Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Palm 3 accessories

Default Palm 3 accessories

What are some of the "must have" accessories for a 1998 palm 3 personal digital assistant. This is my day-to-day PDA that I use for notes,dates,addresses,etc and I carry it with me everywhere incase I must write a note. I need to know some good software (drawing,CAD,Tetris,etc) that I might need to use for day to day use. Where can I get a case that will protect my palm and also show it off.

??!

Hmm... well, uhm,... I guess it's called a smart-phone? Or the WiFi enabled iPad?

You will be hard pressed to find ANYTHING remotely usable by even yesteryears standard on a 98' Palm3.

The product & Platform have long since been abandoned - the manufacturer is out of business (ok the remainder was bought off... but still).
    This stuff is technically as dead as dead can be.

The company has been out of business since 2004 (that's ten long long years - or half an eternity in the digital product age).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	palmiii.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	21583

And how you think you'll do CAD on a monochrom low res display is VERY MUCH beyond me.
    CAD (and CAM) belongs to my daily business... and there's nothing CAD-like to be run on a Palm 3...
    Even modern smartphones and tablets struggle with CAD stuff (ok, there's at least some apps to DISPLAY CAD files - but all editing so far is VERY basic still).
    Same goes for drawing on a Palm 3... unless you are into minimalist monochromatic art limited to low res displays..

Don't get me wrong - back in the day, those things were quite the thing - but they didn't keep up with time or customer request and lost the game to the quickly evolving smartphone market.

If you need no smart phone but want a good replacement that doesn't cost a fortune - check out the latest iPod touch models...
    Or some older android phones for really cheap options.
    The iPod Touch is a great PDA for a really neat price.
    At close to 200$ you get everything you could wish for in a PDA Style device.
    great screen, fast wifi, storage, music player, a large APP Eco-System & Accessory stuff (including waterproof / shock proof stuff), good browser, syncing with basically all calendaring / Email / groupware systems (or stand alone if you want to). Nice size too.
    And if you don't need wifi much and switch it off as well as bluetooth the battery is quite amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by EPO1 View Post
    ??!

Hmm... well, uhm,... I guess it's called a smart-phone? Or the WiFi enabled iPad?

You will be hard pressed to find ANYTHING remotely usable by even yesteryears standard on a 98' Palm3.

The product & Platform have long since been abandoned - the manufacturer is out of business (ok the remainder was bought off... but still).
    This stuff is technically as dead as dead can be.

The company has been out of business since 2004 (that's ten long long years - or half an eternity in the digital product age).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	palmiii.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	21583

And how you think you'll do CAD on a monochrom low res display is VERY MUCH beyond me.
    CAD (and CAM) belongs to my daily business... and there's nothing CAD-like to be run on a Palm 3...
    Even modern smartphones and tablets struggle with CAD stuff (ok, there's at least some apps to DISPLAY CAD files - but all editing so far is VERY basic still).
    Same goes for drawing on a Palm 3... unless you are into minimalist monochromatic art limited to low res displays..

Don't get me wrong - back in the day, those things were quite the thing - but they didn't keep up with time or customer request and lost the game to the quickly evolving smartphone market.

