Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beauty

Default Beauty

Well I am know by a lot of people for being very strange. People can't seem to understand me and those that do say I am mature beyond my years. With this comes a certain perspective on life and everyone's perspective is different. This leads me to my point every single person has a different definition of beauty. So for this post I want you to look inside your self and post maybe a picture or a drawing or even just talk about what beauty is to you.

I have yet to find what I see as true beauty, I can see it in my mind and feel it in my heart but i have much in life that I need to experience in life before I know but when I can accurately show you what I see as beauty I have nothing to post.

Maturity is only relative to what yourself. You are mature to what you think. My nanna would say maturity is staying up all night playing cards and drinking wine then watching Cars with my cousins. Never think of yourself as being more mature then other people your own age or you'll come a gutser one day.

Beauty in relation to what? Beauty as in the green Massachusetts forests the first time I saw them? Greener then anything I'd ever seen? Or beauty as in the Vienna, Austria? Or beauty as in sitting 150 (450feet) up on a tiny ledge up on a cliff and watching eagles circling over a forest way down below you? Beauty as in the desert when I finally see it again after being away from Australia for 6 months? Beauty as in a huge thunderstorm?
    Beauty as in my baby cousin Katherine? Beauty as in doing that perfect move while climbing? Beauty as in realising that a huge, extremely heavy metal that is extreme emotion is actually a song of extreme sadness about war? Beauty as in my mums cooking after starving myself traveling? Beauty as in reading a poem at a perfect time in your life when it has a true effect on you?

Beauty can be a picture, a sound, a smell, a thought, a word, a feeling, an emotion. I've experienced beauty all through my life and I don't feel there will ever be what you call "True beauty."

I Googled to try and find some philosophical quotes on beauty, but gave up when I found this:
    "Beauty depends on size as well as symmetry. No very small animal can be beautiful, for looking at it takes so small a portion of time that the impression of it will be confused. Nor can any very large one, for a whole view of it cannot be had at once, and so there will be no unity and completeness. --Aristotle"

Which I find funny. "If it's really small, or really big, then it ain't beautiful"

Those fatsoes and size 0s could learn from that...

Anyway, I think beauty is a broad term. I'd find a perfectly drawn circle beautiful, I find pictures of the earth beautiful, I find philosophy beautiful, I find maths beautiful...

An example? I find this song beautiful.

Such a generalised term. I guess the best way to describe it is that beauty is what you perceive as beautiful. That may seem pretty obvious, but there's really no other way to describe the term beyond it's dictionary-definition. What's beautiful is a matter of opinion, a matter a every individual's preference, and that draws heavily from variance.

However, one thing I do believe is that to perceive something as having beauty, there is usually an understanding of the underlying concepts, motifs and structure of the thing in question. Like a knowledge of the history of it, a familiarity of the it's life story, how it came into being, it's composition and it's purpose. I wouldn't say this is true is all cases, but I find people who denote something as beautiful usually have some interest and understanding of it.

But most importantly, beauty is about the atmosphere it creates and the feelings it arouses or subdues. How it's aura and prominence translates from it's form into mood and emotion.

That is what I am looking for what your perception of beauty is. I what to know what is beautiful to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie F View Post
    I Googled to try and find some philosophical quotes on beauty, but gave up when I found this:
    Then you clearly looked in the wrong places as I can find tons.

I don't like standard beauty - there is no beauty without strangeness. ~Karl Lagerfeld

What humbugs we are, who pretend to live for Beauty, and never see the Dawn! ~Logan Pearsall Smith

Beauty Quotes and Sayings

Beauty of course is in the eye of the beholder. For me it's music, whether it's a Chopin piano concerto, Debussy's Clair de Lune, etc. For some it's art, and others, the human form. For some, it is to be experienced out doors on a warm sunny day, or in the gentle snowfall on a wooded path. And finally, beauty is moving from this world into the next as we move through the light into an overwhelming peace.

H3gel, we need to start drinking beer. I hope I wasn't the only one to understand your post or let alone agree with it! I'm starting to see a trend.

In the meantime, though, I'll let other people define beauty -- beauty is where you don't expect it to be, and if you look deep enough into any subject, any person, any idea, it's there. It merely needs to be uncovered, and it identifies itself in different ways to different folks!