Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diaper Pail Help?

Default Diaper Pail Help?

Right now i'm using a bucket with a gamma seal lid to contain my cloth diapers.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HNI_0023.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	21886

I'm not sure if I am doing this right; but I think I need to improve my system.
    I can take them to/from the laundry room without being found just fine, but the problem is when I take them out of the bucket. I keep the bucket half-filled with water to dilute ammonia; and this is where the problem is.

When I take the diapers out of the bucket of water, they end up dripping all over the place as I shove them into a trash bag. (To be hidden under my actual laundry when I take them to the wash.) I do this over a piece of cardboard, but as winter comes I'm not going to be able to use the window to help vent the smell of the cardboard.(And I'm not very fond of having to reach into toilet water.)

I'm considering just lining the bucket with the trash bag, and forgo the water.
    But I want to make sure I don't mistreat the diapers as a result.

My question is, would this be alright?
    Also, without the water, what's the suggested time frame for washing? I tend to have a fair bit of ammonia in my diapers, and have woken up to that burning sensation from it.(having just put the diaper on before bed.)
    Last edited by SleepyTyrant; 14-Sep-2014 at 03:15.

I would suggest one of the 13-gallon size diaper pails, with one of the PUL liners you can buy on e-bay. Don't add water to the pail, it makes it too heavy to lift the diapers out. I don't soak my diapers but I do rinse the soiled ones before I put them in the pail. You can buy deodorizing blocks at wal-mart or babies r us if you want. I end up with about 2 dozen diapers and I wash them twice a week. It is easy to just pull the liner out of the pail and dump the contents into the washer. Some of the liners even have a zipper top. Sometimes they get a bit stinky, but my washing machine does a pre-wash and a second rinse and they come out fine. I also just throw the liner into the wash with the diapers too. I have had most of my cloth diapers for up to 6 years and they are still fine.

Adding water becomes absorbed by the cloth diapers making it heavy to pick up and harder to clean the mess. Your not mistreating cloth diapers when you are about to wash them or trying to drain all the excess liquid right out of them. Just always double check where you can find the culprit and use baking soda to eliminate the smell and ammonia on the inflicted spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyger
    Ping
    Ask this dude, he's an expert on Cloth Diapers. Probably know's more than me :P

Quote Originally Posted by chuck View Post
    I would suggest one of the 13-gallon size diaper pails, with one of the PUL liners you can buy on e-bay.
    I should probably mention that the place in the pic, is not where i keep the bucket.
    I keep it locked away inside here, with the rest of my stash:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	712pxoXIxFL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	21887

The bucket is about 14", and I only have room for 15" height wise.

I"m guessing you're living at home with parents, or have room mates in an apartment? I ask because my routine is to take my cloth diaper into the shower with me. I rinse them out in the shower and then hang them in the basement to dry. When I have enough, they go into the washing machine. There really is little to no smell using this method.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I"m guessing you're living at home with parents, or have room mates in an apartment? I ask because my routine is to take my cloth diaper into the shower with me.
    Hmm, I could do that...aside from the drying part anyway.
    I could wear into the bathroom easily enough, and hide the rinsed diaper inside my dirty laundry/towel when I go back to my room.

And yes, I'm living with my dad atm while I attend college.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I"m guessing you're living at home with parents, or have room mates in an apartment? I ask because my routine is to take my cloth diaper into the shower with me. I rinse them out in the shower and then hang them in the basement to dry. When I have enough, they go into the washing machine. There really is little to no smell using this method.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyTyrant View Post
    Hmm, I could do that...aside from the drying part anyway.
    This is what I do too. You get rid of the most amount of smell the sooner you can do a simple rinse of you cloth diaper. Even if you just take it to the sink really quick and ring it out under the tap 3 times or so. If you take it with you in the shower, it will help loads. I have also found that I didn't see putting it in a bucket help at all. I think the problem is, is a bucket works great for baby sized diapers, but the amount of water you would need for a bucket full of adult sized diapers is probably more like a 50 gallon container for a wet storage to actually work right.

If you are like me and live with roomies, or you genuinely just need to hide it all. I suggest going to the store and buying the roles of 70 3-gallon garbage bags. Once you rinse out your diaper, put it in the bag and throw it in your laundry or hide it away until later. Also, put any booster cloth into it's own separate bag. The less you combine used diapers together, the less bacteria there is in a single containment, and that means less smell.

I have to do this, and then try and discretely wash my diapers at my parents house. It is getting harder because, as shown in another post, the majority of my laundry is cloth diapers. But I have noticed that since I have changed the way I have been approaching my storage for used diapers, my parents have not commented on any weird moldy smells coming from my laundry when I bring it over. I also notice that they smell not much different than from the moment that I rinsed them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
    I have to do this, and then try and discretely wash my diapers at my parents house. It is getting harder because, as shown in another post, the majority of my laundry is cloth diapers. But I have noticed that since I have changed the way I have been approaching my storage for used diapers, my parents have not commented on any weird moldy smells coming from my laundry when I bring it over. I also notice that they smell not much different than from the moment that I rinsed them out.
    How frequently do you do wash them?
    There's a couple days I have to avoid washing mine on, and with my current system I try to wash no longer than 3 days after the 1st one of the batch. If I could manage 5+ days without washing, I wouldn't be limited in when I can wear.

I wish i could wash mine every 3. I wash mine once a week. I just wet one, and it is right after my wash just got done, so if you had to you could wait 7 days, but if that is the case, give it a good rinse in the shower, if you don't rinse it, then even storing it in a bag will do no good.

Also, I let myself be fairly relaxed on how soon i rinse them. I like to do it no longer than 24 hours after wetting but that is too long in my opinion. I think the best rule of thumb is, if you take a shower every day, then rinse your diaper the very next time you are in the shower. If you shower at night, rinse your diapers that you wore that day and through the previous night. If you shower in the morning, then bag the one you used in the day, and rinse out that one and the one from during the night while you are in the shower in the morning.

One thing I like to do, is I just put my diapers on the floor of the shower, and then I stand on them while I shower. They get all of the runoff water and soapiness, as well as the agitation from my feet moving around on top of them. If this seems weird to you to step on your wet diaper, then putting them in a corner where they catch some runoff and then afterwards giving them some special attention under the water and squeezing them out a few times should also work fine.

Also, try and push out a good amount of the water from the diaper when you are done before you bag it. Be careful not to try too hard, as it could possibly damage the plastic if you have an AIO

Quote Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
    One thing I like to do, is I just put my diapers on the floor of the shower, and then I stand on them while I shower. They get all of the runoff water and soapiness, as well as the agitation from my feet moving around on top of them. If this seems weird to you to step on your wet diaper, then putting them in a corner where they catch some runoff and then afterwards giving them some special attention under the water and squeezing them out a few times should also work fine.
    Thatís exactly what I do. The first few minutes the water running to the drain has a yellowish tint, by the time Iím done showering itís crystal clear. In my experience/opinion this gets the diapers as clean as a formal washing.