If you need no smart phone but want a good replacement that doesn't cost a fortune - check out the latest iPod touch models...
    Or some older android phones for really cheap options.
    The iPod Touch is a great PDA for a really neat price.
    At close to 200$ you get everything you could wish for in a PDA Style device.
    great screen, fast wifi, storage, music player, a large APP Eco-System & Accessory stuff (including waterproof / shock proof stuff), good browser, syncing with basically all calendaring / Email / groupware systems (or stand alone if you want to). Nice size too.
    And if you don't need wifi much and switch it off as well as bluetooth the battery is quite amazing.
    Ok,I don't really need cad, I just need one of the low res monochromatic drawing programs you mentioned earlier. I don't need internet or the ability to play music or video, it is pointless for my line of work. I just need a good protective case and a sketch program, and if possible a very basic Tetris. I'm not interested in modern technology, it's just ugly, I'm actually typing this on my very capable imac g4 from 12 years ago.i also don't need color, it is an overrated strain on the eyes that has no point for what I do.what I need Is the most simple drawing program so I can at least draw a line, I also need a protective case that will protect my palm.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittermunk View Post
    Ok,I don't really need cad, I just need one of the low res monochromatic drawing programs you mentioned earlier. I don't need internet or the ability to play music or video, it is pointless for my line of work. I just need a good protective case and a sketch program, and if possible a very basic Tetris. I'm not interested in modern technology, it's just ugly, I'm actually typing this on my very capable imac g4 from 12 years ago.i also don't need color, it is an overrated strain on the eyes that has no point for what I do.what I need Is the most simple drawing program so I can at least draw a line, I also need a protective case that will protect my palm.
    Lets put it different then:
    PALM IS OUT OF BUSINESS (and has been for TEN YEARS now).
    There is NO manufacturer left who makes accessories for your Palm - there are no software programmers left who do palm stuff anymore.
    It is VERY MUCH POINTLESS.
    Well actually there's "http://www.freewarepalm.com/" - an old site offering freeware Palm stuff... maybe you can find what you need there - at least for Software - but the stuff would not have been updated in like an eternity of course.

There never have been rugged cases for the Palm 3 if I remember correctly.
    So you're SOL in this regard too.

drawing on the Palm will be about as useful as beating a dead horse (actually at least the horse would yield you a nice tender steak).
    The palm III has a 160x160 screen resolution - it's not a lot you will be practically able to draw tiny stuff and certainly not be able to import / export any data (to that I think without data exchange ability what's the point)... you could just as well carry a notebook (paper) & pen and the drawing would be far far easier, more capable and less problematic.
    The Palm touchscreen was never terribly precise in regards of using a digitizer pen - and drawing on it was at best a cumbersome experience.

You can pick up an old Android Smartphone for less then 40$ - and it will do EVERYTHING you need, certainly far more than the Palm ever did...
    If you don't need the phone part - don't put a sim card in....
    You can download tons of drawing apps...
    You can disable all the functionality you don't need...
    and if you care for only high contrast display modes - you can have this too on every android device (accessibility settings).
    And if you switch all the stuff you don't need off, battery life will also beat your palm easily.

tech has evolved - you can find it ugly - but that doesn't change a few facts.
    and your G4 is of course still fine for basic apps, internet browsing and text typing if that is all you need.

Your statement about technological advancements is just like I'd be saying:
    "I still drive my 1769 Cugnot Steamer... (the "first" car ever made, with a steam engine) - because anything that came after it was plain ugly and useless".

The other aspect is that your Palm is completely out of service and at the age it has the battery will get worse and die... at that point you will be forced to replace it with something - sooner or later, but I guess sooner is more likely.
    So why go to length of finding some low-end app that didn't work well back in it's heyday ... why bother spending time and money to find some rugged (most likely never made) protective case for something that will be rendered obsolete anyhow.
    Why not take the time and money and invest it in something that actually works?
    Strip the emotional aspect and look at the problem from a purely logical point of view.

You'd be surprised the pockets of curmudgeon programmers that will stay loyal, or return to a beloved platform - that being said, I don't think the Palm III was any developer's beloved platform - here is an open source GCC resource for Palm OS development dated 11 years ago - positively modern! http://prc-tools.sourceforge.net/

The C64 still has a loyal hacker community, and there are some nuts that consider the Amiga the perfect machine. George RR Martin still uses a piece of software that almost as old as I am, presumably on an OS almost as old as that. There are plenty of things that old tech can do. I certainly realize that PalmPilot/PalmOS is a long defunct platform that didn't make nearly the splash of the current smartphone/tablet craze, but it's still a great little piece of tech.

