Thread: Parents fighting

Default Parents fighting

So I've had this and wanted to get it off my chest for a long time. No one else that I can trust so I figured I'd make a post here and maybe get some reassurance/advice from other members that may have experienced something similar or have ideas on what I can do so it doesn't affect me as much.

My parents fight. A lot. It seems like everything has to be a big deal with my father who likes to control situations. He can be very smart, kind, and helpful when he wants to be. He tries very hard to make others happy and to provide for us even though he doesn't work full-time anymore. However, he is often under the belief that his way is the best way to do things. He's an alcoholic and often becomes aggressive after he's been drinking. He yells, swears, and says very demeaning things about others. However, he is capable of doing these things when sober too. He has stolen money from both me and my mother which has forced me to have to hide my wallet and anything valuable from sight where it could be grabbed. He doesn't want to admit that he can't do what he was once capable of doing (he has arthritis) and gets mad whenever I try to help him thinking I'm showing off to him or something. He thinks that my mom and I conspire against him and talk about him which isn't true.

My mom is a kind person, but she worries a lot about me and my well-being. She has always been concerned about others taking my DL side wrong and thinking of me as someone interested in children. She seeks my advice and approval a lot on different things which I don't mind but can feel a lot of pressure sometimes. We spend quite a bit of time together and can often get along, but I can't take it when all she'll do is complain about my dad. On the other hand, I can't take it when my dad will only complain about mom. I just try changing the subject or saying to them that I don't want to talk about it. That often leads to an awkward silence. She will sometimes tell me not to trust my father and on the flip side my father will tell me not to trust my mother.

I love both of my parents and wouldn't trade them for anything in the world. They have provided me with a great life and the resources I need to thrive. I love them, but not everything that they do. It's really hard to talk with either of them. My father is still in denial about his alcoholism and believes that he doesn't have a problem. He will lie straight to my face about stealing beer or money from me thinking that it isn't a problem. He thinks that the reason my mom yells at him always has to do with money but she's often frustrated with his behavior. Other times, she'll yell at him over stupid things like leaving a door open or something. She's very protective of her pets and me. I try telling her not to flip out over little things but it still happens.

I don't know what to do. I really can't help either of my parents and talking to them is near impossible. Neither of them want me to leave or move out. They want me to stay. If the future of their relationship is fighting, then I don't want a piece of it anymore. I want to move out. But, it would be really hard to do for me as I don't have a lot of money saved to do it. I don't even know where I would go or where I would live. My mom hates whenever I mention the word "moving" and thinks that she did something wrong to make me want to move out. She wants me to stay or go with her if she decides to move out (can't say I would but it upsets her whenever I say that). My father would likely be okay with me moving because it would get me away from my mom. I think it would help if I moved because then I could keep my sanity and happiness that is taken whenever they fight. My mom will always say that she will do whatever it takes to get me to stay. I always tell her and my dad to stop fighting, but she'll explain that she has to get that way in order for him to listen. It's really complicated.

I realize that there isn't much (if anything) I can do to stop them. I have tried, but it's hard to make them realize that what they're doing has an effect on me. It's too hard to sit down and talk to them about it because neither party really wants to accept the situation or listen. I've tried. I've begged. Nothing has changed.

All that I'm hoping is that when I have children, I will try not to have them witness the fighting between my spouse and I. It does have a detrimental effect on children and does upset them. I realize that arguments are part of any relationship, but it doesn't need to be aggressive or verbally abusive.

Sorry for the somewhat rambly post. I just wrote it as I felt and hope that someone can help me feel less alone in this situation. Thanks.

Atomic6

Quote Originally Posted by PearlPinkFloydJam View Post
    So I've had this and wanted to get it off my chest for a long time. No one else that I can trust so I figured I'd make a post here and maybe get some reassurance/advice from other members that may have experienced something similar or have ideas on what I can do so it doesn't affect me as much.

My parents fight. A lot. It seems like everything has to be a big deal with my father who likes to control situations. He can be very smart, kind, and helpful when he wants to be. He tries very hard to make others happy and to provide for us even though he doesn't work full-time anymore. However, he is often under the belief that his way is the best way to do things. He's an alcoholic and often becomes aggressive after he's been drinking. He yells, swears, and says very demeaning things about others. However, he is capable of doing these things when sober too. He has stolen money from both me and my mother which has forced me to have to hide my wallet and anything valuable from sight where it could be grabbed. He doesn't want to admit that he can't do what he was once capable of doing (he has arthritis) and gets mad whenever I try to help him thinking I'm showing off to him or something. He thinks that my mom and I conspire against him and talk about him which isn't true.

