Thread: Apple lisa replica

Default Apple lisa replica

I need help, I want an apple lisa but don't have the money, so I've decided to build a life sized replica. How would I do this, I am desperate for a lisa and just want a lisa, but a replica should do .

I know they are sometimes sold on ebay - for quite high prices... (often getting 1000-5000$ if they're still working).

Getting a working one (even replica wise) will not be easy...
    getting something that does LOOK like one but doesn't function?

Well if you're a bit crafty you can start shaping the case from either Machinable Plastics (this is what I'd do - using my CNC Mill ) or wood or whatever... the shape isn't overly complex and you should be able to do the front and the rest of the case with simple hand tools, time give.
    The paint-job will be a tad more tricky.... (you'd need some spray painting equipment, and quality paint).

Now for the screen - what I'd do is to either find an old broken small TV that has the same size... or if you want something "working"... get an android tablet - get a few old screenshots of an apple lisa system and have it show up as a slideshow
    mount the tablet behind some curved glass screen from back then (CRT Front part) the approx. size of a LISA (Old CCTV Television, or small camping tv).
    you'd basically have to disassemble the CRT - and carefully crack the vacuum chamber, trying not to break the front to... wear safety equipment ( here's a guy who's built a FISH TANK from a CRT: http://www.instructables.com/id/Turn...ing-the-curve/)...

You should be able to source an original apple keyboard and mouse over ebay or so from the era of the LISA (may a generation newer)... that should not cost you as much...

And after a few days of work - if you're careful, you have a close enough LISA Look-A-Like at home.

EDITED:

Here's a thing google spit out on the subject of replica lisa:

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcfo...Lisa-1-Replica
    (first page has a link to a PDF containing the drawings for the case!!)

Quote Originally Posted by EPO1 View Post
    I know they are sometimes sold on ebay - for quite high prices... (often getting 1000-5000$ if they're still working).

Getting a working one (even replica wise) will not be easy...
    getting something that does LOOK like one but doesn't function?

Well if you're a bit crafty you can start shaping the case from either Machinable Plastics (this is what I'd do - using my CNC Mill ) or wood or whatever... the shape isn't overly complex and you should be able to do the front and the rest of the case with simple hand tools, time give.
    The paint-job will be a tad more tricky.... (you'd need some spray painting equipment, and quality paint).

Now for the screen - what I'd do is to either find an old broken small TV that has the same size... or if you want something "working"... get an android tablet - get a few old screenshots of an apple lisa system and have it show up as a slideshow
    mount the tablet behind some curved glass screen from back then (CRT Front part) the approx. size of a LISA (Old CCTV Television, or small camping tv).
    you'd basically have to disassemble the CRT - and carefully crack the vacuum chamber, trying not to break the front to... wear safety equipment ( here's a guy who's built a FISH TANK from a CRT: http://www.instructables.com/id/Turn...ing-the-curve/)...

You should be able to source an original apple keyboard and mouse over ebay or so from the era of the LISA (may a generation newer)... that should not cost you as much...

And after a few days of work - if you're careful, you have a close enough LISA Look-A-Like at home.

EDITED:

Here's a thing google spit out on the subject of replica lisa:

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcfo...Lisa-1-Replica
    (first page has a link to a PDF containing the drawings for the case!!)
    Awsome,I have several old TV sets that function, is there a vga to tv cable, because I have an old computer that I could load with an emulator and hook up to the tv! I am very greatful for those case drawings, that is a huge help.

VGA to TV - that does depend on the interfaces your TV offers...
    Keep in mind that many very old TV sets had only an input for a Antenna Cable / TV-Tune...
    later came S-Video and SCART cables...
    With the first one (antenna input only) you're most likely SOL.
    With S-Video / SCART there are several solutions (http://www.amazon.com/S-video-Conver.../dp/B000P3UB24, http://www.amazon.com/EnjoyGadgets-E...E4SMEKAETG3W3X, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-SCART-T.../dp/B0002W69MY)

acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Kittermunk View Post
    Awsome,I have several old TV sets that function, is there a vga to tv cable, because I have an old computer that I could load with an emulator and hook up to the tv! I am very greatful for those case drawings, that is a huge help.
    Not because you you said you would, but since mentioned - it should be noted anyway. How dangerous is working on a CRT display? Suffice to say, anybody choosing to go there is on their own.

Btw, it is true that some old sets can hold a charge for years. There has to be a better way to wake up in the morning than to a flash of light and the smell of burnt flesh. Ya has bin warned boyo.

Can you find a cheap early Macintosh? That seems like it would be good donor since you can use the monitor and system board and just fabricate a case. I'm not sure about the Lisa OS, I guess you could run a very early Mac OS and claim it's a Hackintosh replica, (Lisa hacked to run Mac OS, fairly common back in the day since it made the hardware more useful).

Quote Originally Posted by nray999 View Post
    Can you find a cheap early Macintosh? That seems like it would be good donor since you can use the monitor and system board and just fabricate a case. I'm not sure about the Lisa OS, I guess you could run a very early Mac OS and claim it's a Hackintosh replica, (Lisa hacked to run Mac OS, fairly common back in the day since it made the hardware more useful).
    If I had an early mac, I would just use it as a mac, I just need a mac or lisa, I believe that mac can run lisa.

My understanding is that Lisa to Mac is a one way street. That is, Lisa hardware can be made to run Mac OS (the original Hackintosh), but Mac hardware cannot run Lisa OS. That's why I suggested making a Lisa replica by case modding a Mac and calling it a hackintosh replica

Quote Originally Posted by nray999 View Post
    My understanding is that Lisa to Mac is a one way street. That is, Lisa hardware can be made to run Mac OS (the original Hackintosh), but Mac hardware cannot run Lisa OS. That's why I suggested making a Lisa replica by case modding a Mac and calling it a hackintosh replica
    I can't even find an old mac