Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've compiled a sort of 'Manifesto,' a set of 10 rules/ideals to live by; what do you guys think?

Default I've compiled a sort of 'Manifesto,' a set of 10 rules/ideals to live by; what do you guys think?

I am in a very weird place right now, I am LGBT, in a relationship with another guy, and Catholic.

As I'm sure many of you know, that isn't particularly the easiest road to travel, lots of cognitive dissonance and trying to justify actions and behaviors.

Well, I think I've actually come to a very important place: I feel like I can for the most part reconcile my faith and my sexuality.

In terms of finding my place in this world --an identity to latch myself onto, a label to start identifying with-- I'm still getting there.

However, I think I've reached a point where I can become cognizant of what I want to be, how I want to comport myself, and what I want my ideals to be.

This is why I've decided to compile this Manifesto, because for the longest time, I've been searching for my identity, and finally, I feel like I've made it.

Here's my Manifesto:

1. To become cognizant of the transcendent beauty and universal truths held in common by all Religions and Creeds.

2. To promote an end to war whilst emphasizing diplomatic conflict-resolution and the use of defensive measures in contrast with war-mongering ideologies.

3. To strive towards the dissolution of religious fundamentalism in exchange for a Progressive worldview centered on the teachings of Jesus Christ.

4. To foster increased respect and acceptance towards all the peoples of the Earth, regardless of race, religious creed, socio-economic status, gender-identity, or individual ability.

5. To further the full integration of the marginalized into society whilst advocating for the extension of universal human rights, among which are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

6. To preserve the integrity of our Earth through ecological awareness and environmental stewardship.

7. To respect the dignity and right-to-life of all members of the animal kingdom.

8. To encourage the fullest expression of compassion and serenity amongst all members of the human race.

9. To enable the continued intellectual and emotional growth of our species.

10. To hold our neighbor to the same esteem that we hold ourselves.

arandomoddity

Nice. I feel you caputed a lot of important things :v however, I can still kill my brother that I love and get away, loop holes ftw.

Most of these are very obviously things that people would want to live by if they had any decency in them.

The rest seem like you're just stuffing your own views into it and telling people that they should live by said views.

1 and 3 conflict a bit. I think all religions are pretty similar anyway. What's important is that everyone can practice their own beliefs in a tolerant society.

You're also setting some very broad and ambitious goals. I believe this saying or a variation of it is from Gandhi, but consider this:

To change the world ,you must change its people. To change its people, you must change your friends. To change your friends, you must change yourself. Don't strive to save the world. Strive to be the person you'd like the world to have. Change will come of its own accord.

This is a great manifesto. For you. It's not very realistic, but personal ideals are not required to be realistic so this manifesto is just fine as long as you don't try to push it on to anyone else. Trying to get the rest of the world in line with your religious beliefs only adds to the conflict and is a great way to trigger a world war.

I think the OP said that he wanted these things for himself, not others. I think they are good ideals. I've often thought that if every person on this planet wanted peace, we would have it. The problem is that so many don't for various reasons. As AE.... and Gandhi said, we change the world first by changing ourselves, and I believe that's what SonicZelda is doing: changing himself.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I think the OP said that he wanted these things for himself, not others. I think they are good ideals. I've often thought that if every person on this planet wanted peace, we would have it. The problem is that so many don't for various reasons. As AE.... and Gandhi said, we change the world first by changing ourselves, and I believe that's what SonicZelda is doing: changing himself.
    I hope that's right. I worry a bit when the goals include stuff like "promote," "encourage," and "foster." It can be a hard and, sometimes, unhelpful road to try and grow beliefs in others. Thus the Gandhi quote.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I've often thought that if every person on this planet wanted peace, we would have it. The problem is that so many don't for various reasons. As AE.... and Gandhi said, we change the world first by changing ourselves, and I believe that's what SonicZelda is doing: changing himself.
    It's kind of funny how some people want to change the world. The world is in a constant state of change as it is. Even if we somehow managed to achieve a perfect world it wouldn't last very long since the natural state of the world is continuous change. And wars? Wars are horrible experiences. It would be nice if we could come up with a different way to redistribute wealth and power, and control the population, but this doesn't seem likely. It takes a natural or manmade disaster to allow the different cultures to have their fair turn as top dog in the world. I'm not disagreeing with anything you said. I like Gandhi's quote, but there are different levels to it. If I want to change the world what exactly should I change in myself first? ...maybe my desire to change the world?

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    If I want to change the world what exactly should I change in myself first? ...maybe my desire to change the world?
    Yeah, that's about right, I think. Philosophically, it's a difficult concept: achieve your desires by not desiring them. Very Zen. But the point is to make you think about what you want and change your perspective. If you think "I want to change the world," the task is beyond daunting and the immediate activities like activism can feel petty and ineffective. But if you think, "I want to be a better person, I'm going to volunteer to help some people," it's much easier to get up and go do it. And on top of that, trying to be a better person yourself gets a much better reaction from others. It's support and encouragement all around. Trying to change the world makes people shake their heads, think you're unrealistic, or at worst oppose you.