Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grocery Shopping

Default Grocery Shopping

Hi there. So recently I've noticed that I've packed on more pounds than I want and so decided to cut back by eating healthy. What I noticed is that cooking for one and shopping for one is not simple. I like to eat veggies but I cant stockpile because they go bad before I use, so frozen it is. I don't bother with coupons because they get lost and I forget them. I prefer to go to the store and buy what I need and then maybe get some things that are on sale for creative cooking purposes. My monthly spending is probably around $200. I wanted to see what Adisc members on here do and maybe get you guys to share some grocery shopping advice. Teach me!

Ooooooo, one of my favorite things to talk about - Grocery shopping.

I'm like you, one person, budget of $200 a month or so, and eating healthy because I can't put on weight because of my job. The difference though is that I augment my frozen veggies with a few fresh veggies such as onions, mushrooms, or squash, and often pick up a bag of salad mix for the week.

Anyways, I pretty much try to plan out my meals for the week before I go shopping, after looking through store flyers and checking out what is on sale. During the earlier days, that's when I plan my fresh veggies, and later in the week, use my frozen, or cook things with the more sturdier and longer lasting veg. One of my favorites is a zuchinni pasta, and they usually keep for a week or two.

I think one of the best investments, if you have room and the money, is a small chest freezer. If you have the time and the will, buying your meat as unprocessed (uncut) usually saves you a bit of money too. I buy whole pork loins for about $1.49-$1.69 a pound, and get whole chickens or quarters when on sale. Cut them up, use my vacuum bags, and freeze it for later. A loin usually gets me 8-10 meals, unless I cook for company. The rest of my meat, I watch for when its on sale and buy reasonable amounts. Like hamburger, I might use a pound, so I buy two pounds, freeze the extra back.

For my other staples, such as dry goods or canned stuff, usually its stocking up for a month or two when they are one sale.

All in all, looking at the store ads, knowing what you are going to get or want will help a lot in the long run. Being impulsive a little is good though, so usually only plan $40 out of my $50, and leave the other ten for whatever.

BTW, I don't use coupons either, unless they are on the product, in the flyer in store, or right there on the product shelf.

I have my routine to shopping.

First I go to Dollar tree and get the staples like paper products and cleaning supplies. Then to the discount store aka Grocery outlet and Grocery liquidator. You have to have an idea of prices, check the dates and read the labels, but most of the time the generic and off name brands are made by the "big name" companies. Then there is the big discount places like Winco and Walmart but again know the prices because they are not "cheap" on some things.

I keep a pantry stocked for "the big storm" at all times. SO I never shop for specific dishes/meals, but I have options for 14-20 meals available.

The big thing I am working on to help my weight is the sugar content.

If you want an eye opener watch the documentary by Katie Couric called "Fed Up"

To avoid wastage (or getting sick of having the same stuff all the time), I go shopping at least every two or three days. Veg only lasts a few days, and I don't know what kind of James-Bond-style self-destructing flour they use these days, but bread barely lasts 24 hours before going stale.

I have staples in the cupboard like (dried rice and pasta, cartons of pasata, tins of tuna, beans, sweetcorn, etc.), but everything else is fresh. I hardly ever freeze anything.

The good thing about healthy eating is that it's cheaper than eating unhealthy processed food!

Gallon size freezer bags are my friend. We buy in bulk and break up the hamburger and freeze it for later. I know you're single, but even 3 pounds of hamburger can be cheaper per pond than a single pound. Same with chicken breasts. We buy the bags of frozen breasts and use them as we need them. We have "min Wal-Marts" here and they are cheaper than the grocery store, so when we need to save a dollar or two we go there. They also do price matching for other ads from other stores.

Also, freeze leftovers for future meals. Those baggies come in handy for that, too.