My mom is a kind person, but she worries a lot about me and my well-being. She has always been concerned about others taking my DL side wrong and thinking of me as someone interested in children. She seeks my advice and approval a lot on different things which I don't mind but can feel a lot of pressure sometimes. We spend quite a bit of time together and can often get along, but I can't take it when all she'll do is complain about my dad. On the other hand, I can't take it when my dad will only complain about mom. I just try changing the subject or saying to them that I don't want to talk about it. That often leads to an awkward silence. She will sometimes tell me not to trust my father and on the flip side my father will tell me not to trust my mother.

I love both of my parents and wouldn't trade them for anything in the world. They have provided me with a great life and the resources I need to thrive. I love them, but not everything that they do. It's really hard to talk with either of them. My father is still in denial about his alcoholism and believes that he doesn't have a problem. He will lie straight to my face about stealing beer or money from me thinking that it isn't a problem. He thinks that the reason my mom yells at him always has to do with money but she's often frustrated with his behavior. Other times, she'll yell at him over stupid things like leaving a door open or something. She's very protective of her pets and me. I try telling her not to flip out over little things but it still happens.

I don't know what to do. I really can't help either of my parents and talking to them is near impossible. Neither of them want me to leave or move out. They want me to stay. If the future of their relationship is fighting, then I don't want a piece of it anymore. I want to move out. But, it would be really hard to do for me as I don't have a lot of money saved to do it. I don't even know where I would go or where I would live. My mom hates whenever I mention the word "moving" and thinks that she did something wrong to make me want to move out. She wants me to stay or go with her if she decides to move out (can't say I would but it upsets her whenever I say that). My father would likely be okay with me moving because it would get me away from my mom. I think it would help if I moved because then I could keep my sanity and happiness that is taken whenever they fight. My mom will always say that she will do whatever it takes to get me to stay. I always tell her and my dad to stop fighting, but she'll explain that she has to get that way in order for him to listen. It's really complicated.

I realize that there isn't much (if anything) I can do to stop them. I have tried, but it's hard to make them realize that what they're doing has an effect on me. It's too hard to sit down and talk to them about it because neither party really wants to accept the situation or listen. I've tried. I've begged. Nothing has changed.

All that I'm hoping is that when I have children, I will try not to have them witness the fighting between my spouse and I. It does have a detrimental effect on children and does upset them. I realize that arguments are part of any relationship, but it doesn't need to be aggressive or verbally abusive.

Sorry for the somewhat rambly post. I just wrote it as I felt and hope that someone can help me feel less alone in this situation. Thanks.
    ya buddy i know this is not what u wanted but my.panrents fight a lot also and in the past three months they both had near death experiences but that still have not realize that life isn't always about fighting they we all tell one another to move out and no.one does beacuse the only one with financial ability is my father beacuse of his disability money but anyway tell them that if they dont seek help you will move out

Sorry to hear all that. You know it sounds like there's a few issues here, and some counselling wouldn't go astray.

I think that your dad is depressed, probably he's not coping with his new situation really well....he seriously needs to talk to someone. The drink and aggressiveness is a result of how he's not coping. In some ways maybe he resents the closeness you have with your mom too. Obviously you provide her with a lot of support.

Until he resolves some of the frustrations he has, I don't see him being happy.....and stopping taking it out on himself and you guys.

Best of luck.

Not a rambling post at all. You needed to say the things you did in order to give us the full picture.

First of all, you said your dad is an alcoholic. Until he admits it and gets help from a place such as AA he will continue his ways. You can go to Al-Anon in the meantime to help you understand his behavior. Is he physically aggressive against you or your mother? If so, this is a crime. You can call the police and they will intervene and a judge would force your dad to get the help he needs.

Second, your mom doesn't want you to leave as it seems you are her only friend in this volatile relationship. It sounds like you have a good relationship with her and maybe the two of you can get your dad to AA or you both can go to Al-Anon together.

Please keep us posted.

I'm sorry to hear this is happening to you. I had a dissimilar experience when I was 12 years old. My parents didn't argue and in fact, got along quite well, but my dad's health was quite poor. He always had heart problems and had had one or two heart attacks before I was 12.

We were going bankrupt, living in a new house that my parents couldn't afford. My mom would come into my room at night and talk to me about it, sometimes crying. The thing was, I was only 12 and when we moved, I had a complete psychotic break. I lost an entire week of consciousness. We all did survive this, and my parents pulled themselves up.

What I learned from this was that their problems were not my problem. They made it become my problem. This is your situation. Their arguing, your dad's alcoholism is all their problem. You have several options. You might find a cheap apartment and go in with a friend, both of you splitting the rent. It's possible your mom is ready to leave and the two of you could get an apartment.

