Thread: Foods to avoid if you have OAB. What have you avoided and why?

Default Foods to avoid if you have OAB. What have you avoided and why?

So I wanted to create a topic to start a conversation going. I thought there was a topic like this around but I couldn't find one. I thought maybe through some mature conversation we can maybe help some new people along the way and hopefully people who have questions of their own but are afraid to ask with our own experiences this topic might clear something up. So I had a few questions to ask...

I personally avoid soda but I can't help but to have at least one cup of coffee which gives me hell during the day. What life changes have you made?

What have you cut out of your diet to avoid bladder flare ups?

What have you done to help prevent this?

Do you have any tips from your own experiences?

Professionals advise:

Spicy foods
    You may want to reconsider reaching for hot pepper sauce at every meal or always eating sushi with wasabi. For pretty much the same reason that hot, spicy foods can make your mouth burn, it is thought they can irritate the bladder lining and worsen symptoms. "If you want to eat foods with flavor, you can use some herbs instead of spices," says Harvey Winkler, MD, co-chief of urogynecology at North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System in Manhasset, N.Y.

Cranberry juice
    Cranberry juice helps fight off bladder infections, but it can be a culprit in worsening overactive bladder symptoms.

The berries' acidity can irritate the bladder, and although its diuretic action helps flush out the bladder and urethra, it will also make you go more frequently.

Coffee

It makes sense that if too much caffeine can make you jittery, it also can make your overactive bladder jumpy. "It is both a diuretic and a bladder irritant," says Dr. Winkler, meaning it causes your kidneys to make more urine and makes your bladder more sensitive. "I tell patients, 'If you're going to have a cup of coffee, expect to have to go to the bathroom.'"

So if you're a coffee or tea lover, stick to one cup—and be prepared for the consequences. And be aware that cocoa and chocolate also pack a caffeine punch.

Alcohol
    Like caffeine, alcohol is a diuretic and a bladder irritant. So drinking a beer is a triple whammy, because you're consuming liquid, accelerating the rate at which your kidneys are gathering water, and forcing the bladder to empty more often. Dr. Winkler advises his overactive-bladder patients who drink alcohol to stick to a single glass of wine or liquor per day.

Soda
    Bubbly drinks can tickle your bladder as well as your nose. What's more, soda often contains caffeine, sugar, or artificial sweeteners—all of which are overactive-bladder triggers in their own right.

Orange juice

Acidic foods and drinks, such as grapefruits and orange juice, can also irritate your bladder, Dr. Winkler says. But don't let citrus scare you away from other fruits, such as apples, blueberries, and pears, which provide key nutrients as well as a healthy dose of fiber.

Eating fruit also helps stave off constipation, which can sometimes plague people with overactive bladder.

Tomatoes

Tomatoes, like citrus, are quite acidic. If you can't bear the thought of life without tomato sauce, some chefs swear adding a little sugar can make your ragu or Bolognese less acidic, although others argue that the sugar just masks the acid taste.

Other strategies include adding shredded carrot (or just leaving a carrot or potato in the pot for a while to "soak up" the acid), stirring in some heavy cream, or even sprinkling in a bit of baking soda (1/4 teaspoon per gallon or so) to neutralize the acidity.

Added sugar and artificial sweeteners

Real sugar—and artificial versions such as Splenda—can worsen the symptoms of overactive bladder for some people, Dr. Winkler says.

Even honey can cause problems. If you find that sweeteners give you bladder trouble, try to cut them out of your diet, or use as little as possible.

MSG
    Monosodium glutamate, or MSG, most famous as a flavor enhancer used liberally in some Chinese restaurants, lurks in other foods as well. And for some people, MSG is a trigger of overactive bladder symptoms.

Luckily, plenty of Chinese restaurants are now MSG-free. If you are MSG-sensitive, carefully read the labels of soups, stocks, salad dressings, canned vegetables, frozen entrées, and foods containing whey or soy protein to make sure they are free of the additive.

Too much (or too little) liquid

The adage that drinking eight to 10 glasses of water per day is good for you turns out not always to be true. So there's no reason for you to overload on liquids, which for obvious reasons can aggravate an overactive bladder. Drinking too little liquid can be a problem, too, because it can lead to overly concentrated urine, which is also a bladder irritant.

"Six to eight glasses of total fluids a day is acceptable," Dr. Winkler says. "It also depends on activity level, and you should drink if you are thirsty, as your body is telling you something."

Source: http://www.health.com/health/gallery...540820,00.html

Wow I can't believe spicy food is on the list I eat my lunch and dinner with chilli sauce most of the time...

