Thread: Pelvic floor dysfunction + incon. - looking for advice

Default Pelvic floor dysfunction + incon. - looking for advice

(Apologies in advance if this thread isn't the right place, and also if this - or something similar to this - has been posted before)

I've been seeing a physician (as well as a physical therapist) due to a Pelvic Floor Dysfunction diagnosis, and accompanying urinary incontinence (bouncing between stress and urge) with possible nerve damage/tightness, cause yet to be determined, but not attributed to PFD. I also have an appointment with a urologist later this month to get a more accurate picture of what's going on. That being said, I've been poked, prodded, and have had so many pointless tests and examinations in the past year, I'm not exactly hopeful for an accurate diagnosis or, for that matter, a positive prognosis.

In the meantime, it was suggested that I consider wearing some form of mild to moderate protection. Being that I've only ever been a DL - and rarely worn more than once a week, at best - I don't have a clue as to what products would be reliable (or affordable), and would definitely appreciate any suggestions in that area.

Beyond that, this whole situation has me a little freaked out. Even if it's only a temporary thing (which I'm really, really hoping is the case, but am preparing myself for the worst), I know from experience that wearing in public tends to make me extremely neurotic. For anyone who is IC or has had to deal with this disability, how do you cope?

- Rather than risk the embarrassment that would come with potential discovery, do you just "come out", as it were, to room mates, friends, family, etc?
    - When wearing in public, what measures do you take to prevent the sound, smell, bulge? And, for that matters, how do you keep the temperature "down there" from becoming overheated?
    - As far as physical activity goes, what adaptations are necessary. Before all of this reached that point that it's at, I used to enjoy running, hiking and swimming, and I'm not sure if I'll still be able to enjoy said activities.

I've found hiking to be very comfy in diapers, actually :O I often wear when I go for a walk! And there are special diapers made for swimming, actually! So you can enjoy those for sure! I'm sure running will go fine, too.

I'd suggest Tena nappies for discreet daytime use. Tena Slip Maxi is the one with the best absobency, but even that one is not very thick at all! If you wear underwear over the nappy, the crinkle will be reduced a lot, too. I've heard people using jeans to obscure the shape of the nappy on them, so that's an option also. I've wore super thick nappies with extra padding in them with boxers and shorts over them and found no problems.

I'm just a DL, tho so I cannot give specific IC info for you.. but I hope this puts your mind at ease a bit! I'm sure you can enjoy your hobbies with diapers, too.

Thanks for the tip, TyphaHare!

I know you're a DL and not IC, but as far as hiking when wearing (or doing any physical activity while wearing), don't you get extremely hot "down there"?

W3,

Yes, it will be a little warmer when wearing a diaper, but not so warm as to cause a problem. Also, you become accustomed to it. Depending on your preference, you will need to use either generous amounts of powder or a barrier cream such as Vaseline, Destine, Balmex, etc. Desitin and Balmex use zinc oxide plus additives to provide a barrier between your skin and urine or stool.

First off, your choice between a pull-up and a taped diaper is influenced by the extent of your incontinence. A few pull-ups are satisfactory for light incontinence. However, for most moderate to heavy bladder incontinence a taped diaper works much better. For bowel incontinence, pull-ups just do not perform adequately and you will need to use a taped diaper.

You also will need to decide between a plastic-backed diaper vice a breathable diaper. Plastic-backed diapers provide better odor control, do not wick, and do not stretch much after being taped on. This also means that they will sag less after nearing their absorbent capacity than most breathable diapers. The tapes adhere to the shells of plastic diapers better than to the cloth-like shells of breathable diapers.

If you are prone to rashes, breathable diapers may be better for you. However, because they are breathable they also transmit more odor. Bowel odor is transmitted quickly. The cloth-like shell material stretches more than plastic, often resulting is a loose diaper half an hour after being taped on. Accordingly, diaper sag from a heavy diaper is much more pronounced than with plastic.