There might be someone else in your family who your dad would listen to. Beyond that, there will come a time when you will move out and start your life. Your mom will have to learn that this is her problem and that she will have to find her own solutions. You might talk to her about that. You also might talk to your dad when he's sober and in a better mood. I wish you the best in all of this.

This sounds so much like me life story also.

This sounds like my parents so much, different story, same script.

Again sounds like my life story also with a different scenario.

This puts you between a rock and a hard place.

I am sorry but this is a scenario right out of the psychology 101 class that I took.

There is not anything that you can do. the only way it is going to change is if they admit to the problems and work on changing it them selves.

I struggle with this every day. It hurts when I realize that I am acting like my parents and I have been working very hard for the last year to us "my words" to explain my frustration instead of just popping off.

You are not rambling. As all of the post so far have shown you are not alone and there are many of us that have grown up in this environment and then "they" question why we are here.

The main thing is that this is a support group and we are here to help even if all it is to let you vent and learn that you are not alone.

First: I will tell you this and hopefully keep you from the desperate situations that I got my self into.

The most important person in this whole scenario is you! You have to take care of yourself first and this is NOT being selfish. If you have to start just telling them to leave me out of it and walk off, there is nothing wrong with that.

Second: As I understand it you are in a no win situation. So it would be in your best interest to start making moves to do what you need to keep you health and well being under control.

As long as you FATHER IS IN DENIAL about his problems there is nothing that is going to change.

My parents where soul mates but they could not communicate with out yelling. Unfortunately all of us kids learned that as the way to deal with issues and until I got out of that environment and in trouble at work a few times for unnecessary yelling. Until I learned that communication is an art of effective dialog, I have gotten to were I can talk with out the blow up.

The thing that is going on that you can change is to keep doing what you have done.

The term is called TRIANGULATION. Party A complains to party B about party C and nothing ever gets solved.

My mother is the past master of this tactic. As long as she could keep us kids fighting with one another she could be the "savior" and work on keeping the peace. As long as you are mad at who se is mad at then you are here buddy.

We finally figured out after many years and funny thing every thing is hunky dory and she is working on my sister-in law just so she has that piece of control. Which it is nothing of the sort.

So I will stop beating around the bush and say that when you tell them to leave you out of it is the best move that you can do and it comes back to the first thing I said and take care of yourself first.

There is a thread in the "School House Rocks ADISC" called Collaborative Problem solving that has some ideas that would help you and your folks (If they will listen) that can help start a way to solve the communication problem. If nothing else what I have wound up doing may work for you and the suggestions that this program uses helps me stop ,step back and think before I get caught up in the arguing/blowups.

So again. You are not rambling or whining, you are just looking for some support and that is what we are here for.

Good Luck.

Aidy1

Great advice people and I agree. I unfortunately saw lots of kids affected by families arguing and I agree, protect yourself emotionally and mentally first. Even though you're 23 these things still have an impact on you.

If you are really worried about it contact someone who can help. In Australia Kids Help Line (run by Boystown Australia) works with people up to the age of 25 because they understand people don't grow up instantly. Boys Town Hotline USA may also serve people up to the age of 25. Free counseling and advice for any problem. They'll also be able to point you in the right direction for community resources and the like.

http://www.boystown.org/hotline

PearlPinkFloydJam,

I know what you are going through somewhat. My father is an Alcoholic control freak himself, when my parents fight they really fight. Often I'll get dragged into it and yelled at for inane reasons. The screaming can last for a few minutes to a few hours, and usually ends up with one party leaving the house. I hate it. You're not alone

Hello PearlPinkFloydJam

You know I hate when I have to eat my words.

Ever since I wrote that response I have been so aware of how often I just pop off and do not talk to my kids. I just spent about a half an hour practicing what I preached in my post.
    I guess the bottom line is that no matter what we say it only works if we do it. I thought I was, but realized what a funk I have been in for the last week and I did not realize that I need to talk and not just pop.

The whole point of this is to illustrate how easy it is to yell, yet good communication is so easy to do but it is not the first line of thought, and it actually takes thought and effort to do.

I wish I knew a way to make everyone stop and talk instead of fight/yell.

Egor

Wow.

Thanks for the support, everyone. I really appreciate the sincere and thoughtful comments this thread has generated. I don't think I've ever been on a site so caring and positive. I really like seeing that there are people who have been in similar situations and can see where I am coming from. I have never opened up about this issue with anyone personally and still have reservations about it. Frankly, I find it embarrassing and sad. I would open up to people personally if physical abuse or aggression was taken against me, but that really hasn't been an issue. The arguments haven't been physical against me, but my parents have hit each other before.

