Thread: Lucky Aussies, wasteful 'Muricans

Default Lucky Aussies, wasteful 'Muricans

Lucky Australia still gets Ford Falcons, and also get the Holden Ute which is basically a modern El Camino.
    The Coupe Utility (Ute) is basically a station wagon but behind the front seats is a bed. The closest we have in America is the 4-door Subaru Baja, which they stopped making in 2006.
    Utes are much more efficient than big pickup trucks in everything except mudding and off-roading and the like. They have better fuel economy and they're cheaper than, say, a Chevy Colorado.
    Chevrolet and Holden are both owned by GM. Therefore, wouldn't they be able to sell the Ute under Chevy like they did with the El Camino? Americans want something that is useful but cheap and efficient... But the ute category hasn't taken off here. Does anybody have a theory why?

Quote Originally Posted by PoisonSnivy View Post
    Lucky Australia still gets Ford Falcons, and also get the Holden Ute which is basically a modern El Camino.
    The Coupe Utility (Ute) is basically a station wagon but behind the front seats is a bed. The closest we have in America is the 4-door Subaru Baja, which they stopped making in 2006.
    Utes are much more efficient than big pickup trucks in everything except mudding and off-roading and the like. They have better fuel economy and they're cheaper than, say, a Chevy Colorado.
    Chevrolet and Holden are both owned by GM. Therefore, wouldn't they be able to sell the Ute under Chevy like they did with the El Camino? Americans want something that is useful but cheap and efficient... But the ute category hasn't taken off here. Does anybody have a theory why?
    Actually we have more of their stuff than you would think about 70% of all Chevy cars are on Aussie Platforms starting with the mid 2000's GTO/G8. it is made off the Holden Monareo Body and is identical almost to a T. in fact it was also popular enough to be shiped to Brittan to become the Vauxhall Monareo. that being said even your New Camaro's were all designed in austrailia. it is sad they can out Murrica us in all but Horsepower and Displacement when it comes to cars. now yes a "Ute" would be a fun little toy but i would be too tempted to drop a 2009 Corvette ZR1 Motor in one, grow a mullet then move to a double wide trailer and start drinking PBR. that being said i will just stick with my "Stang-o-rang" (1992 Mustang GT) my "Tank" (91 ford bronco with a monster 427 Stroker) and my 88 Firebird (still haven't come up with a nick-name yet but it will come in time)

The previous model Holden Commodore (VE) was sold in the US as the Pontiac G8 for 2 years, and before that the VZ Monaro (essentially a Commodore coupe) was sold as the Pontiac GTO. Funnily enough the Commodore has just been released in the US as the Chevrolet SS, which is cool. It's a pity they don't import the 6.2L, supercharged 600hp 6sp manual HSV (Holden Special Vehicles) version though. If you're lucky, they might just release the SS as a ute (pickup) though.

My favourite El Camino rip-off has to be the Subaru Brumby (BRAT in the US). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhbmfNTNyro This one is from Aussie, with a sweet STi conversion... I'd love one of those, but I am a Subie fanboy.

Another fun fact is that the Cadillac CTS and the Chevrolet Camaro were tuned for handling by the Australians and are based off the same platform as the Commodore.

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiBoi View Post
    but I am a Subie fanboy.
    no shame in that i wouldn't go as far as calling myself a Fan boy other than an S2K and an Rotary FD RX-7 the only Jap car i could see myself driving would be a WRX impreza my cousin had a 1999 or 2000 model Impreza 4WD manual. he swaped in a 06 WRX STI 2L turbo motor and built it out to WRC Specs. beefed up suspension all terain tires, you name it he had it. we spent more than our fair share of time out in the desert running the trails take it out to the lake run up and down the "play beach" which is a large packed sand beach with tide pools and dunes and hills. we'd go out and just hammer on it had so much fun. he eventually wants to enter it in the Baja 500 Rally as a rookie unsponsored. he is slowly building up his spare parts stok right now.

Sweet, that sounds awesome! I drive a 2003 Forester 2.5X, pretty sweet ride. Fast enough, not turbo but has heaps of torque. Great car for gravel and light offroading, it doesn't handle like an SUV because of the low COG. Also, with the 50:50 torque split 5-speed manual, you can get the tail out by punching the throttle halfway around a corner... in the dry. :P First time it happened I wasn't ready and just about spun it. On gravel it's supreme, so composed. Only problem is it's done 208,000km and the head gaskets have a slight oil leak...