Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: im worried about making a voluntary stay at a mental hospital

Default im worried about making a voluntary stay at a mental hospital

I've been thinking about checking myself in for a while now due to my depression and suicidal thoughts are not seeming to go away and might have gotten worse since I started getting help over 3 months ago. Three weeks ago I had full intentions of committing suicide until my cousin randomly called me and talked me out of it. My therapist found out but not until week after it when I saw her, so she couldn't really force me to go because by then I was calm (still seemed like she was pretty angry with me, but I guess that's to be expected).

Anyway the thoughts are still happening and it seems like when when I start getting deppresed it gets really bad really fast. I only talk to a therapist for less then 2 hrs total a month (she's always late so she cuts my appointment short to not be late for the next person. Its not really fair in my opinion.) All they want to do is throw percriptions at me.
    I'm hopeing that if I voluntarily check myself in it would help speed up my chances of getting better sooner.

I've read that some places will let you bring certain things from home like a pillow,stuffed animal,a blanket, a book, possibly a MP3 player. Basicly stuff that would keep you comfortable and stuff you might need as long as you cant hurt yourself with it or anyone else.

Im kinda scared because I don't know what to expect but I know it would most likely get me better treatment and faster results then to keep dealing with things the way they have been going. My mother even suggested this to me before i even told her I was thinking about the same thing.

Does anyone have any advice or anything they can say about this?
    Any input is greatly appreciated
    Last edited by wyatt; 05-Sep-2014 at 12:32.

arandomoddity

Well, if you yourself, no influence from any one else, truly feels going in for a voluntary stay will be more efficient then I say go for it. I can't really compare much to what you're going through other than if you hate the therapist you see, go see another. Trust me, some doctors just have their heads up their asses. You really need to consider all that your giving up and to be sure it's worth going in for and not something friends/family and a more suited therapist who has proper time to see you and talk to you. :V that's about all I got, but good luck!
    Last edited by Nihlus; 04-Oct-2014 at 04:24.

Some of the medications can make you more suicidal time for a new doctor.
    They need to check if your meds are ok or not .
    Plus its your time that is payed for not her being late .
    Hugs take care.

I don't know what to say exactly to be honest. I'm sorry that your life seems to be that rough right now. And it's certainly nice to hear that you have a caring cousin.

I wonder, did you talk with anyone about it already by now? So by chance with that cousin, or especially with your wife? If I'm not mistaken about what your profile states.
    Since there's someone at your side... is there no way in finding a bit of comfort in that at those times?

However, I don't want to talk you out of going to seek help, it's your choice. And if you feel like it would be the right one, do it.
    What comes to mind would be a day-hospital, if those exist in your region? It would combine every kind of socio-therapeutic and psychotherapeutic support, but you could still go home when you've got nothing to attend to.
    Eitherway you'd probably get rid of your current doctor, which I think too would be the right decision. While some medication might have it's valid reason to be taken for a short time, I think she fails to see anything.

Best wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by mommyslittlewyatt View Post
    I've been thinking about checking myself in for a while now due to my depression and suicidal thoughts are not seeming to go away and might have gotten worse since I started getting help over 3 months ago. Three weeks ago I had full intentions of committing suicide until my cousin randomly called me and talked me out of it. My therapist found out but not until week after it when I saw her, so she couldn't really force me to go because by then I was calm (still seemed like she was pretty angry with me, but I guess that's to be expected).

Anyway the thoughts are still happening and it seems like when when I start getting deppresed it gets really bad really fast. I only talk to a therapist for less then 2 hrs total a month (she's always late so she cuts my appointment short to not be late for the next person. Its not really fair in my opinion.) All they want to do is throw percriptions at me.
    I'm hopeing that if I voluntarily check myself in it would help speed up my chances of getting better sooner.

I've read that some places will let you bring certain things from home like a pillow,stuffed animal,a blanket, a book, possibly a MP3 player. Basicly stuff that would keep you comfortable and stuff you might need as long as you cant hurt yourself with it or anyone else.

Im kinda scared because I don't know what to expect but I know it would most likely get me better treatment and faster results then to keep dealing with things the way they have been going. My mother even suggested this to me before i even told her I was thinking about the same thing.

Hello

I can understand the apprehension to making this decision.
    First you should be commended for having the ability to consider this. It shows that you understand the state you are in. (Been there Done that)
    Second They will do things to take precautions to help you. So You will be given Hospital scrubs to wear and the room will have the minimal needs in it. They are not being mean, they are attempting to help you.
    Third They have "stuff" that works a lot faster then what the doctor can prescribe and it works fast. I can remember how frustrating it was when I started my meds and it took three weeks to start to help.
    So bottom line is do what you need to do to help yourself. There is nothing wrong with going to the hospital to get help for this. If your leg was obviously broken would you wait to go to the ER?
    This is the same thing.

So I hope you go and we will be thinking of you until you come back. I have been there three times (Suicidal) and the last time a trip to the ER helped so much. They did not even admit me. They did a therapy session and gave me something to get some sleep. My wife took me home and I had another therapist meeting the next day. It all turned out to be a medication issue.

