a whole bar of chocolate or pack of gummibears sometimes, without noticing it until it's too late . Of course I feel anyway guilty afterwards, really really guilty! So I tend to skip a meal to hold my weight. But in hindsight that's also not that healthy since I'm missing a lot of nutrients then.

Something I should think about perhaps more often, but I could just not live without chocolate... as you know it's the same in raw masses as being in love. ;)

I've tried to eliminate a lot of sugar from my diet. I switched from sugar in my coffee to Splenda. I enjoy eating ice cream, but I eat products from Weight Watchers or Skinny Cow. They taste quite good. My big downfall is the occasional cookie.

There's very little sugar in my diet and no artificial sweeteners at all since I'm allergic to them. Sucks too since I'm a diabetic.

Quote Originally Posted by egor View Post
    [...]The recommended sugar intake by WHO is 6 teaspoons of sugar a day (about 30 grams).[...]
    I'd be lucky to hit 5 grams, or a teaspoon in two days...

You could try watching "Food Inc.", and "Fast Food Nation"... that'll pretty much run you off of just about everything else...

My concerns beyond GMO's, is the HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup) Here's another one that I can't site properly now...but, basically... though compared with sugar... gram to gram on par calorie wise... something about the HFCS that may not produce a proper insulin response...

Well, this is from a blog, but maybe you can determine something useful about this... If I can find something more substantial in a scientific article... I'll let you know... It's been a few years since I was introduced to this theory (if it's not fact)... HFCS was in many food products until recently, and may still be for all I know...

My best,
    -Marka

Quote Originally Posted by Marka View Post
    I'd be lucky to hit 5 grams, or a teaspoon in two days...

You could try watching "Food Inc.", and "Fast Food Nation"... that'll pretty much run you off of just about everything else...

My concerns beyond GMO's, is the HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup) Here's another one that I can't site properly now...but, basically... though compared with sugar... gram to gram on par calorie wise... something about the HFCS that may not produce a proper insulin response...

Well, this is from a blog, but maybe you can determine something useful about this... If I can find something more substantial in a scientific article... I'll let you know... It's been a few years since I was introduced to this theory (if it's not fact)... HFCS was in many food products until recently, and may still be for all I know...

My best,
    -Marka
    Food Inc. was interesting but as a animal care technologist there is a lot in that show that are slanted towards Animal rights type arguments. I have not seen the other one. But I will say that Fed UP has a little more believable format. I have been involved in some of the company sponsored studies and did see evidence not published because it was contradictory to the funding sources believes.

The HFCS is part of the "sugar" that is listed in sugar, but they do not show the % of daily recommended content. I think it was Coke that if they did list the % sugar per can it is 225%.

The bottom line of the "fed up" program is that the big 10 manufactures are praying upon our children with a compound that is 8x more addictive then Cocaine.