Anything with citric acid in it makes mine way worse, so I avoid it like the plague. Ice cream and coffee are also on my bad list, but coffee is still my best friend, no matter what symptoms I get from it, I can deal with it, just GIVE ME my coffee!

msg free is a myth, pretty much every food has msg in it, as it is the most abundant non essential amino acid. MSG free just means they don't add more of it, and the effects of MSG are very contradictory, with most studies being unable to link higher MSG amounts to anything significant. as for acidity sugar just masks the taste, in order to counteract the acid you need to add ingredients that are slightly basic. tomatoes have a pH of around 4.30 to 4.90. adding baking soda to acidic food can help as it is slightly basic, used with coffee and tea it can reduce the bitterness so you can use less sweeteners. Also some apples are more acidic than tomatoes :P

Default spelling error

I thought they were trying to very rid of msg just like gmo?

I can see how that could make things worse

Crissyfox, I.heard you can cut acid from tomatoes with orange juice at least that's from what I thought. My parents told me a long time ago

Cutting acid from tomatoes with orange juice makes no sense. Orange juice is high in citric acid, so it's basically an acid on it's own. So trying to get rid of acid by adding acid does not work chemically. If anything, it might be that the orange juice is lower acid concentration than tomatoes and you're just lowering the overall concentration, but...

As for getting rid of MSG, a quick read on Wikipedia reveals that there is nothing more than anecdotal evidence regarding it being "a significant factor in causing systemic reactions resulting in severe illness or mortality". Considering how it is a naturally occurring amino acid, it is impossible to get rid of, and all that can be done is to limit the addition of it to your food.

The idea of getting rid of GMO (genetically modified organisms, i.e. genetically modified food) is a ridiculous one. Scientific consensus is strongly that GM food poses no additional risk than conventional food. In truth, humans have been manipulating the genetics of plants and animals for thousands of years, just that we are now able to do it with modern biotechnology as opposed to selective breeding.

theres 2 ways to cut acidity, dilute in water, or add a base and neutralize it. most every food we eat is acidic even sweet things like apples are acidic.

Quote Originally Posted by AnalogRTO View Post
    Cutting acid from tomatoes with orange juice makes no sense. Orange juice is high in citric acid, so it's basically an acid on it's own. So trying to get rid of acid by adding acid does not work chemically. If anything, it might be that the orange juice is lower acid concentration than tomatoes and you're just lowering the overall concentration, but...

As for getting rid of MSG, a quick read on Wikipedia reveals that there is nothing more than anecdotal evidence regarding it being "a significant factor in causing systemic reactions resulting in severe illness or mortality". Considering how it is a naturally occurring amino acid, it is impossible to get rid of, and all that can be done is to limit the addition of it to your food.

The idea of getting rid of GMO (genetically modified organisms, i.e. genetically modified food) is a ridiculous one. Scientific consensus is strongly that GM food poses no additional risk than conventional food. In truth, humans have been manipulating the genetics of plants and animals for thousands of years, just that we are now able to do it with modern biotechnology as opposed to selective breeding.
    I was buying into your msg story until I read your gmo one.
    GMO is putting mice genes in tomatoes and poison pesticides in other food plants. This is nothing like hybrid plants. These are weird or dangerous. Farmers growing insect resistent crops are supposed to switch out every few years to a different pesticide or they get super bugs that are born able to eat the plants with built in pesticide. Were you born with that ability? Wondering why some foods give you headaches or diarrhea? GMO may be more dangerous than you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinating View Post
    I was buying into your msg story until I read your gmo one.
    GMO is putting mice genes in tomatoes and poison pesticides in other food plants. This is nothing like hybrid plants. These are weird or dangerous. Farmers growing insect resistent crops are supposed to switch out every few years to a different pesticide or they get super bugs that are born able to eat the plants with built in pesticide. Were you born with that ability? Wondering why some foods give you headaches or diarrhea? GMO may be more dangerous than you think.
    I did some minor research before I posted on both MSG and GMO. MSG is a naturally occurring amino acid, predominantly produced through bacterial fermentation. We use a similar process to create alcoholic beverages, and, funny enough, there are people that get headaches and diarrhea after imbibing excess quantities of ethyl alcohol.

The term 'GMO' has been coined to cover any genetic modification done through the use of modern biotechnology as opposed to selective breeding. Both methods do modify the genetics of the organism, and both can cause the same sort of symptoms as both changes can result in unknown side effects in the organism that carry through into the parts that we eat.

I would be interested to see the peer-reviewed scholarly papers that indicate the danger ascribed to these items.

Quote Originally Posted by AnalogRTO View Post
    I did some minor research before I posted on both MSG and GMO. MSG is a naturally occurring amino acid, predominantly produced through bacterial fermentation. We use a similar process to create alcoholic beverages, and, funny enough, there are people that get headaches and diarrhea after imbibing excess quantities of ethyl alcohol.
    The MSG added to foods is created in a process of fermentation, starch, sugar beets, sugar cane or molasses similar to yogurt, wine, and vinegar, is different from the MSG already present in many food items.

As for GMO's it is similar results to selective breeding just a lot more targeted. and a lot more biased and hidden from scrutiny.