Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Usage of the term cisgender

Default Usage of the term cisgender

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsukuni View Post
    That is probably the most fun fact I've heard all day! Haha. I like the idea of deities who aren't cisgendered. I want to make an entire list now of deities (of various faiths/mythologies) of deities who aren't cis. Mostly for fun, but it would be cool to put up a list for other people's reference, too! Or I could just make an "LGBT Deity Guide"
    I find it honestly disturbing that anyone actually cares what gender a deity is, that dumb "cis" term or not. No one should - gender should never be a factor in one's like of something, unless it's of course sexuality-wise, because that actually makes sense.

Default Religion

I must also add that "cisgender" is an actual term and used by those who are transgender, such as myself. To be told that is "dumb" is very rude and immature.
    Last edited by Mitsukuni; 25-Jul-2014 at 02:32. Reason: -

I must also add that "cisgender" is an actual term and used by those who are transgender, such as myself. To be told that is "dumb" is very rude and immature.
    And I must add as someone who is not transgendered, I dislike and take offense to labels that I don't want attached to me because I'm not trans.

It's moronic. To me, being called the stupid term "cis" is as abhorrent as being called a "tranny." I didn't create the term for myself, and I don't like people who are their biological sex being labeled as such, it's as simple as that. Agree to disagree, but don't call me a cis and I won't call anyone a "tranny." To me, both terms are just about the same.

Not only this, considering you're trans, and not the term "cis," on what grounds do you think you're eligible to be upset that someone thinks that the term is idiotic? You really don't - you're labeling something you're not a name that you're going to get upset at when the people whom are labeled it say it's stupid. You have zero right to be upset that someone hates it and calls it stupid. You're not the label you're using, you just made a label for a type of person that you're not and then said "this is you, you are this," regardless of the say of the people whom you attached this label to.

This is why that term is probably one of the moronic things I've heard in a long time and why it should not exist. You should never be allowed to create a name for a type of person that you're not and then act like you're allowed to be offended or upset when someone insults said label. I could do the same thing for "tranny," but that's disgusting and wrong to do. If I was an actual trans person and I called myself a "tranny," then I have that right to do, but because I'm not trans, I have zero right to call anyone a "tranny," just like trans people should have zero right to call anyone a "cis."

Double-standards are one of the worst things in the world, and this is a prime example of it. You cannot have things like this both ways.

Of course, "you" in the case of "you created this term" refers to an entire group of people, not a particular or specific person.

Cisgender - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please educate yourself before arguing over a term that 1) Was not directed at you, or anyone specifically in the first place. 2) Is non-derogatory term that is legitimately used to describe those who are comfortable with their gender identity that matches the sex you were born with.

Please do not even try to bring in a "double standard" argument. In this case it is simply not possible. You are not being harassed, threatened, or otherwise because you are not trans. Cis is a non-derogatory term that is not a slur. Tr*nny is a slur used to hurt and berate their identity, and is associated with violence against trans people. I am all for not putting labels on people, believe it or not. However, when used in a topic that regards trans issues and topics, the term cisgender is an important place holder. If you were to reread the post I had originally created that contained the term cisgender, you would see that I was using the term correctly and in a non-offensive way as only a placeholder for someone (or in this case, something) who is not trans. Be upset and angry all you want, but they are not equal terms.

Trans bashing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Violence against LGBT people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please educate yourself before arguing over a term that 1) Was not directed at you, or anyone specifically in the first place. 2) Is non-derogatory term that is legitimately used to describe those who are comfortable with their gender identity that matches the sex you were born with.
    Considering I'm not trans, the term is directed towards me whether you meant it to be or not, and how derogatory it is, is entirely subjective.

Please do not even try to bring in a "double standard" argument. In this case it is simply not possible. You are not being harassed, threatened, or otherwise because you are not trans. Cis is a non-derogatory term that is not a slur. Tr*nny is a slur used to hurt and berate their identity, and is associated with violence against trans people. I am all for not putting labels on people, believe it or not. However, when used in a topic that regards trans issues and topics, the term cisgender is an important place holder. If you were to reread the post I had originally created that contained the term cisgender, you would see that I was using the term correctly and in a non-offensive way as only a placeholder for someone (or in this case, something) who is not trans. Be upset and angry all you want, but they are not equal terms.
    I never claimed I was being harassed, threatened or attacked. I claimed that I find the term disgusting, I didn't design the label for myself, and I have zero desire to have someone who isn't even the term their using to try and push the term on to me and people like me. I can consider "cis" a slur, and there's really not much reasoning against or for it, as it's entirely subjective and based on the person. Some trans people may not consider "tranny" a slur, just like some gay people may not consider "faggot" one either, and they may use it to describe themselves. When they do so, I'm sure you'd agree that it's okay in that situation, because they're of the label that the slur is meant to insult, although it is wrong for someone to call a gay person a "faggot," just as it is wrong to call a trans person a "tranny," or even a black person a "nigger," when black people refer to themselves as it constantly (of course, this is a generalization and not entirely factual as it depends on who you are). I'm sure you'd agree that me screaming "nigger" at a black person is disgusting, but a black person using the term is okay. (e.g. a gay person has the right to call themselves "faggot," but a straight person cannot. Black people can call each other "nigga/nigger" although anyone who is not black may not.)

This is called a double-standard, and it's moronic and has no place in this world. I did not design the label "cis" for myself, so do not act as though you have this right to refer to me as it. You're trans, not "cis," the label is not meant for you. You should hold no bearing in this world that gives you any basic right to refer to anyone as such, yet you do, and you argue and stomp your foot that you should be allowed. If that's the case, I argue and stop my foot that I should be able to use any of the three labels above. Whether or not it is insulting or a slur is subjective to the person, although apparently the subjectivity lies in what type of person said it.

