Thread: Compact Mac WANTED

Default Compact Mac WANTED

I need a compact mac so I can Mac OS,Lisa OS,and MacPaint/MacWrite. What model of compact mac can run these programs and won't cost an arm and a leg

What's wrong with a PC/laptop and open-source free software? Any Mac product is going to cost an arm and two legs, I'm afraid.

Cheapest MAC would be a MAC Mini... but you still need a monitor. I'm not sure if it comes with a keyboard and mouse?

if you want a compact mac ... you are better of trying a hackintosh ... can use pretty much any windows hardware you want and custom build it to be the size you want. However, because it wouldn't be a genuine thing expect to have a lot of head scratching to get things working and expect to potentially have problems with it not working at all.

Otherwise, you will just have to fork out the cash for a mac itself. A mac mini is ok but you will need to buy all the peripheries ... it literally only comes with a power cable (which you are probably luck to get at all really).

You sure write some odd introductory posts - if I used your other posts as a guide, I'd expect you were looking for some sort of ancient Macintosh, back when they were actually unique machines that may have been worth the premium price they cost.

Ignoring those hidden requirements, if you want cheaper than the Mac Mini, you could go the grey market route - buy a copy of the OS (which you can presumably do here http://store.apple.com/ca/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion) and create yourself a hackintosh with a Core i3, which would be your cheapest option (not including the time you spend messing with hardware and the flaming hoops you may have to jump to get the OS installed.

You could always scour Craigslist or something, they probably have relatively cheap options in the official mac category... for Lisa OS, I doubt you're going to get anywhere without an emulator, and for that you're better off with running an inexpensive AMD/Intel running Linux and the only Lisa Emulator that I'm aware of http://lisa.sunder.net/

When in doubt ebay! But honestly Apple products are not cheap. So you are going to end up spending a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    You sure write some odd introductory posts - if I used your other posts as a guide, I'd expect you were looking for some sort of ancient Macintosh, back when they were actually unique machines that may have been worth the premium price they cost.

Ignoring those hidden requirements, if you want cheaper than the Mac Mini, you could go the grey market route - buy a copy of the OS (which you can presumably do here http://store.apple.com/ca/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion) and create yourself a hackintosh with a Core i3, which would be your cheapest option (not including the time you spend messing with hardware and the flaming hoops you may have to jump to get the OS installed.

You could always scour Craigslist or something, they probably have relatively cheap options in the official mac category... for Lisa OS, I doubt you're going to get anywhere without an emulator, and for that you're better off with running an inexpensive AMD/Intel running Linux and the only Lisa Emulator that I'm aware of http://lisa.sunder.net/
    I am looking for an ancient macintosh, from the 1980s, I don't use emulator because that is like mixing pepsi and cream soda and calling it crystal pepsi.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	21695
    I need something like this

Personaly I would go with an emulator, but I suggest you keep an eye out at garage sales and thrift stores ect.