Thread: Toilet Maintenance

Default Toilet Maintenance

Question that I'm hoping somebody has some expertise about. I've had some free time the last week, so outside of work, I've been diapered every night. This has meant I'm only using the toilet in my apartment once a day (for going #2) and it otherwise sits totally unused. In the last day or so, it's starting making water cycling sounds fairly frequently, and I noticed what looked like dirtier water in it.

I flushed it and it worked fine, but it appears to be going into the same problem, and I'm wondering if there's something wrong with it, if I need to flush it regularly despite not needing to use it, or if it's fine and I shouldn't worry about it.

Thanks to anybody that can help.

9/10 times if you hear water running, it's the little rubber flapper in the tank. They're about $3 at Home Depot or Lowes.

The other thing is if you have a ball float. Those are in older toilets and can be replaced or the whole innards can be replaced with a water efficient float kit, about $15 and a little bit of elbow grease.

The dirty water cold be from slime (algae) in the tank. Have you removed the top and looked yet?

Ahh, running water. That happened to me last week. I hate that because it sky rocket's the water bill. Could it be one of these three? These are primary suspects of a running toilet.

Valve problem?
    Toilets have a fill valve, flush valve and flapper. If water leaks from the tank, the float on the fill valve will go down until it triggers the fill valve to refill the tank with water. This problem is easy to fix. You need to remove the flapper and inspect it for any damage. The bottom portion of the flapper that sits on the flush valve should be smooth and nothing odd or broken. Identify what brand of toilet you have whatever brand you have. :P This will help for replacing anything that matches your toilet. Turn the shut off valve clockwise. This turns off the water supply to your toilet. Flush the toilet and hold down the handle until most of the water is gone. Then remove the flapper and take it to the hardware store with you. Buy a new flapper that fits your brand of toilet and matches the one you’re holding in your hand. It’ll cost about $5. Super cheap, Easy to do, and will stop your toilet from running and skyrocketing your water bill.

Clock age problem?
    Sometimes the inlet pipe to the tank where the water runs can get clogged resulting in uneven water. That mostly will cause your toilet to run. Just clean the inlet to fix the problem. The sediments in the inlet pipe can be removed using a brush or wire. I did like a Q-tip for mine but that wasn't the solution to my running toilet yet it does help for other toilet's if that is the case.

Overwater problem?
    If you feel like you have too much water or if your tank always sounds like water is draining from it chances are the tank’s water level is too high. The ideal water level in your tank should be 1/2 to 1 inch below the overflow pipe. Make a mark on the overflow pipe with a Sharpie marker to indicate the maximum water level in the tank (I sometimes do that for the Snivy toilet ^^). You change the water level in your tank by adjusting the float on the fill valve. There are several different types of floats. All you need to know is that if you raise the float your raise the water level in the toilet tank. If you lower the float you’ll lower the water level in your tank.

Here's a quick and easy video to help you if you are confused on what I said about valves.

Awesome. I'll check it out and see if I can figure out a fix. Thanks guys.