Thread: Diaper SAP and drains

Default Diaper SAP and drains

hi all,
    Because of the situation I must sneak diapers in and out of the bathroom and house. Obviously this is harder when they are messy. So I've got dismantling them and letting the SAP go down the drain and cutting up the diaper into strips I can fold into a small Ziploc and leave with, down to a science. I've only done this with pampers underjams and huggies goodnights and have had no plumbing problems. I was wondering if anyone has tried disposing diaper sap down shower drains from a pampers baby dry. If so did it stop up the drain or go down decently?

If I were you I probably would avoid doing this as much as possible. Although the sap is typically contained in small beads, it can get caught on hair or w.e. else is already coating the side of the drain, making an eventual clog more likely. I'd imagine it as kinda like how cholesterol slowly builds up in the arteries. Understand that this clog doesn't have to be the shower drain, it can happen anywhere downstream, even all the way to the main pipe that leads to the septic system.

And in any case, it's always bad to send stuff that doesn't degrade into the pipes and septic system. It will shorten their lifetimes. SAP I believe is mostly crosslinked acrylic acid and that can't be broken down under normal circumstances. Also, if it does clog up the drain, there's always the possibility that when the plumber comes, he'll find SAP in the pipes and your parents might ask questions...

I would not recommend doing this, it could cause severe plumbing issues in the future! And I'm pretty sure you don't want to explain to a plumber why you're shower drains are clogged up with Super Absorbent Polymer!

Welcome to the site as well, Gotnoshoes, maybe post an introduction so we can get to know you a little better?

I've been doing this for over 2 years now with no problems. My shower has one of those drains that you can pull the top off to clean which makes it easier - I simply wear into the shower, enjoy the swelling up feeling, then remove the drain, empty the SAP onto the floor, completely saturate it and then slowly wash it down the drain.

I did once try and pour an entire Drynite's worth of SAP down the drain directly without saturating it first - bad idea. When I turned on the shower it just blocked up the drain - I had to get some flexy hose and mush the SAP down the drain, and scoop some up with my hand, until I could get some water to flow past at which point it just joomed down the drain.

I very much doubt that SAP could build up on the side of the drain. At best, this would occur due to mineralisation from the sodium portion such as with stalactites/mites - but this won't happen if you clean your shower regularly with cleaning products, not to mention it takes hundreds of years for this process to occur. The main problem is being overenthusiastic and not soaking the SAP before washing it down.

I'd have to say go ahead and try it. If anything, the feeling of wearing in the shower is awesome.

To dispose of the shells, I simply wrap them up tightly and keep them in an A4 plastic ziplock bag inside a 2L icecream container which I then throw out when it's full, easy as and no smell. I can usually fit around 15 Drynites outers in one ice-cream container - I re-use the containers and just throw out the ziplocks (inside another bag for more subtlety)...

And the SAP will become part of the solid waste portion of the sewage, which is then sent to landfill so there's no more harm done to the environment than if I just threw the whole thing in the rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by gotnoshoes View Post
    hi all,
    Because of the situation I must sneak diapers in and out of the bathroom and house. Obviously this is harder when they are messy. So I've got dismantling them and letting the SAP go down the drain and cutting up the diaper into strips I can fold into a small Ziploc and leave with, down to a science. I've only done this with pampers underjams and huggies goodnights and have had no plumbing problems. I was wondering if anyone has tried disposing diaper sap down shower drains from a pampers baby dry. If so did it stop up the drain or go down decently?
    Hi gotnoshoes! I have no comment on your "SAP App" but it looks like this is your first post with us. Can you please tell us more about your non-AB/DL interests such as your hobbies and interests?