Another consideration is how the diaper absorbs and holds the liquid. This is a trade-off between pulp fluff and SAP super-activated polymer crystals. The pulp fluff usually absorbs quickly and will increase in thickness markedly. Small amounts of liquid can be pressed out of pulp fluff when you sit down. The SAP crystals absorb the liquid and hold it in a gel from which the liquid cannot be pressed out. Diapers primarily using pulp fluff usually are more bulky and diapers primarily using SAP usually are thinner.

Most of us who are incontinent always use plastic pants over the diaper when we are away from the home. The plastic pants may actually be made of vinyl or may be made of PUL breathable material, which will be cooler.

Wear a pair of spandex pants or compression pants as the outer layer. These will help hold the diaper up and prevent diaper sag and will reduce the sound from any rustling of the diaper or the plastic pants. Additionally, for strenuous athletic activity or hiking, this outer layer will reduce any friction with the inner thighs and will reduce chaffing.

Re discreet wear, the measures I have mentioned not only will reduce sound but also will smooth out the outlines of the diaper. Unless you are wearing tight clothing no one will be able to tell that you are wearing a diaper. I wear 24/7 and none of my friends even suspect that I am wearing a diaper. Understandably, you will be anxious about being detected, but I guarantee that no one can tell.

Most quality diapers probably will be satisfactory. It becomes a matter of personal preference. A supplier favored by many of the incontinent community is XP Medical or XP Med. The proprietor, Gary, is himself incontinent and is very helpful. Do not hesitate to call with a question. XP Med offers many quality diapers. Look at their diaper tests and reviews to help you decide which diaper is best for your needs. For someone who is active, I recommend the Tena Slip Maxi. Use that diaper to compare others.

You will need to have a small kit nearby when you are out and about with the necessities to handle an accident. This includes a clean diaper, adult-size wipes, trial-size vaseline, lotion, or powder, disposal bags for the used diaper. For bowel incontinence latex gloves are recommended. A few inches of extra tape is handily to repair a leak or replace a broken tape. If you have a car, a "disaster kit" in the trunk should contain not only an extra diaper, but a basic change of clothing, bags for soiled clothing, and towels or absorbent pads to protect the car seat.

Re "coming out," there is no one correct answer to this. However, the situation should be a little less stressful and less prone for embarrassment for someone who actually is IC as you have a medical reason for wearing diapers. If you choose to "come out," explain it as a medical need. Most people are understanding.

Good luck,
    --John

Quote Originally Posted by w3061468 View Post
    (Apologies in advance if this thread isn't the right place, and also if this - or something similar to this - has been posted before)

I've been seeing a physician (as well as a physical therapist) due to a Pelvic Floor Dysfunction diagnosis, and accompanying urinary incontinence (bouncing between stress and urge) with possible nerve damage/tightness, cause yet to be determined, but not attributed to PFD. I also have an appointment with a urologist later this month to get a more accurate picture of what's going on. That being said, I've been poked, prodded, and have had so many pointless tests and examinations in the past year, I'm not exactly hopeful for an accurate diagnosis or, for that matter, a positive prognosis.

In the meantime, it was suggested that I consider wearing some form of mild to moderate protection. Being that I've only ever been a DL - and rarely worn more than once a week, at best - I don't have a clue as to what products would be reliable (or affordable), and would definitely appreciate any suggestions in that area.

Beyond that, this whole situation has me a little freaked out. Even if it's only a temporary thing (which I'm really, really hoping is the case, but am preparing myself for the worst), I know from experience that wearing in public tends to make me extremely neurotic. For anyone who is IC or has had to deal with this disability, how do you cope?

- Rather than risk the embarrassment that would come with potential discovery, do you just "come out", as it were, to room mates, friends, family, etc?
    - When wearing in public, what measures do you take to prevent the sound, smell, bulge? And, for that matters, how do you keep the temperature "down there" from becoming overheated?
    - As far as physical activity goes, what adaptations are necessary. Before all of this reached that point that it's at, I used to enjoy running, hiking and swimming, and I'm not sure if I'll still be able to enjoy said activities.
    Also request to see an orthopedist, have similar issue turned out I developed a hernia