Lets put it different then:
    PALM IS OUT OF BUSINESS (and has been for TEN YEARS now).
    There is NO manufacturer left who makes accessories for your Palm - there are no software programmers left who do palm stuff anymore.
    It is VERY MUCH POINTLESS.
    Well actually there's "http://www.freewarepalm.com/" - an old site offering freeware Palm stuff... maybe you can find what you need there - at least for Software - but the stuff would not have been updated in like an eternity of course.

There never have been rugged cases for the Palm 3 if I remember correctly.
    So you're SOL in this regard too.

drawing on the Palm will be about as useful as beating a dead horse (actually at least the horse would yield you a nice tender steak).
    The palm III has a 160x160 screen resolution - it's not a lot you will be practically able to draw tiny stuff and certainly not be able to import / export any data (to that I think without data exchange ability what's the point)... you could just as well carry a notebook (paper) & pen and the drawing would be far far easier, more capable and less problematic.
    The Palm touchscreen was never terribly precise in regards of using a digitizer pen - and drawing on it was at best a cumbersome experience.

You can pick up an old Android Smartphone for less then 40$ - and it will do EVERYTHING you need, certainly far more than the Palm ever did...
    If you don't need the phone part - don't put a sim card in....
    You can download tons of drawing apps...
    You can disable all the functionality you don't need...
    and if you care for only high contrast display modes - you can have this too on every android device (accessibility settings).
    And if you switch all the stuff you don't need off, battery life will also beat your palm easily.

tech has evolved - you can find it ugly - but that doesn't change a few facts.
    and your G4 is of course still fine for basic apps, internet browsing and text typing if that is all you need.

Your statement about technological advancements is just like I'd be saying:
    "I still drive my 1769 Cugnot Steamer... (the "first" car ever made, with a steam engine) - because anything that came after it was plain ugly and useless".

The other aspect is that your Palm is completely out of service and at the age it has the battery will get worse and die... at that point you will be forced to replace it with something - sooner or later, but I guess sooner is more likely.
    So why go to length of finding some low-end app that didn't work well back in it's heyday ... why bother spending time and money to find some rugged (most likely never made) protective case for something that will be rendered obsolete anyhow.
    Why not take the time and money and invest it in something that actually works?
    Strip the emotional aspect and look at the problem from a purely logical point of view.
    Ok, finally I got a website that I can at least get a drawing program from, I don't care about import/export and high resolution. I also don't care about color, it is overrated and is to complex, I prefer monochrome because it is less of a strain on the eyes. My palm also has a very good backlight that is a nice green color, and it dosen't need to be charged because it just takes some AAA batteries. I am not paying $40 for an android glass steel polished thing that hurts my eyes, requires charging every single day, and dosen't auto shut off after about 5 minutes. I have tapped out many manuscripts on my palm and have all my info in it. I just need a pattern for a palm case because I am a very good sewer and could probably hatch out a case in a few hours. Do they make Kevlar infused fabric because it would be like a juggernaut suit for my palm .

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    You'd be surprised the pockets of curmudgeon programmers that will stay loyal, or return to a beloved platform - that being said, I don't think the Palm III was any developer's beloved platform - here is an open source GCC resource for Palm OS development dated 11 years ago - positively modern! http://prc-tools.sourceforge.net/

The C64 still has a loyal hacker community, and there are some nuts that consider the Amiga the perfect machine. George RR Martin still uses a piece of software that almost as old as I am, presumably on an OS almost as old as that. There are plenty of things that old tech can do. I certainly realize that PalmPilot/PalmOS is a long defunct platform that didn't make nearly the splash of the current smartphone/tablet craze, but it's still a great little piece of tech.
    I agree, I'm the 2nd owner and she still boots up every time.

If you are bound and determined to keep using your Palm III, I think Saunders may have made aluminum hard cases for Palm back in the day. I know they made Ipaq cases and possibly a Palm V case. Good luck and keep us updated on your success or your abandonment of Palm.