Quote Originally Posted by zipperless View Post
    Gallon size freezer bags are my friend. We buy in bulk and break up the hamburger and freeze it for later. I know you're single, but even 3 pounds of hamburger can be cheaper per pond than a single pound. Same with chicken breasts. We buy the bags of frozen breasts and use them as we need them. We have "min Wal-Marts" here and they are cheaper than the grocery store, so when we need to save a dollar or two we go there. They also do price matching for other ads from other stores.
    Also, freeze leftovers for future meals. Those baggies come in handy for that, too.
    To be honest I can never ever leave left overs, ever, its how I was raised I guess. I should get into buying bulk, my hurdle there is dropping $20 or more at once, although thats mostly a mental thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulqy117 View Post
    To be honest I can never ever leave left overs, ever, its how I was raised I guess. I should get into buying bulk, my hurdle there is dropping $20 or more at once, although thats mostly a mental thing.
    I can understand that. However mine is the direct opposite. I can from a farm family of 6 and we stored everything and you ate everything even if you had to eat it for 2 or 3 days. Then I have such a problem (mind set) to cook for less then 6.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    Veg only lasts a few days
    i'll have you know that i've lasted 42 years

tying in what you said about sterilizing fluid, in the Diaper Talk section, because of the continued, periodic contamination of milk with sterilizing fluid (smells awful, tastes awful and burns my mouth and throat; as i've said before, most people couldn't smell their own arses if they were taped to their faces, so i can't trust anybody else's opinion on this), my food buying habits are all asunder. i also generally pop out every two or three days and shop locally, but the milk issue complicates things.
    and while my dailyish habits are governed by the basics of milk and bread, either once or twice weekly i'll nip to the next village for Aldi's ground coffee, and i'll also nip into the nearby big Asda for the usual belly-fillers and bog-roll (end-to-end service )

i no longer shop at either Morrisons or Tesco as their service and supply are total crap. unfortunately, Asda seems to be going the same way.

My wife and I decided to really attack out finances at the beginning of the year. First thing we did was went to cash only for our food budget, and once we were out of the cash for the month we couldn't buy any more food.

2nd, we cut our monthly budget from $500 to $300, and our eating out budget from $150 to $75. We started shopping at Aldi's, and discount store instead of Kroger's, the name brand store. We still have to go by Kroger's for a few things, but we buy all we can at Aldi's first.

3rd, we put a menu board in our kitchen and put each night's meal on it. That helps us to plan for what we need that week and not make extra trips to the store where we end up buying extras we don't need.

As I tend to work reasonably long hours and don't live super close to a grocery store (it's a solid 1 hour round trip to shop and I don't own a car), I usually only shop once a week. Since you mention, Sulqy, that you have issues with food going bad, you might be in a similar situation to me. There's a couple things you can do though. First off, try to mix things up. Buy some fresh vegetables and some frozen ones when you shop. Cook the fresh ones that night or the next day, and get yourself some tupperware or similar food storage so that if you have too large a quantity, you can eat them for the next couple days too. Cooked vegetables keep just fine for 2-3 days in a refrigerator. Then for the latter part of the week you can eat the frozen ones, and then get something different when you shop for the next week. Fruit is easier imo because there are a lot of good ones that keep for a while. Buy a whole bunch of apples and keep them in the fridge. They'll be perfectly good for at least 2 weeks, sometimes longer, and that's a healthy serving of fruit at a pretty reasonable price. Oranges too keep a long time, and my personal favorite are grapefruits which, again, keep for multiple weeks and are totally yummy and chock full of vitamin C to keep you healthy.

I also like to buy a few different meat items at once and freeze some of them. If I buy fish I'll always eat that right away because it's really only good within a day or two of buying it. Chicken and beef can be frozen though, and then they keep for a while. Again, as a single person, you can cook for several days at a time to save yourself time and effort. My most recent experiment has been a chicken cacciatore recipe, which serves 4 as written. So once I cooked it all up, tons of veggies, tomatoes, and many chicken legs, I ate one serving, packed up 2 more, and had solid dinners for 3 days (all I had to do for the next 2 days was put on some rice. I didn't even heat it up as it tasted great cold, but you certainly could heat it up if you wanted).

Hope that's helpful.