You can easily say "nontrans" person, because that is exactly what people who are not trans are: they are non-trans people. They are not trans. "Cis" is a term that holds zero place in this world. At the bottom if the article you linked, there is a criticism that I entirely agree with, although it is only about a sentence long. The article itself isn't long to begin with, so I hold nothing against how short the criticism's part is. "Cis" stands for "Comfortable in Skin." You cannot make that claim towards me, what makes you think that I'm comfortable with who I am or that I'm comfortable in my own skin, just because I'm not trans? What makes you think that other trans people are not comfortable in their own skin even though they see themselves as the wrong gender? You can't make these claims. The term means something entirely different from just "not trans," yet it's used to simply describe someone who is not trans, although "non-trans" works just as well and even further pushes the point that they are on equal grounds with one another.

I am not a "cis" and you are not a "tranny." I am non-trans and you are trans - we are equals.

And yes, I understand that "cis" is latin for "across from," and "cis" people are across from, or opposites of, trans people. Although a simple google search with "CIS Comfortable in Skin" will bring you across virtually every tumblr on the planet that has something to do with trans people, and you'll see that all of their usage of "cis" is to mean Comfortable in Skin, and they declare every single time that it indeed does mean Comfortable in Skin. Although the word is latin and is actually supposed to mean something different from what everyone thinks it does, the majority of the people who use it do not realize it and use it to mean the acronym instead.

Trans bashing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Neither of these articles are important in this discussion, nor do they push any point. All they do is highlight that LGBT people have undergone hate and violence, which is very well known, but it is not the topic of discussion, nor does it influence the discussion in any way. The violence against LGBT people is not something to fall back on to prove a point, as it undermines the hate and violence that the people who have endured it have gone through. The violence they have experienced is not important in this discussion, and it actually has nothing to do with anything I was originally referring to. Please do not use the violence as a fall back, for reasons above.
    Last edited by KuroCat; 26-Jul-2014 at 20:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    And I must add as someone who is not transgendered, I dislike and take offense to labels that I don't want attached to me because I'm not trans.
    If you have a more efficient way of me referring to your gender as being in-born rather than trans, I'm extremely receptive.

Quote Originally Posted by AEsahaettr View Post
    If you have a more efficient way of me referring to your gender as being in-born rather than trans, I'm extremely receptive.
    Non-trans.

It's really not all that difficult. Trans people dislike labels they didn't create stuck on them and prefer to be called the proper pronouns, and I dislike labels I didn't create to be stuck on me and I want to be called the nouns I prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    Non-trans.

It's really not all that difficult. Trans people dislike labels they didn't create stuck on them and prefer to be called the proper pronouns, and I dislike labels I didn't create to be stuck on me and I want to be called the nouns I prefer.
    I completely agree with your above points on labels like, for example, how someone with dwarfism may or may not be comfortable with the term "midget".
    Last edited by HogansHeroes; 05-Aug-2014 at 01:35. Reason: removing off-topic parts

Are cis people seriously objecting to the adjective 'cisgender'? Like ?? Are people going to start wetting their pants over being called 'white' or 'short' now? Cis literally JUST means 'not trans'. If you are not trans/non-binary you are LITERALLY cis. The use of a completely objective and descriptive term cannot in any way compare to the use of a slur with a horrific and painful history. If you cannot see any difference in connotation and meaning between, say, 'f*ggot' and 'gay man'

This is like throwing a fit over somebody describing your (brown) hair as being 'brown'. You want everyone to call it chestnut! CHESTNUT, DAMMIT!

I'm overweight. I don't particularly like hearing it, but you know, that word is /literally/ what I am. There are polite euphemisms ('chubby', 'cuddly') words more commonly used ('fat') or nasty insults ('fatty', 'land whale') to describe my body. Maybe I'd prefer one of those. But in descriptions of me, 'overweight' is completely accurate, and it would be ludicrously childish for me to say I refuse to be described as overweight - that 'non-thin' is my preferred identification, thank you. It would be even more childish for me to compare being called 'overweight' (which I objectively am) to being called a 'f*ggot' or any other slur.

??? Just ??? what is this even.

Quote Originally Posted by CharliePup View Post
    Are cis people seriously objecting to the adjective 'cisgender'? Like ?? Are people going to start wetting their pants over being called 'white' or 'short' now? Cis literally JUST means 'not trans'. If you are not trans/non-binary you are LITERALLY cis. The use of a completely objective and descriptive term cannot in any way compare to the use of a slur with a horrific and painful history. If you cannot see any difference in connotation and meaning between, say, 'f*ggot' and 'gay man'

This is like throwing a fit over somebody describing your (brown) hair as being 'brown'. You want everyone to call it chestnut! CHESTNUT, DAMMIT!

I'm overweight. I don't particularly like hearing it, but you know, that word is /literally/ what I am. There are polite euphemisms ('chubby', 'cuddly') words more commonly used ('fat') or nasty insults ('fatty', 'land whale') to describe my body. Maybe I'd prefer one of those. But in descriptions of me, 'overweight' is completely accurate, and it would be ludicrously childish for me to say I refuse to be described as overweight - that 'non-thin' is my preferred identification, thank you. It would be even more childish for me to compare being called 'overweight' (which I objectively am) to being called a 'f*ggot' or any other slur.

??? Just ??? what is this even.
    "I like to completely ignore everything that was said and repeat the same argument that was put in the trash can."