Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diapers under the Harvest Moom (camping advice?)

Default Diapers under the Harvest Moom (camping advice?)

Hey all!

So I just found out that, due to a bit of a last minute shake up, I'm gonna get the chance to spend the later part of this week and the weekend out camping by myself in a rugged and remote (but very, very beautiful) spot near here.

Although I've been camping a lot, I've only really attempted to bring diapers along once before...and it was sort of a failure/aborted mission to be honest, mainly because of some complexities with the fact that I was with family at the time.

This time, I'm hoping to be a bit more prepared and do things a. It better. Does anyone have any helpful suggestion for bring diapers into the woods?

My only real limitation is the fact that space is somewhat limited, as I can only carry what I can fit in my (admittedly large) backpack. Any diaper related stuff has to share space with a tent/sleeping bag, and the works, so I have to be smart)

Anyone experienced with this kinda thing?

Fail, my phone seems to like to spell Moon, as Moom? Hopefully it IS the moon up above me...and not a Mom. :S

Quote Originally Posted by Dan09 View Post
    Hey all!
    Hi! How is your day!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan09
    So I just found out that, due to a bit of a last minute shake up, I'm gonna get the chance to spend the later part of this week and the weekend out camping by myself in a rugged and remote (but very, very beautiful) spot near here.

Although I've been camping a lot, I've only really attempted to bring diapers along once before...and it was sort of a failure/aborted mission to be honest, mainly because of some complexities with the fact that I was with family at the time.

This time, I'm hoping to be a bit more prepared and do things a. It better. Does anyone have any helpful suggestion for bring diapers into the woods?
    There are several ways of doing this but depending on what you'll be doing in the great outdoors, You need to be careful. If you're dead set on diapering while camping, I advise using a lot of powder, camping has a tendency to make diapers chafe and it can be really weird. But overall you would be overreacting if you think any thing is going to be wrong. You can carry on an extra bag kinda like a bookbag. Of course it will be another thing to carry around with you but at least you would have what you brought along with you.

I've never went diapered while I was camping but I know how material and the wilderness is because I went camping before. You just got to play it smart. As long as you don't make it seem you have nothing to hide, then you will be fine. Just don't make it convincing.

You also talked about it before in this thread: http://www.adisc.org/forum/showthrea...d-in-the-Woods

Quote Originally Posted by zipperless View Post
    What will you do with the used ones?
    He can bring himself plastic bags and dispose of them properly. If he messes in them, you can use baking soda to reduce the smell. There has to be a reson why you would bring plastic bags. There are excuses he can make out of them life,

In case I get sick
    Dispose materials properly
    Want to collect kinds of wilderness things.

Usually sometimes there are buildings where camping is allowed. he can toss them in the trashcans inside a plastic bag

Oh, OK. I didn't think they were biodegradable.

I know that the idea of wearing diapers in the woods while camping or backpacking sounds exciting, but personally, I would not do it if I was you. I myself am an avid backpacker and have many times thought about wearing while backpacking, but I always come to the same conclusions and forgo it. I do have some questions that might help with your decision and how to go about it.

1. First, are you camping or backpacking? I mean are you taking a car to a certain spot designated for you to camp at and you unload and set your stuff up there (usually numerous camp sites are right next to each other)? Or are you backpacking where you take ALL your stuff in a backpack and go out into the woods and hike a trail for a few days? If your going backpacking then I would strongly advice you to not bring and wear diapers along your trip, its more of a hassle then you might think. One rule of backpacking is "carry in, carry out," meaning whatever you take with you into the woods you take back with you out of the woods. If your takings diapers and presumably using the diapers, then the stuff going into the diapers is going to start taking up lots of extra space in your back, and that extra space is stuff you cant risk wasting. Plus its very hard to stay clean and to change out in the woods.

If you are going camping and staying at a certain location the whole time, I say go for it, because most likely you will be able to take more things with you, there will probably be bathrooms to change and dispose of the diapers, and you won't be moving/walking all day so you wont have to worry about chaffing to much.

2. The second thing you might want to think about is the temperature of the place your going? Will it be Hot? Cold? How about Humid? If its hot and humid, then again I advice to forgo the diaper wearing. Wearing a diaper while its hot and humid, makes for not such a fun time. This will definitely equal to chaffing and possibly getting a rash, plus when its hot and humid the bugs like to be out, and personally the bugs irritate me enough when I'm not wearing a diaper, so I can't imagine how they will be when your wearing a wet diaper.