My best solution for all of this (and I have been doing this all along) is to keep my health and wellness first in the hierarchy of needs. The arguments don't often last long and usually are isolated. In fact, most of the time conversation is pretty normal here. But when the fights start, they are intense. It is difficult to listen to and hear them. I try not to, but it's impossible. I have never felt the need to leave or move because I feel unsafe. Really, it is more because I am tired of hearing it and would like to start my own life where I could have someone over without fear of embarrassment. I'm sure most partners wouldn't want to see an intoxicated father of the man they are dating. Doesn't really do much good in the long-term relationship department. I wouldn't want it to be something that was a total deal-breaker as I am not my father. I do drink on occasion, but I have and respect the limits I have set. I understand that I am predisposed to alcoholism because of my father so I make sure I don't place myself in a situation where it could develop. Frankly, I have been turned off quite strongly to alcohol because I have seen what it can do to a family. Let it be known I would NEVER want my children seeing me intoxicated and being afraid to approach me after drinking. It's no way for a child to grow up.

I have looked into moving, but unfortunately rates in the area are quite high. I likely could live in some slum apartments or get a small studio apt., but I really do not want to do that just yet. I really have a lot of stuff and would feel bad leaving it behind knowing I may not be able to ever get it back. More importantly, I really don't have the money or steady employment I'd like to have prior to moving. I have been making considerably good money selling stuff on eBay and decluttering. Also, I work in the schools so I am only in from August-May. I am looking into working an extra job or two in order to bank some extra money as right now I have no rent expenses or car payments (it's paid off). Once I move out, I'll be paying for insurance, rent, furnishings, and possibly utilities. That's a lot of extra expenses to take on that I have never had before. I don't want to go into debt unless it is a last resort. If I feel I need to move out immediately because I'm feeling threatened, I have no problem in doing that as there isn't a choice at that point. Right now, I don't feel that so I am staying as far as the immediate future shows.

I read a post from a member saying I could move out with my mom. First, my father would likely be furious about this decision and actually I would feel more scared than I am now. I'd be afraid he'd chase us down or stalk us. Plus, I'd feel uncomfortable having an apartment with just my mom. She's very lonely and has lost confidence in her life right now. She feels the only one she can turn to is me. It would be a lot of pressure to have to entertain her all the time plus enjoy my own life. I also wouldn't feel safe letting her have access to my stuff. Not that I don't trust her, but whenever she finds "questionable" items (i.e. diapers), she becomes concerned and gives me this weird, awkward chat about them. I know it's nothing malicious or to embarrass me, but it is difficult to do each time as I don't know how to explain it. She's fine with my DL side for what she knows about it (basically she knows of it as an interest in diapers), but would still wonder why I have items related to it in my possession. Long story short, I would rather move into my own place rather than bringing more stressors into my life like it would likely do.

I don't expect my father to change. He is still in denial about his alcoholism and thinks he does not drink enough to have a negative impact. It's hard to talk to him even when he's sober because: A) he often starts drinking early in the day and B) he can never remember the long fights and just thinks that they are part of any relationship. Plus, he thinks my mom exaggerates on stuff too much and blames the fight on her. He is also under the impression that my mom fabricates statements for me to tell him so that will get him to stop drinking. This isn't true but whenever I try being sincere in talking to him, he never believes it. He has been to a counselor for his drinking with my mom. From what my mom said (and I believe this from other incidents), he believes that there is absolutely no issue at hand and that the arguments are stemmed from other reasons. I have learned about his past and I am sure it was rough, but there's no excuse to take out past anger on the people that love him.

Frankly, I don't want to move. I like my house. It has been where I've grown up and practically lived forever. I want to help my parents because I know without me, things would be a mess. I help my parents out a lot as they are both older and have health issues. I will go grocery shopping, help with moving/carrying items, laundry, cleaning, cooking...the list goes on. I do all of this because I love them both; even my father. I just can't let their problems become my problems. I'm too young to have to carry extra burdens on my back and need to start out life on my own without carrying the stress of others on my back.

Thanks again for everything, friends. I didn't want to sound like some whiny brat that didn't get their way in my original post that I often see online because that is kind of how I have felt before (I have a good home with two parents and am safe. Why should I be angry? What more could I want?). The truth is that I am correct for wanting better conditions and that doesn't make me a rotten person. I've tried looking up solutions to this problem but often it is hard to find someone in a situation relative to mine. I know it's emotionally draining for you and me both, but your care doesn't go unnoticed. I must say that I LOVE this site and have never felt more respected online before coming here. I feel like I can share almost anything without being ridiculed, judged, or trolled. This is what the internet should be and there should be more good people like you all here. Thank you.