Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mojang <3 Microsoft

Thumbs down Mojang <3 Microsoft

This should be interesting. Mojang, makers of Minecraft has confirmed they will be selling Mojang to Microsoft for $2.5 Billion. The Founders of Minecraft are said to leave the company. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I feel like it can be a good thing or this can turn really bad, in which case RIP Minecraft. My hope for the future of Minecraft would be to finally optimize the existing code and implement a way for players to change their Minecraft names without having to buy another copy of the game. Or Minecraft will become another xbone one exclusive and all servers will have to be licensed through Microsoft, which would be the worst case scenario.

What do you think will happen to Minecraft?

I would hope minecraft stays multi platform, since it runs on everything, it has gained popularity and even introduced some non Windows users to gaming on older computers.

I can only hope the new people taking over like minecraft for minecraft and not for the pay..

I normally run minecraft on Linux. It'd be stupid to remove the Linux support and force me to run the Windows java vm on wine to play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    "Microsoft optimized software" is an oxymoron.
    Yup, you're right. I'm probably just being hopeful xD

I'm scared that Microsoft is going to F*** up something fun and simple as Minecraft considering the fact Microsoft screwed so many things up in the past...I love minecraft but I'd be damned if they tweek Minecraft with some crappy updates or promote advertisements instead of the cute little messages I always enjoyed reading while playing on my Playstation 3 or Xbox 360.

Mojang loaned Microsoft to Sony for their PS3 platform and it's fun so I'd be damned if Microsoft says "We own MINECRAFT! We have all rights to any minecraft material so burn your PS3 copies because you all suck mwahahaha...bitch"

They screwed up the Xbox One for example, an always on console? Seriously? I could be coming out the shower and into my bedroom naked, not half clothed or diapered, "naked" and the xbox one so happens to get a glimpse of what I am doing! Changing, of course I am so stop starring! Microsoft revealed games like Killer Instinct and Project Spark that largely failed to impress, boasted tablet support, and then hit the audience in the face with the $500 price tag...wow talk about money and the conversation about the next big hit wasn't even that exciting -_- Also, they embedded the kinect option away and integrated into the Xbox One and I don't even like the kinect so why am I forced to use it? It's like the Google + incident forcing people that don't wanna use Google + to use it anyway argh!!!

With the Xbox One was one problem after another

• Disk-tray wasn't working
    • Kinect option didn't voice properly
    • Disk tray scratched disks after CD's were leaving the ports
    • Buy disks, let the machine download them, and then the disk is useless?

About the 4th one, you expect me to buy a $60 game and then it's no good? It serves no purpose carrying a useless CD everywhere I go. I don't feel like giving it to anyone or re-selling and getting quarter's worth of my money back so ha! Yeah right! I don't know if that is fixed or not but I am still not dumping my bank account and jumping for an Xbox One...for all this I rather buy two Xbox 360's...

Another example? Any program, game, etc that is functioning perfectly that Microsoft made, they have to go it and fix it more? Pretty much the term is "Break it". All companies fix things that aren't broken so I will agree with anyone on there but what's different from Microsoft is that "everything" they made they wanna improve and it just becomes a gigantic mess. It's like they don't even look at any notes they have prepared for them in the long run. Nobody liked window's 8 when it first launched because everything was complex and there was hardly any instructions on how to use it...you had to Google every little thing about snapping, swiping, etc. It's better than it was not (Thank god) but sometimes I worry about Microsoft.

I grew up with Microsoft so I'm not really going to bash on them too much because I have a Window's laptop but I wish they would improve rather than hiring men who eat hotdogs and play COD Ghost's.

So.. I take it this means if you like security, less bugs, less drama. and lots of mods just stick with current ver and forget ms.

First, I don't blame Notch at all. For 2.5 billion dollars I'd sell pretty much anything I've got.

Second, I think Microsoft is insane. How they expect to turn a profit from this I do not know. Even if they upped the price of the game to $50, they still need to sell 50 million copies or so just to break even (and that's excluding the cost of marketing and sales), which is close to the total number that Minecraft has sold to date across all platforms. There's merchandise, but there is already a shit tonne of fan-made stuff out there, and while Microsoft could try to squash it, good luck!

Third, Minecraft is an awesome idea, but it's not particularly hard to implement, and is itself a terrible implementation of a great idea. If Microsoft pisses the established user base off enough, everyone will rally around a clone, which will quickly gain traction, and Microsoft will suddenly find itself without a userbase.

The whole thing is just crazy. I suspect we'll see Microsoft dump this acquisition on some other chump (facebook maybe) for a lot less money in a few years in an effort to cut their losses.

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    Third, Minecraft is an awesome idea, but it's not particularly hard to implement, and is itself a terrible implementation of a great idea. If Microsoft pisses the established user base off enough, everyone will rally around a clone, which will quickly gain traction, and Microsoft will suddenly find itself without a userbase.
    It's called copyright and if microsoft buy's it, they can arrest those who's responsible.

Quote Originally Posted by Snivy View Post
    It's called copyright and if microsoft buy's it, they can arrest those who's responsible.
    That's a good one ;p

But kidding aside, intellectual property law doesn't quite work that way. A clean room implementation is fine as long as it doesn't infringe on trademarks (in other words, they can't call it "Minecraft", but they can make something that behaves exactly like Minecraft and can even implement the same message protocol (this was recently argued in the US and determined that they could not). There are actually several Minecraft clones out there (glowstone for instance), but none are really all that well polished.

Even if it _was_ illegal, it's totally unenforceable. If you arn't in it for profit, it's nothing to host code where no one can get at it.

Edit: a good example of this in practice is Domination, which is an open source version of the board game Risk. It's the exact same game, exact same board, same rules.. different name (because Risk is trademarked).