So Take care of you and we will see you when you get back.

hey there Wyatt...
    i wanted to say a few things. first is that if you think that you need some immediate help to deal with your mental health problems, well, that is what checking your self into a hospital is for. and there is an important point that hasn't been mentioned here that should be made. it's much better that you voluntarily check your self in as that way you can just as easily voluntarily check your self out again at any time you want too.

on the other hand, if the local police or EMS are called to come get you for some reason such as maybe you got careless while you were shaving and accidentally damaged your wrists.... well, in that situation you will be forcibly checked-in on a mental-health-hold until they can be sure that you are no longer a danger to your self or others.

it's a much more laid-back way of dealing with the folks in the wight-coats if you check your self in... believe me i know as i have been in the funny-farm both ways. and you get so much more done so much faster when those folks in the wight-coats aren't trying to tie you down and sedate you. besides that, you will feel so much more in control of your own treatment program if it is all voluntary.... and i just bet that they will let you have your teddy-bear... they let me have mine when i checked my self in and they didn't have to worry their about me so much.

what ever you decide, please do something positive for your self.
    lodge wrecker....

I'm going to say this, think of your family and loved ones. Then have a long conversation about it with them. Then decide on it together if you need to go or not. I know life can be rough, but there is always so much more to look forward to in life. You have to be patient. Try to remember what is important to you and your loved ones. This is a difficult decision to make. I hope for the best to come to you and your loved ones through this difficult time your going through. I'm sorry that I can't be of any further help.

Yes, like littlelodgewrecker so wisely said, be sure you have some control as to how you would go in. Talk this over with your therapist and make sure that there is a reasonable exit date. Sometimes if you commit yourself, "they" make the decision when you can leave. You certainly don't want to be in a state of mind where you would hurt yourself, but at the same time, you want to get better and then be in the world. I wish you the best in all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Yes, like littlelodgewrecker so wisely said, be sure you have some control as to how you would go in. Talk this over with your therapist and make sure that there is a reasonable exit date. Sometimes if you commit yourself, "they" make the decision when you can leave. You certainly don't want to be in a state of mind where you would hurt yourself, but at the same time, you want to get better and then be in the world. I wish you the best in all of this.
    Actually, it's always when they make the decision, even if you request it and they give the go ahead. It doesn't matter if your check-in is voluntary or not. They can keep you until they think you're ready to leave, especially if it's a long term rather than short term facility. Been there, have way more experience than I'd like to with it.

The generally accepted standards for "from home" stuff that is allowed these days is:

Clothing without strings or they'll provide scrubs (most places prefer you bring your own no-strings clothes though)
    Your own shampoo/soap/deoderant as long as there's no alcohol or it's not in the first 4-6 ingredients (that varies by facility)
    Books are usually okay, although some facilities are very strict about it being paperbacks only.
    Blankets are very facility specific. I've stayed in facilities that allow them and ones that don't.
    Pillows I've never personally experienced or heard of a facility have issues with that. The one I was in a few months ago let me have my naked anime chick body pillow as long as I kept it in my room, which is surprisingly open minded of them since many facilities won't even let you have colored pillow cases
    Stuffed animals are an area where facilities vastly differ. Some don't allow them at all, some only if they don't have zippers, and some don't care. And the ones that allow them may or may not rules about clothes on them. (One facility I was in years ago actually enforces their clothing requirements even on 3 inch teddy bears...)
    With very, VERY rare exceptions most facilities don't allow electronics that aren't directly medical related.

For example: Cellphones, tablets, and Kindles are usually not allowed (yes, even wifi only models for tablets and kindles). Some facilities will allow mp3 players that have speakers and no wireless capabilities. Unless the facility is really laid back headphones usually aren't allowed since you can choke yourself or others with them (and yeah, they totally ignore the fact you can do that with a pair sweatpants even without a string in them...)

If you're self-committing, call the facility first and see what their rules are is the best thing you can do. As I can tell you from first hand experience many facilities have different rules depending on if it was a self-commit or not.

Oh, and just an FYI considering the site: Many facilities will allow pacifiers as long as they meet certain requirements like not having straps or strings on them Many also allow you to bring your own diapers if you're incontinent. If you wear them for comfort only they may or may not allow them, that's something that is very dependent on the facility and the staff.

The reason I mention the diaper thing the way I did: I didn't have any of my normal incontinence diapers when I self-committed so I had to take what I had left of some bambino classico's and teddy's with me since I've been known to have allergic reactions to some diapers. I was questioned about the designs on intake, and was upfront with them about being both IC, DL, and my allergic reactions to some diapers. They only allowed me to keep them because I gave them a list of all the brands I'm known to have reactions to and every brand they kept in stock at that facility was on the list. They would have had to order a brand I could actually use and they didn't think it was worth the effort.

Hi everyone, thank you for all the help full replies

I've been talking to my wife and mother about this and they helped calm me down a lot, I decided I'm not going to check myself in unless things start to get really bad again.
    My therapist had to cancel my appointment that was scheduled for tomorrow and re scheduled me for the end of the month, she said there isn't anything she can do she can't see me any sooner and that maby checking myself in would be a good idea.( she said she had no idea things were this bad and she thought I was doing fine, I swear she must not listin to anything I say or tell her)

I'm going to try and schedule a appointment with a new therapist tomorrow who I was told is very good, the person who told me used to see my current therapist and stopped for the same reasons I mentioned above.
    My current therapist has been stressing me out by cutting my appointments short and everything else I mentioned, she has definitely been making problems worse.