Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Choice of Sadness?

Default A Choice of Sadness?

I was wondering if I could collect the thoughts of others concerning this question: If you could opt to never feel the emotion of sadness ever again, would you or would you not choose to do so, and why?

I'd say sometimes sadness is a personal emotion within the body we all must have. It's very good at signaling the dangerous parts we all have to go through. I personally have no clue whether I want it or not because there are times I do not want to feel sad for stupid stuff but other times I feel the need to just be upset for these kinds of situations. I must rather have a switch I can flip on or off.

I also have adapted from some people when they feel sad is because of their reasons. IF people are sad, then there is a reason and we must try to figure out why. Some of use use sadness as an excuse to get out of rough situations, other times we must prefer to be stupid. I use my sadness if something is very upsetting such as "I lost a best friend" "I miss my friend who moved away" Being sad an actually be good for the body and sometimes it isn't healthy. Once in awhile is ok but there is such a thing as too much sadness a.k.a. Depression which is unhealthy.

As to your question: I wouldn't mind having it but it's sometimes uncontrollable for major perspectives of what I engage in and must rather have a switch I can turn on or off when I do handle or engage activities where I feel sad for some stuff I felt was wrong or upsetting.

I think negative emotions can help us fix problems by showing us that there is a problem in the first place. So if you're feeling sad, it's an opportunity to do something. It's a message saying, "something is not right." Sometimes that message is something you can't fix at all, and there is nothing you can do but wait it out. For example, when someone you love dies. You will be sad, but the only message there is "I miss him/her." But there are other times when sadness or anger (another 'negative' emotion) can do great things. Feel sad to see a stray dog on the road, all skin and bones? That can stir you into action. Help the dog, adopt him, or bring him to a shelter. Maybe that dog is beyond help (already passed on or ran away when you tried to help), so your painful emotions can perhaps incite you to donate money to a local shelter or to a bigger organization that cares for animals.

So I think negative emotions all serve their purpose. They are all warnings that something is wrong in our world. Whether it's our own little worlds, inside our family or workplace, or in the world at large, it's a signal that something is not right. If everyone was kept happy at all times, many bad people could get away with doing terrible things. I think this concept was talked about in a few dystopian future novels.... Brave New World comes to mind. They had this drug called soma which would be taken recreationally and 'in times of stress' in order to remove the negative emotions. In this way, people would not take action against the oppressive regime... they just... accepted it. So, yes, I would say bad emotions aren't always bad. They evolved in us for a reason, after all!

In my opinion emotions are an abstract concept, which definition is defined by our own reference. Our personal perception, our own reality. There is no 0, no absolute 0, the scale is unknown to unknown, with our perception as the middle ground.

Sadness is not measured by the amount of inches it is long, or the degrees celsius it is cold. It means the difference between what is normal, and what is out of normal, and points out into which direction it sways.

If one would not know sadness, happiness would cease to exist eventually.

This is true, but if one were to be able to cease the feeling of sadness without losing the memories, then happiness, or at least, complacency, could possibly exist indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by defectivelyhappy View Post
    This is true, but if one were to be able to cease the feeling of sadness without losing the memories, then happiness, or at least, complacency, could possibly exist indefinitely.
    Yes, but... happiness would loose it's meaning... it would become meaningless, it would not feel happy anymore...

comĚplaĚcenĚcy
    noun \kəm-ˈplā-sən(t)-sē\

: a feeling of being satisfied with how things are and not wanting to try to make them better : a complacent feeling or condition
    While I can see where you might see that as a good thing, yet it trends toward apathy

apĚaĚthy
    noun \ˈa-pə-thē\

: the feeling of not having much emotion or interest : an apathetic state
    It would all simply become nothingness, pointless, perhaps the truest meaning to dead... certainly, the antithesis of living...

Without feeling... your memories would be devoid of sentiment... and, would probably have the effect of watching ones and zeros streaming past...

We need to feel pain... sadness is pain... if you are consistently feeling pain; one of two basic things must change... your perception, and/or the environment...

Perhaps we can help you?
    -Marka

I was wondering if I could collect the thoughts of others concerning this question: If you could opt to never feel the emotion of sadness ever again, would you or would you not choose to do so, and why?
    Personally, if I could have a wish granted it wouldn't be to have me sense of sadness removed (that's kinda like wishing never to taste or smell anything bad ever again...) I would wish to feel the necessary confidence and energy to solve the problems in my life that make me sad, and strength to endure sadness when I can do nothing about it's cause.

Actually, I am very well off. I was just asking this question to gather ideas on the subject, since I am personally going through this exact thing. Long story short, I was diagnosed with major depression years ago. Recently I started some new antidepressants which have left me without the ability to feel and/or experience the emotion of sadness. I know it sounds far-fetched, but it is as true as I am alive today. Whenever something that would usually set me off in the past is experienced now, my mind just filters it out and goes numb. All-in-all, it is quite nice. For a long time, sadness was about the only emotion that I ever felt, and now that it isn't there anymore, it is a little confusing. I cannot say that I always am in happy mode all of the time, but I now am usually just level or elevated in my mood. I haven't been able to drop below since the meds started. In a way, I feel like I've given up that emotion, but the worst part is that I don't feel like I'm missing it all.

... Recently I started some new antidepressants which have left me without the ability to feel and/or experience the emotion of sadness. ....
    It's good you're doing well I've been in that situation myself. From personal experience I would say: remember that what you are used to feeling is "depressed-person-sadness" and not "healthy-person-sadness" - sadness isn't supposed to come around at the slightest provocation, and it isn't supposed to be all consuming all the time.

I don't think you should miss it - or at least, don't feel guilty about not feeling sad. There's only two real problems with it as far as I can see: 1) if your lack of sadness/ strong negative feelings leads you into or helps you to stay in situations that are bad for you; and 2) if a situation arises that you should feel a healthy sadness for, but you aren't able to feel an appropriate sadness for.

After years of going on and off anti-depressants, I haven't taken any medication for a couple of years now, because I felt that although it was saving me from the depression and sadness (good) it was encouraging me in my detached attitude to life that makes me indifferent and emotionally unresponsive (bad.)

Your experience may not be mine though, I hope things continue to work out well for you .

I think this may explain it well. When my wife's health began to fail and she had to go on a dialysis machine, they prescribed some sort of mind altering drug to make her feel better about dialyzing, about her failing feet, etc. She took them and didn't like it because she said that not only did she not feel sad, but she also didn't laugh at funny shows of television. There was no sadness, but no real genuine happiness. She went off the meds so that she good feel the full range of emotions.

There are probably good reasons why we must experience the emotions which we all do. Can there be happiness, or can it be fully appreciated if there is no sorrow? Experiencing both joy and sorrow is part of the human experience. I hate being sad, and I've had a lot of good reasons here of late, but I'd rather be human and experience a sense of loss. If I didn't, would I really be involved and engaged in the world, and worse, would I care about anything?