Quote Originally Posted by nray999 View Post
    If you are bound and determined to keep using your Palm III, I think Saunders may have made aluminum hard cases for Palm back in the day. I know they made Ipaq cases and possibly a Palm V case. Good luck and keep us updated on your success or your abandonment of Palm.
    Ok, I'm going on ebay right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittermunk View Post
    Ok, finally I got a website that I can at least get a drawing program from, I don't care about import/export and high resolution. I also don't care about color, it is overrated and is to complex, I prefer monochrome because it is less of a strain on the eyes. My palm also has a very good backlight that is a nice green color, and it dosen't need to be charged because it just takes some AAA batteries. I am not paying $40 for an android glass steel polished thing that hurts my eyes, requires charging every single day, and dosen't auto shut off after about 5 minutes. I have tapped out many manuscripts on my palm and have all my info in it. I just need a pattern for a palm case because I am a very good sewer and could probably hatch out a case in a few hours. Do they make Kevlar infused fabric because it would be like a juggernaut suit for my palm .

- - - Updated - - -

I agree, I'm the 2nd owner and she still boots up every time.

About the Kevlar Fabric: here I can help you a bit better... http://www.extremtextil.de/index_en.html
    (it's a german site - but they have an english language website and ship internationally)... Kevlar, Dyneema, Cordura, whatever you fancy.

About colour screens being "useless".... And modern tech.
    I had used monochromatic displays in the past - and they have their virtues... but they have their downsides too.
    The "eye-strain" you seem to complain about is actually, at least on the current generation / last few generations of most smartphones not an issue at any rate - actually it is something that can be adjusted easily to fit your specific needs.
    The colour alone isn't responsible for your eyes tiring... Most of the time it's either a too bright backlight setting, too tiny font or far too less contrast....
    Modern LCDs have far better refresh rates, clearer lines (higher res) than anything Palm/etc ever made and can actually be far easier on the eyes.

Where I really fail to understand your "reasoning" for old tech is NOT in the aspect that you do not need certain features - but that you seem stuck in believing that a screen from 1997 (that is I believe when the Palm 3 hit the market) is BETTER than whatever is currently on offer.
    I guess 99.99% of the tech world (and I guess that figure is pretty much on the save side of statistics) would disagree with you from both scientific technical and practical view points.

Also Battery life...
    Just as an example - when I travel and don't need WiFi or Cell-Phone Connectivity and switch those off, I can get a weeks use out of my smartphone EASILY.
    If I don't use frequently - even more.
    Of course once you switch on 3G/4G, WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC, etc, start to shoot pictures, etc, then the battery will drain quickly. But as you say yourself, you do not need any of these things - so battery life will be actually outstanding.
    And then all it takes is 2hrs on a charger and you're good to go for another 1-2 weeks easily. (or a portable battery pack / porta-charger / or even a solar panel slapped on the backpack.).

What I'm saying is - current technology can offer you everything you need to... you don't need to be afraid of it... it actually does what you want.
    The thing is, that current gen tech, is VERY customisable... You can "dumb" it down (not meant in a derogatory fashion) to the point where it basically does nothing more than your palm ever did - but you can ramp it up to offer functionality far beyond it.

As a practical example... these days at work I often use the smartphone to photograph machinery parts before disassembling - so I can see where each part goes to, each cable etc...
    I often store tech-manuals in PDF format on it, so I have all the documentation ready on the go at client sites when I need to adjust / configure certain aspects.
    I use a CAD-Like drawing up for simple schematics, floor plans, wiring diagrams. But I hardly ever draw that stuff (aside from some wiring diagrams) on the tablet / smartphone,.. but rather do so on the computer and use the handheld device as a portable viewer.
    Thus it has really replaced the pen & paper for a lot of things in my work... quick and easy...

But I wonder, what is it that you plan to DRAW on a Palm III anyhow? (just being curious) - I really can not fathom any practical purpose for a drawing app on a 160x160 screen with a slow & non-precise touch-digitzer...? (it's basically like doing these silly digital signatures on DHL, FedEx, etc. mobile devices that the couriers use these days for your signature... your signature always looks like it was forged by a three year old, no matter how you try).
    And these are better than the Palm III at it...

