Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inability to feel nostalgia

Default Inability to feel nostalgia

I cannot feel nostalgia, and I will explain why (it's a bad beginning sentence, I know). When most people feel nostalgia, I feel a medley of anger, sadness, and depression. It just is absolutely impossible to feel nostalgia, likely because of years of memory perversion. Sometimes, I feel overwhelming sadness for no reason, sometimes, anger for no reason, and sometimes a really bad case of depression. I have to be very careful, as in the past, It has cause embarrassing incidents, including one involving a Pizza Hut and a hard floor. I wIll state what has happened in the past now

2008- Put Put To The Pizza Hut (if you get this joke, your a genius )
    One day back in 2008, I wen to pick up an order from the Pizza Hut, basically, our stove was broken, and we needed to eat. So I go to the Pizza Hut, go in, and wait for the food to be ready, while waiting, I see this kid coloring a picture, what he was coloring, made me have an episode. It was a pb&j otter coloring page, I watched that show as a 1st grader, I started shaking, sweating, and then I finally collapsed to the floor, quietly crying. The Pizza Hut employees come out to the dining area with wet floor signs and put them in the isle. This nice girl asks me what the problem is, and I respond that I have "issues", so a few moments latter, she puts me and the pizza in a delivery car and drives me home. I give her a tip and she leaves.

I still have no clue why this happens
    It has happened for many years

Any responses?
    Last edited by kitterdafoxy; 16-Aug-2014 at 21:46.

Hello.
    Don't take this the wrong way, but:

This sounds like unsolved issues resurfacing. This can also be supressed memories or feelings.

I don't know if this link is anwhere near what you have, but I'll link it anyway.
    http://www.goodtherapy.org/therapy-f...verwhelm.html#

If you are lucky these incidents can be reduced with therapy.

That sounds like PTSD o_O You should see someone for that! Also, I'm not sure if repressed memories were a hoax or not (there was some controversy) but sounds like that, too?

Also, sometimes anger, sadness etc.. belong to the feeling of nostalgia. Many things make me feel very sad while also nostalgic. Mostly the sadness stems from not being able to experience things like those anymore, like going to a ballpit with friends or being taken care of. Maybe that is part of your problem?

This is way beyond not feeling nostalgia. I could see that could be a problem in and of itself but not that big of one. I don't think it's responsible to try to diagnose your problem online but what you describe is definitely a problem. Please see a professional so you can get to the bottom of this. You can deal with a lack of warm fuzzies about the past when you've addressed collapsing in an uncontrolled heap. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by TyphaHare View Post
    That sounds like PTSD o_O You should see someone for that! Also, I'm not sure if repressed memories were a hoax or not (there was some controversy) but sounds like that, too?
    Unless he has had some other event that he has not related to us, it is NOT PTSD.

That doesn't mean it isn't a serious condition however. If your feelings are getting in the way of your life, then you need to get help. If you just feel sad or angry at times but you get over it in a way that doesn't keep you from functioning normally, then it's actually not unnormal. We all get sad or angry at times and many of us are unhappy with our situations but that doesn't make us cliniclaly depressed, it just means life sucks sometimes

Kittermunk, please get professional help. This is completely different from nostalgic feelings most experience, as others have said your "incidents" can be feelings rising from unresolved issues or traumatic events in your life.

PTSD doesn't have to come from war. Being triggered by past events generally means that you had a traumatic experience in the past and that you should seek therapy. And I'm sorry to hear that a PB&J coloring page brought you to tears... that show was such a comfort to me growing up and even now that it's upsetting for me to think that you were around the same age and experiencing terrible things.

Hope you get better.

I didn't say it came from war, but it comes from some fatal or near fatal event that either occurs directly or in the presence of the patient.
    He didn't indicate he went through any of that.

Quote Originally Posted by willnotwill View Post
    I didn't say it came from war, but it comes from some fatal or near fatal event that either occurs directly or in the presence of the patient.
    He didn't indicate he went through any of that.
    But considering that there is no requirement for any fatality or even near fatality to occur… You are still wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by incontinentGM24 View Post
    But considering that there is no requirement for any fatality or even near fatality to occur… You are still wrong.
    Sexual violence also qualifies, but it's no where as namby pamby as you describe it.
    The DSM which defines the disorder officially requires actual or threatened violent or accidental death, serious injury, or sexual violence that happens directly to the patient, witnessed by the patient, or in some cases to a close relative or friend. The only other accepted stressor are for people who are repeatedly exposed to evidence of one of the above.

Further, the reaction needs to be an "intrusion" event from the original stressor. However, without any indication that his reaction to the coloring kid was somehow associated with one of the legitimate stressors, something else is going on.

There's a ton of psychiatric conditions out there and I've pretty much given the poster the yardstick for him to determine if he needs to think, but your armchair diagnosis doesn't help. It does no good to treat for the WRONG diagnosis.

Nobody can diagnose over forum posts.

If his life is disrupted by the events, he should seek professional help. I would say, falling to the floor in panic attacks probably counts.