Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it weird that I refuse to be medicated?

Question Is it weird that I refuse to be medicated?

I was sitting here peeping out ADISC, when an old adolescence memory hit. I was in late middle to early high school, & my evil step-grandma (wicked bitch of the south) dragged me to the urologist.

I felt so much misunderstood, & like my grandma didn't even try, that I wailed, & bit my hands. All one must do is look up co-morbid conditions associated with Cerebral Palsy, & incontinence will be there, staring him or her in the face! I have yet to know one person with CP without bladder &/or bowel issues.

By the time the appointment started, the marks were gone, & I'd gotten it together. I explained to the doctor, & her nurse, that what causes my bladder & bowel spasms is that I have Cerebral Palsy, so the problem is that it make me spastic all over, not just my potty muscles, & I don't need the constipation, & bladder emptying trouble caused by OAB meds, when the cause of my spasms is a condition that, except by miracle, ain't goin' away. They believed me, & she shut up.

Is it weird that I refuse to be medicated? I still won't be. Mom knows incontinence is in the cards, because of my sis, so no more doc visits. I was lucky enough to be adopted by my dad's ex-wife, who already has a CP effected daughter. There was a running joke from the time I started spending time with her that the neighbors thought she collected girls in wheelchairs, 'cause she let our wheeler friends come visit. My stepdad is CP effected too. Mom's not easily intimidated.

Thought I'd make it clear I'm not currently refusing treatment. None has been suggested.
    Last edited by SpAzpieSweeTot; 21-Sep-2014 at 22:46.

I don't think its weird, I've refused pain pills, ssri drugs, and ritalin, I do use anti epileptic drugs and medical marijuana, I think its a combination of what I am on that has kept me fairly seizure free and avoided the myoclonus jerks, which I missed a dose this week in the morning and my right arm started to jerk the rest of the day, thankfully I didn't spill anything or drop anything.

I guess it really depends on the pros and cons to taking whatever medication they are trying to give you, if it cause more discomfort then screw it.

I don't either as you've got enough to cope with without having to cope with bad side effects of some meds

You stay in charge girl. It's your body. It's definitely not weird. you should be comfortable with what ever goes into your body, and if you don't really need it or want it, don't.

I take medication for heart problems and high blood pressure, but I do not take drugs for my urge incontinence. My urologist tried me on five different drugs for the incontinence, but they all produced very unpleasant side effects while having only very small effects on the incontinence.

Quote Originally Posted by Inconinmiss View Post
    My urologist tried me on five different drugs for the incontinence, but they all produced very unpleasant side effects while having only very small effects on the incontinence.
    This. Been there and done that. Why the heck would I want to take a relatively expensive drug that produces a myriad of unpleasant symptoms and doesn't even cure my problem? The same can be said for botox and electrical stim treatments. They're temporary and have all sorts of other risks. Doctors figure anything and I mean ANYTHING must be better than peeing and pooping yourself. Well, no. I've been doing the latter for decades and, yes, it can really suck sometimes, but it's not as bad as the current so-called treatments. My life, my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    This. Been there and done that. Why the heck would I want to take a relatively expensive drug that produces a myriad of unpleasant symptoms and doesn't even cure my problem? The same can be said for botox and electrical stim treatments. They're temporary and have all sorts of other risks. Doctors figure anything and I mean ANYTHING must be better than peeing and pooping yourself. Well, no. I've been doing the latter for decades and, yes, it can really suck sometimes, but it's not as bad as the current so-called treatments. My life, my choice.

Thank you! Can I hug you?!

I also take meds for high blood pressure and a statin drug for chloresterol. I also take an eye drop for glaucoma.
    I don't need a drug for my urge IC as I don't need the side effects to go with the blindness in one eye.
    I told my cardiologist over a year ago that I don't need to see a urologist. He wanted me to have my prostrate checked
    but I told him at my age I wasn't worried about it.

I have to agree with Spaz. I've dealt with bladder control issues all my life. Final diagnosis was neurogenic bladder, nothing more than a fancy way to say that something is screwy with the way my nervous system controls it. I've been to plenty of urologists myself, and dealt with diapers pretty much my whole life. One of the last times I was seeing urologists was because of testicular pain that was extreme and destroying my quality of life (even though I was on huge dosages of high level painkillers)--he ignored the pain, saying it was 'insignificant' and that it was more important to get me out of diapers. I refused to ever go see the guy again.

I've been on plenty of the medications myself with VERY limited success and plenty of side effects. I've given up on them much the same way you have. Diapers are a cost, and they run about the same as some of the meds, but they keep me from embarrassing myself and I don't have to add the cost of useless medications on top of them. I still live my life even though it is in a diaper.

I was given Vesicare to combat my bladder problems. It did little to help but made me feel nasious and some blurred vision. Both side effects that were common according to my doctor. I stopped taking it. I'd rather wet my self and be dependant on pads or nappies.