About the Kevlar Fabric: here I can help you a bit better... http://www.extremtextil.de/index_en.html
    (it's a german site - but they have an english language website and ship internationally)... Kevlar, Dyneema, Cordura, whatever you fancy.

About colour screens being "useless".... And modern tech.
    I had used monochromatic displays in the past - and they have their virtues... but they have their downsides too.
    The "eye-strain" you seem to complain about is actually, at least on the current generation / last few generations of most smartphones not an issue at any rate - actually it is something that can be adjusted easily to fit your specific needs.
    The colour alone isn't responsible for your eyes tiring... Most of the time it's either a too bright backlight setting, too tiny font or far too less contrast....
    Modern LCDs have far better refresh rates, clearer lines (higher res) than anything Palm/etc ever made and can actually be far easier on the eyes.

Where I really fail to understand your "reasoning" for old tech is NOT in the aspect that you do not need certain features - but that you seem stuck in believing that a screen from 1997 (that is I believe when the Palm 3 hit the market) is BETTER than whatever is currently on offer.
    I guess 99.99% of the tech world (and I guess that figure is pretty much on the save side of statistics) would disagree with you from both scientific technical and practical view points.

Also Battery life...
    Just as an example - when I travel and don't need WiFi or Cell-Phone Connectivity and switch those off, I can get a weeks use out of my smartphone EASILY.
    If I don't use frequently - even more.
    Of course once you switch on 3G/4G, WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC, etc, start to shoot pictures, etc, then the battery will drain quickly. But as you say yourself, you do not need any of these things - so battery life will be actually outstanding.
    And then all it takes is 2hrs on a charger and you're good to go for another 1-2 weeks easily. (or a portable battery pack / porta-charger / or even a solar panel slapped on the backpack.).

What I'm saying is - current technology can offer you everything you need to... you don't need to be afraid of it... it actually does what you want.
    The thing is, that current gen tech, is VERY customisable... You can "dumb" it down (not meant in a derogatory fashion) to the point where it basically does nothing more than your palm ever did - but you can ramp it up to offer functionality far beyond it.

As a practical example... these days at work I often use the smartphone to photograph machinery parts before disassembling - so I can see where each part goes to, each cable etc...
    I often store tech-manuals in PDF format on it, so I have all the documentation ready on the go at client sites when I need to adjust / configure certain aspects.
    I use a CAD-Like drawing up for simple schematics, floor plans, wiring diagrams. But I hardly ever draw that stuff (aside from some wiring diagrams) on the tablet / smartphone,.. but rather do so on the computer and use the handheld device as a portable viewer.
    Thus it has really replaced the pen & paper for a lot of things in my work... quick and easy...

But I wonder, what is it that you plan to DRAW on a Palm III anyhow? (just being curious) - I really can not fathom any practical purpose for a drawing app on a 160x160 screen with a slow & non-precise touch-digitzer...? (it's basically like doing these silly digital signatures on DHL, FedEx, etc. mobile devices that the couriers use these days for your signature... your signature always looks like it was forged by a three year old, no matter how you try).
    And these are better than the Palm III at it...
    Thanks for the Kevlar website,that's a BIG help. The reason I countinue to use a fifteen year old palmtop computer is because it is very sturdy compared to any smartphone nowadays. I can't count the times I've dropped my palm and after all of it, it is still a working machine. All the milatary grade ipad/iphone/ipod cases look like something out of a scifi b movie. I am not an artist, but I can hash out good furry art on a screen that is 160x160 and not in color, to me it dosen't matter, if I wanted color I would have sprung for the Palm 3c model as on ebay, they are both about $15.00 without shipping. I have written vast amounts of words on my palm, and If I wanted to, i could buy a fold-up keyboard with case,if I need it, I can buy a palm camara,or a sync cradle. It also has great infrared data exchange and a pen!