Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me buy a laptop please!

Default Help me buy a laptop please!

Hi my favorite diaper techies, Im looking for help selecting a new laptop to buy for my mom.

Obviously Im looking to save a lot of money, so anything around $200 or less is desired.

The requirements for this laptop are very low, my mom only needs a laptop that can read her watchtower cd's, so that means small hard drive and a cd reader.

She has no internet access at her home. But I can update and install whatever programs she may need.

As for the OS, anything will do, win95 is fine with me.

The laptop does not need a lot of internal memory, it basically just has to read CD's and run a word processor.

My moms old laptop was one I gave her, The screen doesn't turn on but I can hear the fans running at boot up, it looks like it may be the screen possibly the graphics card also but I haven't been able to diagnose that. Its a toshiba satellite; would it be cheaper to buy a new screen and replace it or should i just buy another comp for her?

Any advice is welcomed. Thanks for the help you wonderful waddling people.

My wife got a refurbished one for a good price from Wally Mart last year. Check there and Best Buy for refurbished ones.

Hi.

If battery time is not important:
    For the requirements your mother has I would recomend getting a used/second hand laptop. That would be far cheaper than buying a new one.
    Laptop CD/DVD players are often defective on older laptops, so make sure that works with a music/software CD.

Well i would recommend a chrome book or a mini laptop for cheap, but that obviously doesn't fit what you need. Because of needing a disk drive, I would suggest a referb as well if you are really trying to go cheap and still have a disk drive, most cheap devices don't have dvd drives anymore. http://www.dellauction.com/ Is a place that i personally haven't tried, but i knew a guy who once did and was satisfied. You might be able to find a cheapy on there.

The other option is to get a Mini laptop for her such as http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-NB505-...laptop+windows

And then you can remove the old DVD drive from her laptop, and use a converter cable to make the DVD drive connect with usb using this silly device (so long as it looks like it is the same conneciton, i have one for my old dvd drive and it works great): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 The reason i would suggest using the old dvd drive and this little converter is it is cheaper than buying an external dvd drive that is new.

Note: I didn't put much effort into finding a good mini laptop that i would actually suggest, but the one i posted is pretty cheap.

Note-2: Also, dellauction.com sometimes does not include an operating system, you have to watch out for that, unless you want to buy an OS after.

Old laptop and wheelchairs don't mix well unless you have a laptop cooler. here why. Older laptops have fans. Which sucks air from the bottom which acts as a vacuum. Any fabric that has lint and such Cat hair and such will be suck in and burn out the laptop. Older windows if a problem happens like you have to reformat the computer you can not update it.

A another idea is Get a tablet with 32 to 64 gb of ram. Now what you can do is upload watchtower to the tablet and update as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
    Get a tablet with 32 to 64 gb of ram.

Get her a mid-range android tablet plus this DVD reader:
    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Portab.../dp/B008AJLPYS
    (it is supposed to work with android too - but may need a so called USB OTG (on the go) cable ... but those are cheap).

Or as suggested rip the CD/DVDs and put them on the tablet / USB Storage...

For these needs though tablets are in general far more applicable then entire PC/Laptops.
    Easier to use, more intuitive - light weight, good battery life, good screens... very portable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulqy117 View Post

My moms old laptop was one I gave her, The screen doesn't turn on but I can hear the fans running at boot up, it looks like it may be the screen possibly the graphics card also but I haven't been able to diagnose that. Its a toshiba satellite; would it be cheaper to buy a new screen and replace it or should i just buy another comp for her?

Any advice is welcomed. Thanks for the help you wonderful waddling people.
    You might not actually have to replace the screen. I had the same problem with this laptop I'm using now. I could tell the computer was booting but nothing was being output to the screen so I hooked it up to an external monitor and reinstalled the operating system and that fixed my issue (what ever it actually was :/ )

acorn

Quote Originally Posted by soupy View Post
    You might not actually have to replace the screen. I had the same problem with this laptop I'm using now. I could tell the computer was booting but nothing was being output to the screen so I hooked it up to an external monitor and reinstalled the operating system and that fixed my issue (what ever it actually was :/ )
    There is a switch that powers down the screen when the laptop is closed. Another possibility, this switch is has dirty or worn contacts which would prevent the screen from lighting up A common enough complaint with older laptops. As you mentioned attaching an external screen, this would give a better idea of what is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by acorn View Post
    There is a switch that powers down the screen when the laptop is closed. Another possibility, this switch is has dirty or worn contacts which would prevent the screen from lighting up A common enough complaint with older laptops. As you mentioned attaching an external screen, this would give a better idea of what is happening.
    Im currently looking into finding a cable to hookup to an external monitor but no luck so far. Money is tight so I cant be spending too much looking for and buying replacements for it to work. I like the idea of the netbook and modifying the dvd drive, that was recently replaced so I know it works.

Thank you guys for the suggestions.