Thread: above the influence commercial

Default above the influence commercial

I thought it was kind of funny. what is your thoughts about this?

YouTube - Above the Influence-Achievement (Real)

"I stole from my little sister...I got straight D's........I left my Ex Girlfriend 27 messages last night....I made my mother cry.....I let People Draw on me.. I ditch my friends and let them find there own way home..."

The most recent comment is what I think about all these commercials. Good intent but they're certainly not effective for those towards whom the message is aimed.

I think they're more about prevention, not stopping those who already smoke weed. Of course a lot of people who already smoke pot aren't like the people in the commercial, but I can see it being effective on those who have never done it, but may have thought about it.

As if people don't know the effects of weed! Ask any kid nowadays and they'll probably have a good sense of what weed does. Overgeneralization, I know, but if you need a commercial to tell you what's right and wrong your parents didn't do a good job I think.

I think these commercial are too stupid to take serious with the "happy" music and "stereotypical" results from smoking pot. All and all I think whoever made these commercial don't have an idea about drugs and the effect of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    I think these commercial are too stupid to take serious with the "happy" music and "stereotypical" results from smoking pot. All and all I think whoever made these commercial don't have an idea about drugs and the effect of them.
    How are they "stereotypical" if they aren't true? As far as the commercials go, they're pretty much bullshit, and on top of that, ineffective. As if smoking pot ruins your life. I'm sick of hearing propaganda like those commercials present.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    How are they "stereotypical" if they aren't true? As far as the commercials go, they're pretty much bullshit, and on top of that, ineffective. As if smoking pot ruins your life. I'm sick of hearing propaganda like those commercials present.
    It stereotypical because they make it sound like it going to happen if you smoke a joint. I been smoking weed, off and on, for the last five years and I never got D in school, ditch my friend, stolen from family, etc. The sad part is only the "getting draw on" is true for me and that wasn't even because of weed, that was from me passing out from drinking and waking up with marker on my face.

I'm always against propaganda.

I have good grades and have never stole, so i don't care all that much.

On a semi related not did anyone see the commercial were the little brother sees his sister smoking weed and gets a burn mark on his forehead?

I told my sister if that really happened she would have burst in to flames ALONG time ago.

I don't smoke weed. I doubt I ever will. But that advert would never put me off. I found it patronising and would have expected something like it as a joke, not a real campaign. I think it really misses its purpose, and think that there are probably a large number of people on this site who could do better with their eyes gauged out, their arms cut off, and a slightly sprained lip.

Seems pretty silly to me...

Although, the question at the end I think justifies it:
    "What has weed done for you?"

Fair enough the people in the advert are meant to be people who've been negatively affected by weed, but I actually think the question is a good one.
    If your answer to it is "Nothing particularly bad" (or even reporting a positive experience) then I don't think this advert is necessarily for you.
    It's aimed at people who are smoking weed and have been affected by it negatively, prompting them to question whether continuing to use weed is worth it for them.

That's the generous interpretation though.

I was going to post saying that I've never seen an anti-weed commercial before, but then I realised that there is one: YouTube - Talk to Frank (brain warehouse) Ad

That's more a scare approach, but at least it's for an information line to find out more. I don't find it a good advert though, since "messes with your mind" is quite vague.