Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: If Homosexuality is not a disorder, why is Paraphilic Infantilism considered one?

Default If Homosexuality is not a disorder, why is Paraphilic Infantilism considered one?

Under the DSM-5, Paraphilic Infantilism is considered a disorder, but Homosexuality is not. Why is this? What's the difference between Homosexuality and Infantilism? They both seem to be harmless...

I would assume it's the same reason some people would like to believe homosexuality still is a disorder: People can't accept that other people are different, so they make up fake diseases/disorders to explain it. That said, it's possible there is some kind of scientific thing behind it for some people making it a medical thing. (Developmental and growing issues maybe? I don't know, im not a scientist.) But I'm leaning to the fact that people can't accept differences, especially one as far out as to someone wanting to act little.

From what I've been reading, it appears that the DSM-5 now lists Sexual Paraphilias as being benign as long as it doesn't cause harm or distress to the individual, thereby identifying it not as a disorder, but as an interest or trait.

As I understand it, most "authorities" on psychology (of which the DSM is one of many, and not that well respected outside of the US) only define conditions that are detrimental to the individual concerned. As I understand it, the paraphilia listed in the DSM only apply when behaviour is detrimental to the self or others. Most AB/DLs would fall into that category.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    As I understand it, most "authorities" on psychology (of which the DSM is one of many, and not that well respected outside of the US) only define conditions that are detrimental to the individual concerned.
    The DSM distinguishes between conditions that are inherently unhealthy (eg, necrophilia) and ones that are in no way inherently unhealthy but can be if they bother the person enough. As far as I'm aware paraphilic infantilism is the latter.

AB/DLism has been compared to homosexuality often on this site, I suppose because both have gone against the whims of society. The problem is that it's comparing apples and oranges. They're both fruit but they aren't the same. The causes are different as are the outcomes. Homosexuality is a sexual preference and more recently, is being recognized and accepted by society. If one doesn't accept it, they are now in the minority, at least in this country.

Liking diapers and feeling like a baby is something very different. It's not accepted by the wide majority of society, something we've seen again and again in social media. Its causes are different as well. Neither are a choice, though society might think otherwise. For whatever reason, we are either hard wired to the one, and imprinted to the other. We share similar problems in terms of acceptance, but they are different.

We can live alone with our desires, wearing diapers in our own homes behind closed doors and no one has to know. People who prefer same sex partners want to be seen and accepted with their partner just like any heterosexual couple, and they should have this right. I know that some of us would like to be seen in public, wearing a diaper and dressed as a toddler, something society would react adversely to. But there isn't a couple that is being affected, just the individual. Is it fair? Maybe not, but it doesn't have the same legal entanglements that being recognized as a couple has.

Quote Originally Posted by AEsahaettr View Post
    The DSM distinguishes between conditions that are inherently unhealthy (eg, necrophilia) and ones that are in no way inherently unhealthy but can be if they bother the person enough. As far as I'm aware paraphilic infantilism is the latter.
    Yep, it is.

My therapist let me borrow her copy while waiting for the doctor who writes the prescriptions to get back from lunch the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    AB/DLism has been compared to homosexuality often on this site, I suppose because both have gone against the whims of society. The problem is that it's comparing apples and oranges. They're both fruit but they aren't the same. The causes are different as are the outcomes. Homosexuality is a sexual preference and more recently, is being recognized and accepted by society. If one doesn't accept it, they are now in the minority, at least in this country.

Liking diapers and feeling like a baby is something very different. It's not accepted by the wide majority of society, something we've seen again and again in social media. Its causes are different as well. Neither are a choice, though society might think otherwise. For whatever reason, we are either hard wired to the one, and imprinted to the other. We share similar problems in terms of acceptance, but they are different.

We can live alone with our desires, wearing diapers in our own homes behind closed doors and no one has to know. People who prefer same sex partners want to be seen and accepted with their partner just like any heterosexual couple, and they should have this right. I know that some of us would like to be seen in public, wearing a diaper and dressed as a toddler, something society would react adversely to. But there isn't a couple that is being affected, just the individual. Is it fair? Maybe not, but it doesn't have the same legal entanglements that being recognized as a couple has.
    I disagree with part of this, but agree with the last part.

Where I disagree is that I think the level of societal acceptance shouldn't make a difference to how we compare ABDL and homosexuality. 20, or even 10 years ago, being homosexual was a minority position, widely disapproved of by society at large. People went out of their way to keep it secret, but also practiced it behind closed doors. I think that many people would like to be more publicly honest about their ABDL feelings. Not that they want to parade about in a diaper, but that they'd like to wear one under their regular garments around friends and not worry about being found out, or be able to have a diaper change before bed with a girlfriend present and not have it be incredibly weird. I can understand that, and I'd like to think that the current acceptance of homosexuality does in fact herald an upcoming age where a broader array of sexual preferences will be accepted by society at large. That doesn't mean any one person has to like it. For example, I personally am kinda grossed out by images and description of homosexual lovemaking. But I would never tell someone else that it's wrong for them to be homosexual, I don't think less of someone because that person appears in public with a same sex partner, and I couldn't care less what they do behind closed doors, long as it's not shoved in my face. I think that's about where a lot of ABDL people would like to be. No need to flaunt the diapers, but it would be amazing if people could know that they existed and not judge us for it.

That said, your last couple sentences are totally right. Homosexuality is a broad and important issue because it affects relations between people. It was affecting things like hospital visits for a sick partner, inheritance and wills, and health insurance from employers. Diapers don't have that sort of broad sweep. They're a private thing, perhaps for an individual, perhaps between a couple loving people that want to role-play a bit. They don't present the kind of societal challenges that homosexuality did and still does for some people.

Because a lot of people believe that there's a cure for infantilism. And if a cure exists, then it's a disease.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieRoni View Post
    Where I disagree is that I think the level of societal acceptance shouldn't make a difference to how we compare ABDL and homosexuality.
    I'm not entirely clear on what you're saying with the rest of your post, I think I should point out that 'how much society accepts it' is definitely something that would contribute to homosexuality not being classified as a disorder - and AB/DL being classified as one. Society says (on the surface) that it's okay to be gay now, so the DSM no longer classifies it as a disorder. If homosexuality was still utterly unacceptable in society it would still be considered a disorder.

Also, to respond to OP, I wonder if another reason one is considered a disorder and the other not is that it's generally accepted now that gay/straight people are 'born that way', while fetishes such as ABDL are generally seen as the effect of other things on a person's mind. In short one is seen as inherent, and one is seen as the result of 'damage'. I mean, how many of us on this forum talk about a hard childhood - or even a great childhood - leading to us wanting to be small again? And yet, even though we have lots of LGBTQAI+ people here we rarely see posts on what made someone gay: most of us are content to accept we just are and always were that way. Correctly or not, ABDL may be considered a disorder at least partially because it's something most see as being caused by something else, usually psychological damage, and for many an aspect of a person that is only there due to (negative) things happening in their life is an aspect that can be considered a disorder.