Thread: The Big Black Dog

Default The Big Black Dog

Hello

I know that depression effects a lot of the people who are on the site. But if you have been lucky enough to have no idea what people with depression go through, then this is an excellent way to gain understanding.

The big black dog. Is on a web site called upworth.com.

It may also be on you tube.

(I can make my computer work but I am not savvy enough to post links and the like so forgive me.)

In light of the tragic news of Robin Williams I am very glad that things like this are finally being posted so everyone can see.

I also just found out that with all of the things in the past news about Robin Williams they never dwelled on the fact that he was Bi-polar. So things suddenly make since. I have been there three times in my life and thank god I had the foresight to get help. But let me tell you there is that point where you will do anything to make the physical pain of depression stop. It will consume you if you do not get help and Alcohol and or street drugs are no help when mixed with denial.

Thank you.
    Last edited by egor; 17-Aug-2014 at 02:54.

Anyone who has never gone through depression or has never seen what depression does to people, should be given a visualization to understand just exactly how badly the illness destroys the host.

Thanks for sharing. I hope people will pay attention to it to better spread information on what depression actually is.

Thanks egor. I have my group at church who are my friends and we talk about our world. I too was saying that depression is an anomaly of the brain, like any other sort of disease. If you're diabetic, you have to fight that medically and professionally. You can't help being diabetic. You didn't choose it. It's simply a very real part of you. The same is true with depression. It's a struggle.

My wife is going through some severe health problems at the moment. I kid with her when it's time to eat, because I'm on the depression diet. Her health makes me worry, and then the depression sets in. I can't control it any more than I can prevent another toe being amputated on her foot. And so the depression sets in and I become nauseated.

This depression is different from Robin Williams. It's caused by a single event, my wife's health. I also have some of the other. I cope by keeping busy and finding things to do, and that seems to work for me. I will stay busy tomorrow as we wait for the surgeon's phone call. Things will be finalized and we will both move on.

Mental depression is different. It lurks in the shadows of the mind, and somewhere, it's always there. When that happens, we need to be there for each other.

As someone suffering from severe depression (diagnosed at age 13) I was actually inspired by the Rob Williams death news. Not because he died, but because he lived so long! I have already exceeded my own life expectancy so I feel kinda weird and lost. Like.. what do I do with this life? I've just tried to survive this long and not much else. Makes me feel like I could take on some sort of life-long quest and just go for it.

Here is a link to the video 'I had a black dog' 'whic I think is the video you are referring to - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiCrniLQGYc

I found this as I was starting to recover the first time and have shown it to colleagues and Line Managers to explain how I feel.

I am a relatively successful professional and have had my black dog for some time now. Fortunately, she is walking to heel at the moment but you never know what tomorrow brings...

DLE

Quote Originally Posted by TyphaHare View Post
    As someone suffering from severe depression (diagnosed at age 13) I was actually inspired by the Rob Williams death news. Not because he died, but because he lived so long! I have already exceeded my own life expectancy so I feel kinda weird and lost. Like.. what do I do with this life? I've just tried to survive this long and not much else. Makes me feel like I could take on some sort of life-long quest and just go for it.
    Ha! I know what you mean about Robin Williams living to a good age! Although it was sad news, I also thought the same -- given what (little) I know about his struggles, he did well to keep going for as long as he did. He was about the same age as my mum when she died, and nearly 10 years older than my dad when he went (both through "natural" causes).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SissyDLE View Post
    Here is a link to the video 'I had a black dog' 'whic I think is the video you are referring to - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiCrniLQGYc
    That's a great video.

I recently posted an interview with Stephen Fry that you can watch here:
    https://www.adisc.org/forum/group.ph...293&do=discuss

From ~6m58s in he talks about the insecurities that people share, and how that relates to comedy. And from ~10m20s he talks about his own experiences with depression and bipolar disorder. I found it really interesting. A quick quotation if anyone's interested:

I don't know many people, actually, worth knowing who don't have a mind that sometimes leads them astray. I don't know that sanity -- real sober, sensible sanity -- is such a glorious thing. I think most of the world's advances in creativity and invention an in almost anything have been done in little spurts of madness.

I was absolutely gutted when i heard Robin Williams took his own life.
    He was the guy people looked to when they needed their spirits lifted.
    This amazing guy made me laugh and was a big part of my life as a lover of movies.
    He was hiding so much pain even though he was suffering from depression, i would imagine it must have been hard for him to talk to people about his problems because he was always expecting to make people laugh and lift them up instead.

I feel as if he lost his battle with depression, however as others have echoed he lived a relatively long life.
    R.I.P Robin Williams

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    I recently posted an interview with Stephen Fry that you can watch here:
    https://www.adisc.org/forum/group.ph...293&do=discuss

From ~6m58s in he talks about the insecurities that people share, and how that relates to comedy. And from ~10m20s he talks about his own experiences with depression and bipolar disorder. I found it really interesting. A quick quotation if anyone's interested:
    Stephen fry did an amazing tv documentary about bipolar. If you can get your hands on it its quite fascinating. He interviews robbie williams and carrie fisher amongst others.