Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dissection's today

Default Dissection's today

I just found out that the original dissect a frog is going towards other animals and today I found out right next to my class they were dissecting baby pigs and kittens?!?! Why kitten's?

I don't understand it either. I tried when my school was doing it to get them to move to an alternative like computer programs or models, which offer the same if not better learning capabilities to the student and it's more cost effective in the long run. A model or a computer program can be reused, an animal can only be cut up once then they get thrown in the trash, this is not how we should be treating the animals we inhabit the earth with.

Yeah, there are computer programs, xray's and were still using modern methods cutting open an animal. -_-

Cutting open animals is still useful for learning. If someone is going to be a surgeon, or perform autopsies, or otherwise be cutting biological things open as part of their job later in life, it's good experience. You want to deny kids the opportunity to find out if they like (or dislike) doing that kind of thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Snivy View Post
    I just found out that the original dissect a frog is going towards other animals and today I found out right next to my class they were dissecting baby pigs and kittens?!?! Why kitten's?
    I took many different Biology courses in College. I can't even remember the different things we dissected. I remember doing a frog, fetal pigs, & adult cats. I remember my anatomy class used the cats. The professor said it was because cat's bone (structure/number?) are very similar to human. So we'd dissect the cat, and then use human skeletons for a lot of stuff. Most of the people in my classes were preparing for medical careers.

It bothered me some to be doing that stuff, but I grew up on a farm; and have had to do worse. I wasn't a fan of doing the dissections.

Quote Originally Posted by Snivy View Post
    Why kitten's?
    They're trying to figure out where all the awesome comes from, I bet.

More seriously, it's probably related to the availability, and thus cost, of the preserved animals. In regard to using a simulator as someone suggested, I don't think there's any simulation program that gives all the same sensations and tactile feedback as actually dissecting an animal by hand.

We still cut open human cadavers in medical school. We dissect actual humans for the purpose of learning.

There's a good reason for this, in that there is not yet a better way to get a real-world grasp of anatomy. Maybe that will change in our lifetimes, but for now, take the opportunity to dissect something as that: an opportunity.

Hello

I have a biology background and I have dissected my share of animals: Rats, mink, fetal pigs, and Dogfish sharks in high school and college.

Yes there are alternative models available and should be used for people not interested in a science career. But if you are going into biology or a biology related field there is things that can not be clearly understood until you can see the tissue interaction and function.

As far as type most of the animals available for school dissection are surplus/waste that is being used instead of wasted i.e. incinerated.

There has been multiple arguments on the necessity of dissection and the numbers that are used have dropped dramatically with the Animal welfare act and the three R's.

However post school the amount of tissue that I have studied on is just as important. I can not count the number of pigs feet I have sown back of to get the feel of the correct tension required on the new suture materials that cam out and also understanding the correct way to do live tissue handling so one does not cause more damage then already suffered by a patient be it human or animal.

So with out getting into the animal right -vs-animal research argument there is a correct time and place for animal dissection, and if it is required for a class then that has already been determined. So the thing to do is remember the sacrifice the animal has given and use it to gain as much knowledge and understanding as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by egor View Post
    Hello

I have a biology background and I have dissected my share of animals: Rats, mink, fetal pigs, and Dogfish sharks in high school and college.

Yes there are alternative models available and should be used for people not interested in a science career. But if you are going into biology or a biology related field there is things that can not be clearly understood until you can see the tissue interaction and function.

As far as type most of the animals available for school dissection are surplus/waste that is being used instead of wasted i.e. incinerated.

There has been multiple arguments on the necessity of dissection and the numbers that are used have dropped dramatically with the Animal welfare act and the three R's.

However post school the amount of tissue that I have studied on is just as important. I can not count the number of pigs feet I have sown back of to get the feel of the correct tension required on the new suture materials that cam out and also understanding the correct way to do live tissue handling so one does not cause more damage then already suffered by a patient be it human or animal.

So with out getting into the animal right -vs-animal research argument there is a correct time and place for animal dissection, and if it is required for a class then that has already been determined. So the thing to do is remember the sacrifice the animal has given and use it to gain as much knowledge and understanding as possible.
    This says it perfectly. If you want to observe the changes in physiological structure and function as you go through the various groups of animals (invertebrates to fish to amphibians, etc), dissection is still necessary. And while computer simulations can highlight the most important points, you don't really get to see the whole picture unless you use an actual animal. Only then do you get to see every detail of how everything goes together.

Since humans are mammals, dissecting mammals is important, as all mammals will share major similarities with us. I'll admit, though, I'd be squeamish about dissecting a cat! I dissected a rat in school, and didn't really have an issue (although by then that was about my tenth dissection - the pig I did in high school was really upsetting). It's hard to do a cat when you've owned one. But like egor said, we can be respectful to the animal for its sacrifice, and use the knowledge we gain to the benefit of others.

Dissected a few organisms during a Zoology course. Can't say I particularly enjoyed it but was more put off by the smell and feel of cutting into flesh than by cutting into a dead organism. Never left the lab hungry. Good diet technique I suppose. Now, when we cut into a live earth worm that was soaked in ethanol to study the circulatory system of an organism whilst still alive was a bit for me. That could have been me. I'm often an organism that is soaked in ethanol. In all reality though, diagrams do little to really show a student how any systems truly look or operate or feel.