Thread: I'm Back...

Default I'm Back...

Shame on me for being gone so long but I'm back! I use diapers to manage urinary incontinence.

I'm a software developer for web and mobile applications. I fill my non-working hours with... more work and when I'm not working I'm pretty active playing soccer, scuba diving and hanging out with friends. I enjoy watching hockey both on TV and live in person.

I'm here to absorb information from other peoples post and share my thoughts and experiences on topics, hear about your real-life experiences and read the occasional fictional story.

Very cool, welcome NotAlwaysDry. Out if curiosity, what sorts of web and mobile software do you write? Don't answer if it's too much detail, but I'm curious.

For my "job" we build "software as a service", full blown enterprise applications for managing sales. We've also built "cash back" products (think FatWaller or eBates) and built out mobile application that can scan bar codes to locate the product and do comparison shopping for the best price, built plugins for Chrome, Firefox and IE to scan websites for UPC codes or SKUs and do comparison shopping, alert users if the site they're on supports cash back, etc. On the side I have several clients I do work for either on retainer or as-needed. Some of them are building/managing their website and some of them are building back end systems for them to manage data and interact with customers.

On the "side" I also do apparel, screen printing and the like so I build and manage that site as well as do all of the actual design and printing. I'd more call it a hobby but when I had more free time and was doing advertising I had good business. Now it's pretty much friends or friends of friends who need work done and I'm happy with that size.

Quote Originally Posted by NotAlwaysDry View Post
    For my "job" we build "software as a service", full blown enterprise applications for managing sales. We've also built "cash back" products (think FatWaller or eBates) and built out mobile application that can scan bar codes to locate the product and do comparison shopping for the best price, built plugins for Chrome, Firefox and IE to scan websites for UPC codes or SKUs and do comparison shopping, alert users if the site they're on supports cash back, etc. On the side I have several clients I do work for either on retainer or as-needed. Some of them are building/managing their website and some of them are building back end systems for them to manage data and interact with customers.

On the "side" I also do apparel, screen printing and the like so I build and manage that site as well as do all of the actual design and printing. I'd more call it a hobby but when I had more free time and was doing advertising I had good business. Now it's pretty much friends or friends of friends who need work done and I'm happy with that size.
    That's impressive. Do you do anything besides program? ;P

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieRoni View Post
    That's impressive. Do you do anything besides program? ;P
    I'd say no... but then I'd be lying! I enjoy playing soccer, currently in three separate leagues, three nights a week.

I'm an avid scuba diver, my location allows me to get out frequently from April to October and after that there are better things to fill my weekends with rather than be cold.

I try to fit in some NHL games when the games don't conflict with my schedule. I can't sit still and relax for very long, it's hard to shut my brain down, always thinking of other things to do, I suppose that is what makes me good at my job.

My life is busy and may seem overly full or busy but that's just life and it's how I enjoy it!