Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my Next Grand Acheivement

Default my Next Grand Acheivement

i have recently aquired a 1988 Pontiac Firebird 305 V8 automatic T-top. i paid $900 for the car and it runs Very strong. but has quite a few suspension issues mostly front end and some major cosmetic issues (thankfully no structure damage). i bought it from a local small private car dealer, he originally had it marked at $1600 and later was dropped to $1200 after sitting for about 3 weeks, dropped one more time to $800 and i jumped on it after looking at what was wrong with it i realised i can swing $800 plus repairs and paint i will still be under the asking price for a mint factory car. the right side of the car is decent door and fender are mint but it has a pretty decent sized dent in the rear quarter and the left side of the car is pretty much totaled but like i said it is all pannel so the structure is still mint so i picked up a fender and door from a local salvage lot. paid $125 even for a door, fender, some skirting, lock cylinders, and a near mint set of Glass T-tops with the key to lock them. later next week i am going back with my next pay check to further strip the 91 firebird they have and yank a 350 Vortec HO motor out of a suburban which i will break down and build into a street strip 385 Stroker motor for the car.

if this don't get closed before hand i will post updates and restoration and motor build pics as i go.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10483934_738911786167996_712809908354012402_n.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	21683

Name:	997024_738911799501328_5987257661931816072_n.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	21684

htese were the pics i got of the good side the day i got it.

Quote Originally Posted by w0lfpack91 View Post
    i have recently aquired a 1988 Pontiac Firebird 305 V8 automatic T-top. i paid $900 for the car and it runs Very strong. but has quite a few suspension issues mostly front end and some major cosmetic issues (thankfully no structure damage). i bought it from a local small private car dealer, he originally had it marked at $1600 and later was dropped to $1200 after sitting for about 3 weeks, dropped one more time to $800 and i jumped on it after looking at what was wrong with it i realised i can swing $800 plus repairs and paint i will still be under the asking price for a mint factory car. the right side of the car is decent door and fender are mint but it has a pretty decent sized dent in the rear quarter and the left side of the car is pretty much totaled but like i said it is all pannel so the structure is still mint so i picked up a fender and door from a local salvage lot. paid $125 even for a door, fender, some skirting, lock cylinders, and a near mint set of Glass T-tops with the key to lock them. later next week i am going back with my next pay check to further strip the 91 firebird they have and yank a 350 Vortec HO motor out of a suburban which i will break down and build into a street strip 385 Stroker motor for the car.

if this don't get closed before hand i will post updates and restoration and motor build pics as i go.

Name:	10483934_738911786167996_712809908354012402_n.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	21683

Name:	997024_738911799501328_5987257661931816072_n.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	21684

htese were the pics i got of the good side the day i got it.
    Good for you. Back in the day I had two cars which I built for the 1/4 mile track, a '67 Pontiac LeMans convertible, and a Duster 340, 1970. The Duster didn't stay a 340 for too long as I bored it 30 over making it a 360. Buddy gonna shut you down.....ah...you know how it goes!

Thats a good price you got the car for and the parts, it will be a fun project and look awesome when its finished!

even still with the bad parts of the car i love to fill up the tank, take the tops out and cruise US 62 from paducah to calvert city at night and talk on my CB at anyone who is still up and listening. last post i made i was up at the Loves truck stop off the freeway at kentucky lake.

Nice car ,shame it's useless over here due to Europe's eco meddling ,winding roads and the $9.50c gallon gas price
    P/s also $420 road tax a year

Quote Originally Posted by parcelboy2 View Post
    Nice car ,shame it's useless over here due to Europe's eco meddling ,winding roads and the $9.50c gallon gas price
    P/s also $420 road tax a year
    winding roads dont bother the car much there is a stretch of road out here that runs south between the two lakes. the area is called LBL state park and the road is refered to as the Trace nothing but hills, switch backs and winding roads and that car can do a majority of it over 70 MPH (112 KPH) switch back i take at 50 MPH (80 KPH) if i push it hard enough but the eco and fuel would put a stop to the car

Quote Originally Posted by parcelboy2 View Post
    What's the rough mpg ? I bet it's below 20 ?
    the current stock 5.0L 305CI V8 gets about 13 city and about maybe 16-17 freeway. but that won't matter much because i am going to build a performance Small block 385 Stroker with performance heads and a mild Lunati Camshaft off of a early 2000's model Aluminum Vortec 5.7 350CI V8 engine. so ill probbably drop to around 7-8 city and 13-14 freeway.

also i get lower than 13 after i sound my horn because by default after Dixie you are almost required to throttle mash an dscreeem Yeehaw really loudly, lol maybe not yeehaw but i do throttle mash and light up the tires

here be dixie for those who don't know it

Sweet ride, I wasn't coming on ADISC today to find a build thread, but I'll take it! Please keep it up, I love to see builds progress.

today i had just picked up two more sets of T-tops so that puts me at 4 full sets. gonna go down to Chevy Dealer monday and have them all re-keyed along with the car so i have one door key for all the tops and doors. Rain Kept me from Replacing the Fender and door today like i had Originally Intended but i did get to take a Better Look at the suspension wiith no load and found out i have Bad Bushings in the rear Stabelizer Bar and a Bad Wheel bearing in the Front Right which would be where my loud Clunk comes from under Heavy Acceleration. still Got to figure out the Over Heating Problem, i have no problems idling or at City Road speeds or even State Highway speeds but anything over 55 MPH it just Slowly starts Climbing