If its cold on the other hand then go for it. You won't have to worry about bugs to much, and if your camping and not walking all day then you probably won't get chaffing and a rash.

3. Finally, if you do plan on wearing diapers wherever you go, think about when and where you will be wearing a diaper. Are you going to be wearing 24/7? Or just every once and a while? Or maybe just at night. Again if your backpacking those diapers will take up space, and space is the game you got to consider when packing your backpack because things add up fast and you got to consider whats more important if you have to choose between bringing some diapers or extra clothing, or something like that. If your camping this is probably not a problem because you can just shove everything in your car and then take more trips from your car to the camp site.

Sorry for the rambling. I hope what I said helped, even a little. Whatever you choose, have fun on your trip in the great out doors!

Quote Originally Posted by Snivy View Post
    Hi! How is your day!

There are several ways of doing this but depending on what you'll be doing in the great outdoors, You need to be careful. If you're dead set on diapering while camping, I advise using a lot of powder, camping has a tendency to make diapers chafe and it can be really weird. But overall you would be overreacting if you think any thing is going to be wrong. You can carry on an extra bag kinda like a bookbag. Of course it will be another thing to carry around with you but at least you would have what you brought along with you.

I've never went diapered while I was camping but I know how material and the wilderness is because I went camping before. You just got to play it smart. As long as you don't make it seem you have nothing to hide, then you will be fine. Just don't make it convincing.

You also talked about it before in this thread: http://www.adisc.org/forum/showthrea...d-in-the-Woods
    Yeah, especially when the weather cooperates, it seems like I sometimes spend more night sleeping outdoors, rather than inside. O.o'

I've been an Eagle Scout for a while now, and yet I still haven't tired of camping!

I probably wasn't very clear at the time, but that last thread from a while back wasn't a true 'camping' trip per-se. The whole time we were either inside a (now completed!) cabin, or within a few yards of the cars. This trip however, is going to be more...rugged, I suppose. It's a backpacking trip through and through.

Unfortunately bringing a second bag is pretty much out, as my current pack is already like three feet tall and packed to the brim (mostly of food for four days).

I doubt I'll run into anyone else on this trail I'm planning on doing, as it's quite remote, so discovery isn't really an issue. I'm more worried about logistics.

Default Diapers under the Harvest Moom (camping advice?)

Quote Originally Posted by nites View Post
    I I hope what I said helped, even a little. Whatever you choose, have fun on your trip in the great out doors!
    Thanks! The trip itself is a fairly long backpacking trip on a trail I've done a few times before. I have a few spots for camping in mind, but it's not at all set in stone as it may change depending on the weather/trail conditions and whatnot.

As far as disposal goes, that alone has me thinking it might not be worth the effort. My gut tells me 'pack it in, pack it out' still stands, as it always has for me, as I'm not sure about 'other' methods like burying, or even burning..?

As far as temperature and weather goes, I've learned over the years that hiking in a gorge/valley is annoyingly unpredictable. I usually plan for rain regardless, but the forecast does say it should be mostly clear. I pray this is true, as my first campsite I have in mind is a creekbed a ways in, where I'm hoping to stop and purify water after a long trek in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan09 View Post
    Thanks! The trip itself is a fairly long backpacking trip on a trail I've done a few times before. I have a few spots for camping in mind, but it's not at all set in stone as it may change depending on the weather/trail conditions and whatnot.

As far as disposal goes, that alone has me thinking it might not be worth the effort. My gut tells me 'pack it in, pack it out' still stands, as it always has for me, as I'm not sure about 'other' methods like burying, or even burning..?

You definitely don't want to burying a disposable diaper in the backwoods. It's not good for the environment and animals and critters can get to it and it can be harmful to them as well. I'm not sure about burning, but as far as I can remember disposables diapers still have some plastics in them which when burned can be released into the atmosphere and harm the ozone.

I love backpacking and I love diapers, but I truly believe it's not worth the hassle to try and combine them. My two major things that always make me say no to diapers and backpacking is: (1) hiking all day while wearing a diaper, even the most comfiest of diapers, will still cause chaffing and rash, and (1) the space required in my backpack to haul decent diapers, even just a few, will take away space from something else more import (more important to backpacking that is), I mean diapers a big and bulking and take up quite a lot of space.