Thread: Any GM truck drivers here?

Default Any GM truck drivers here?

Thinking about getting a different daily driving vehicle. I currently own a 1997 2-Door GMC Yukon SLT with a 350 Chevy engine in it. Trying to decide between another Yukon (newer 4-door. 04-05ish in year) vs. a Sierra pickup (maybe 03-06?) with an extended or quad cab. I've heard people say that pickup trucks handle horribly while I know others who love them. Love driving my Yukon and the tight wheelbase on it. Just thinking I might like a pickup for hauling bigger stuff and a change of pace from SUVs. Was dead set on an SUV for a long time but now thinking a pickup might be cool. I see a lot of forums with people saying that pickups are way better than SUVs and that they handle about the same. Anyone that's converted from SUVs to pickups that can speak from experience? Still want the comfortable ride of an SUV but would like the capabilities of a pickup truck.

Don't have much experience but the Ford F150 is fun to drive. Lots of room. Only reason I would take an SUV over a truck is gas. But if you have the money to pay for the gas...

Other thing is that trucks are horrible in the snow. So if you live where it snows be prepared to fishtail unless you add weight to the back thus killing gas mileage even more

I have a 2008 Sierra Quad Cab and drive a 2012 F-150 Quad Cab for my work truck. I also have an SUV.

I'm a bigger fan of the GMC for the interior finish, seats and more room in the front seats. I can get 20mpg out of it on the highway with 33" tires and a tuner. Haven't had any issues with it outside of regular maintenance. The only thing I would look out for is mild oil consumption that is a byproduct of an incorrect break-in and the displacement on demand system. City mileage is decent for what it is. Since it is bigger than the SUV, it does feel bigger and it is a bit harder to park. Towing mirrors and backup sensors/camera are a HUGE benefit for fullsize trucks.

With the Ford, it has a little bit more get up and go off the line, but the interior and front seat room is behind the GMC. The rear seats feel like they have a bit more leg room, but they also feel like they sit lower and further back. Not sure about mileage as I don't pay for gas and don't care. All of my driving with it is also below 45mph.

I have NEVER had an issue in the winter, both snow and ice; fishtailing is a factor only if you don't realize what you're driving and/or have bad tires for the conditions. Gas is going to be about the same between the truck and another large SUV.

I have a 1991 S-10 Tahoe Edition 4x4, love it, almost 200,000 KM's on it now, and has been places I never thought it would go, incredible 4 wheel drive ability! I put on some 31" tires, biggest I could run with and not need to put in a lift, short wheelbase get you through most stuff you will find in the woods. A pig on gas though with the 4.3L V-6, would get better mileage in an F-150, but too long. All depends on what you want to do with it, and just how much "off-roading" you do. Oh, & snow? What snow? 2+ feet is not even a challenge with some added weight!