Page 1 of 23 123451121 ... LastLast

Thread: The police

Default The police

Does anyone think police is getting a little out of control with all this power. I realize cops have rights from time to time but other times they overreact to little things. Especially where I asked a question to a target salesman and one of them downtown police thought I was arguing so he confronted me and almost said something *right* after I got the manager. He told me where I was going but if the salesman didn't say "He was asking me a question" I bet I was going to be yelled at.

Also the fact last saturday this happens

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-co...yelled-n178486

He was unarmed and on the sidewalk. My observation while watching,the officer could have been racist; But I haven't jumped to conclusions due to the fact it's still under investigation. He was grabbed by the neck and he pulled away but was shot. Crawled and raised his hands and was shot a few more times. WTF???

Another incident I can't remember a date but some dude was arguing with a cop can't remember the incident but the man was in a chokelock by another officer. Demanded for air as he couldn't breath but the officer didn't comply and eventually the man died.

Anyone else think police are getting a little out of hand or have way too much power?
    Last edited by Snivy; 12-Aug-2014 at 19:04. Reason: Changed a word.

This kind of thing has been going on for decades, if not longer.....

Unfortunately, I don't expect anything to change.

I'm pretty much against a police-powered state.
    actually I believe the governments have FAR TOO MUCH power over people.

And when a state starts to make serious money from petty fines - it is plain wrong in my book.

I'm not a big fan of big-brother / the authority.

But unfortunately people have problems showing enough mutual respect and common decency, that we unfortunately "need" laws to govern / regulate every crap.

Default The police

Quote Originally Posted by Snivy View Post
    Does anyone think police is getting a little out of control with all this power. I realize cops have rights from time to time but other times they overreact to little things. Especially where I asked a question to a target salesman and one of them downtown police thought I was arguing so he confronted me and almost said something *right* after I got the manager. He told me where I was going but if the salesman didn't say "He was asking me a question" I bet I was going to be yelled at.

He was unarmed and on the sidewalk. My observation the officer was racist but I haven't jumped to conclusions due to the fact it's still under investigation. He was grabbed by the neck and he pulled away but was shot. Crawled and raised his hands and was shot a few more times. WTF???

Another incident I can't remember a date but some dude was arguing with a cop can't remember the incident but the man was in a chokelock by another officer. Demanded for air as he couldn't breath but the officer didn't comply and eventually the man died.

Anyone else think police are getting a little out of hand or have way too much power?
    Tragic police events have been happening since as long as police forces have existed. We just hear about it more often these days because stories like this garner higher ratings than other news events that are (arguably) much more important.

http://www.academia.edu/942151/Focus...Agenda-Setting

As for myself, I don't know the particulars of the situation that occurred in St. Louis, so I'll withhold judgement until it the facts emerge. I do know, however--that police are specifically trained to 'empty the clip' so to speak in the event that they feel the need to fire their weapon. If the situation is so dire that they feel that their lives are endangered, as this cop obviously did..training says to aim for the center of mass, and shoot until the threat is neutralized. It's difficult to be a marksman in a heated situation, hence the tendency to shoot multiple times.

He was unarmed and on the sidewalk. My observation the officer was racist but I haven't jumped to conclusions due to the fact it's still under investigation. He was grabbed by the neck and he pulled away but was shot. Crawled and raised his hands and was shot a few more times. WTF???

Who says the cop was out of control? You don't know the situation or what went down.

Quote Originally Posted by FauxPas View Post
    Who says the cop was out of control? You don't know the situation or what went down.

but I haven't jumped to conclusions due to the fact it's still under investigation.
    I guess you didn't read that :/

Quote Originally Posted by Dan09 View Post
    As for myself, I don't know the particulars of the situation that occurred in St. Louis, so I'll withhold judgement until it the facts emerge. I do know, however--that police are specifically trained to 'empty the clip' so to speak in the event that they feel the need to fire their weapon. If the situation is so dire that they feel that their lives are endangered, as this cop obviously did..training says to aim for the center of mass, and shoot until the threat is neutralized. It's difficult to be a marksman in a heated situation, hence the tendency to shoot multiple times.
    This. So far, we've got very few verified facts and a lot of speculation being thrown about. It will be investigated. In the meantime, innocent people are having their property looted and destroyed by nimrods who think that's a legitimate response to a tragic incident. As if some shopowner had any say in how the police responded to that incident.

As Dan09 noted, a handgun isn't exactly a precision instrument. Multiple shots fired doesn't tell me anything except that the officer felt he was in a dire situation. It has no bearing on the question of justification. It's not like theres some kind of race-o-meter that says one shot for whites, 3 for latinos, 7 for blacks.

I guess you didn't read that :/
    I generally skim walls of text on my phone. The majority of your post says blah blah police are bad and crazy blah. Sorry I missed the one sentence in the middle of a wall of text. Stopped reading said wall after I read "he was probably racist"

In fact you did jump to conclusions.....

I have interactions with "both" kinds of cops. I have been pulled over for various reasons and the cops have started off on edge, but by the end of the stop all was cool.

First off do you have a job that you have to think every second that no one is your friend?

Second when you do have an encounter with a cop what do you do to put them at ease?

My nephews are cops and I have everyone in the car put their hands on the door jam, or ceiling and keep them in plain sight until the officer asks us to put them down.

I did the same thing when I was arrested and it was after we left the scene that this Individual became judge, jury and executioner. I filed a report when all was said and done. I was told by my nephews that I will never see anything out of it but "trust him" with that in their jacket they will be scrutinized all of the time.

We hear about the shootings and the misconduct on the news once in a while, and occasionally about a kitten saved from a tree, but I know through my nephews that there is a lot of rewards though out there day that makes it worth coming back to work.

I will vouch for one officer of the Portland police department that was with me for quite awhile when I was hit by a car and I called his boss as soon as I could and sang his praise.

I had a good talk a while back with my one nephew and he is getting sent on more and more suicide calls because he is very good at talking people down.

So I guess my point is that if these people do not want to get stereotyped and accidently shot then quite acting like a "puck" and you will not get treated like one.
    Also If there is a police office that is not being respectful and you are doing everything to cooperate then get on the phone and write a letter to the local police chef.

Be a part of the solution not a part of the problem!

I love most cops - The ones who sign up to help their community, anyways. My grandfather was the sheriff of my town. He's done so many things for the community. You have to realize what some cops do for us.
    My grandfather responded to a call where there was a suicidal person. When he arrived, the man had shot himself in the head with a shotgun. His brain matter landed in a bowl across the room. Nobody should have to see such a horrific scene, but cops respond to these things so we don't have to.
    And then you have fucking pigs - Corrupt fuckheads who'll do anything because they think they're invincible. The cunts who bring shame to the whole police force of America.
    "I am the law, therefore I am above the law"