Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good classic radio shows.

Default Good classic radio shows.

I just got the mail and my new set of X-1 show and Frontier Gentlemen finally arrived.

So lets see who remembers any of these and what was your favorite shows back when?

I vaguely remember Dragnet on the radio at bedtime when I was real little in LA. But I fell in love with "old time radio" in the 70's.

I have quite a collection of cassette tapes of the shows but unfortunately the tapes are degrading and it is hard to find a cassette recorder anymore.
    So I am slowly replacing the tapes with CD.

I have a hard time picking a favorite, but I will say for sure if you want strange dreams fall asleep listening to "The halls of Fantasy".

I do listen to "Theater of the Minds" out of Seattle when I can find it. So there is still show like that on.

I really love the old pommy series "the goon show".
    I remember looking forward to replays of it on the radio when I was young.
    Now thanks to internet radio I get to listen to it whenever I like

Most of mine were back in the 40's. George Burns and Gracie Allen, Jack Benny. Then there was all of the cowboys and indian programs.
    Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, Gene Autry, Hopalong Cassidy, The Lone Ranger. Most all of these then went to TV in the 50's.
    Also liked listening to some of the clear channel stations late at night when they were operating 100,000 watts of power.

As a kid, I used to listen to The Lone Ranger on radio. They had a lot of them like Terry and the Pirates. It was neat because I didn't have a TV in my bedroom when I was a little kid, but I had a radio. It opened up the world. On Sunday mornings I'd listen to Mayor La Guardia, the mayor of N. Y. C., read the funnies from the Sunday newspaper.

I started this thread with you in mind Dogboy.

I have asked my mother -in-law and she did everything she could to stay away from her parents so she never listened to the radio shows.

My mom and dad talked about a few shows, but it was some of my "older" friends that call me a "Johnny come lately" and they had there mystery shows they had to get there homework done to listen to, or "Yours truly Johnny Dollar".

There are some that are good stories, then there others that it is fun to listen to the "sound effects" like Yukon King.

I am into X-1 and my favorite is "How do you tame the wild west? With the steel of a badge and the smell of "Gun Smoke"".

I do not care what any one says, William Conrad is Marshall Dillon, and Adam West is the one and only "Batman"!

Did you listen to the shows that Bing Crosby did?

Egor.

The only radio show I drama I remember is the CBS Radio Mystery Theater (a more modern rendition of Hyman Brown's previous Inner Sanctum) and of course A Prairie Home Companion.

Let's see how many of these lines you can match to their shows:

"The man with the action packed expense account."
    "The first man they look for and the last they want to meet."
    "The man in the saddle is angular and long legged."
    "...reminding you to write if you get work."
    "Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?"
    "Another authentic reenactment of a case transcribed from the files of the ..."
    "The Johnson Wax Program with ...."
    "The Lucky Strike Program featuring..."
    "The story you are about to hear is true. The names have been changed to protect the innocent"
    "With action and suspense out of the old west comes the most famous hero of them all...."

Quote Originally Posted by willnotwill View Post
    The only radio show I drama I remember is the CBS Radio Mystery Theater (a more modern rendition of Hyman Brown's previous Inner Sanctum) and of course A Prairie Home Companion.

Let's see how many of these lines you can match to their shows:

"The man with the action packed expense account."
    Johnny Dollar

"The first man they look for and the last they want to meet."
    Gun smoke

"The man in the saddle is angular and long legged."
    The six shooter

"...reminding you to write if you get work."
    ?

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?"
    The Shadow

"Another authentic reenactment of a case transcribed from the files of the ..."
    I was a communist for the FBI

"The Johnson Wax Program with ...."
    Fibber McGee and Molly

"The Lucky Strike Program featuring..."
    Jack Benny

"The story you are about to hear is true. The names have been changed to protect the innocent"
    Dragnet

"With action and suspense out of the old west comes the most famous hero of them all...."
    Hop along Cassidy

There was a couple I had to think about, and only one I do not know. There is a couple that it hard like the lucky strikes because they sponsored so many shows

Quote Originally Posted by egor View Post
    I started this thread with you in mind Dogboy.

I have asked my mother -in-law and she did everything she could to stay away from her parents so she never listened to the radio shows.

My mom and dad talked about a few shows, but it was some of my "older" friends that call me a "Johnny come lately" and they had there mystery shows they had to get there homework done to listen to, or "Yours truly Johnny Dollar".

There are some that are good stories, then there others that it is fun to listen to the "sound effects" like Yukon King.

I am into X-1 and my favorite is "How do you tame the wild west? With the steel of a badge and the smell of "Gun Smoke"".

I do not care what any one says, William Conrad is Marshall Dillon, and Adam West is the one and only "Batman"!

Did you listen to the shows that Bing Crosby did?

Egor.
    I certainly remember the Bing Crosby specials on television. My parents were one of the first people to get a TV. Living on the Jersey Shore, we pulled TV stations from both N. Y. C. and Philadelphia. That gave us a whopping five or six stations. But yes, Bing was on the radio and I heard him often. I still play his classic Christmas album at Christmas time. Even now, I enjoy listening to NPR on Sunday nights because they play the old Big Band music. I also have some of the same on CDs.

As you probably know, some of the big city hotels would air their big bands and people would tune in on their radios. Some of those radios were large monsters, as big as the early TV consoles. Our first TV was in a cabinet that had doors which your would open, exposing the screen. Many radios were like the ones seen in the classic movie, "Christmas Story", the one about the Red Rider bee-bee gun. It was a different day and age, but wonderful in its own way. It brought so much entertainment into homes, both music and the radio plays.

Back in the late 40's on Saturday nights we listened to Your Hit Parade. It featured the top ten popular songs for the past week.
    It was sponsored by Lucky Strikes. Also liked the WLS and WLW barn dances. WLS was out of Chicago and I believe WLW was
    out of Cinncinatta. A lot of people g bands back in those days put up external antennas to pull in better AM signals.

I also liked to listen to Bing Crosby and Bob Hope along with any of the bands of the time.

Very good. The "write if you get work" was from the usual ending sequence of the Bob and Ray show.
    The "another authentic reenactment" is from Tales of the Texas Rangers.