Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Coin collectors?

Default Any Coin collectors?

Hello

I enjoy collecting coins and have always wanted to find people of the same mind set.

So I have started a new group: World of coin collections.

If you are interested please come and join the group.

Egor

Well... I do my hardest to collect coins and banknotes... but I just end up spending them... :-/

(Sorry -- bad joke!)

I remember when I was a kid I had a small coin collection. I can't remember which country it was from, but my favourite coin was a silver one with a square hole in the middle. I loved the fact that you could wear coins round your neck like a necklace-wallet!

I think I need to de-clutter now -- I collect junk without even trying! But have fun with your collection! :-)

I have a smattering of old coins from around the world, and coins are quite interesting. I tend more toward banknotes, personally, but I do enjoy coins, as well. I have coins from 1907 Haiti, various 1950s era stuff from Europe, some random American coins, and a few others. I'd have to actually dig through the albums to remember all the coins I have.

I might have to go have a look at that group.

I collected coins when I was a kid and I still have them. Egor, you may be like me, getting Buffalo Head nickels and Indian Head pennies in your change when you were a kid. I was always excited. I even got some Standing Liberty quarters that way. I also found a 1914 D Lincoln penny. I have a few of the big 1 cents, and a half dime. Early American coins tell us about our history which I always find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDragonAurkarm View Post
    I have a smattering of old coins from around the world, and coins are quite interesting. I tend more toward banknotes, personally, but I do enjoy coins, as well. I have coins from 1907 Haiti, various 1950s era stuff from Europe, some random American coins, and a few others. I'd have to actually dig through the albums to remember all the coins I have.

I might have to go have a look at that group.
    I have several coins from Haiti my oldest is an 1842 penny. It would be fun to have someone to talk to about them.

Quote Originally Posted by egor View Post
    I enjoy collecting coins and have always wanted to find people of the same mind set.
    I loved collecting coins as a kid. Nothing especially valuable, mind you, but I'd get the little booklets with slots for pennies, quarters, etc., and fill them up. I can remember going crazy with glee when I found a 1919 penny in a pocketful of change my dad had given me to sort through. That was the oldest coin of any kind that I stumbled upon. Nowadays, of course, there's eBay.

I still have those collections, but haven't added to them since my childhood. I should probably show them to my daughter and see if she'd like to devote some time to updating them.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I collected coins when I was a kid and I still have them. Egor, you may be like me, getting Buffalo Head nickels and Indian Head pennies in your change when you were a kid. I was always excited. I even got some Standing Liberty quarters that way. I also found a 1914 D Lincoln penny. I have a few of the big 1 cents, and a half dime. Early American coins tell us about our history which I always find interesting.
    I never got any of them it was always wheat back pennies and the other countries that I got in rolls for coins.

I agree, I am always mindful of the period that the coins came from and why they might be in the conditions they are in.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    I loved collecting coins as a kid. Nothing especially valuable, mind you, but I'd get the little booklets with slots for pennies, quarters, etc., and fill them up. I can remember going crazy with glee when I found a 1919 penny in a pocketful of change my dad had given me to sort through. That was the oldest coin of any kind that I stumbled upon. Nowadays, of course, there's eBay.

I still have those collections, but haven't added to them since my childhood. I should probably show them to my daughter and see if she'd like to devote some time to updating them.
    I would suggest that. It is something very special in my heart when my dad and I spent the day going through coins together.

I have already started collecting Wheat backs and Indian heads, buffalo, and pre1960 nickels for both my son and daughter. I plan to mix them in with $20 of pennies and nickels for their 10th birthday.
    Last edited by egor; 20-Aug-2014 at 06:33.

I did the same thing Cottontail, and now they reside in the same state of stasis.

That sounds a fair bit like my coin collection. I've gained a few coins over the past few years as friends have traveled and brought back things for me. Aside from that, though, I've only added to my banknote collection of my own accord.

Got a small collection of bullion coins - Silver Eagles, Maples and the like - but don't collect in the numismatic sense.