3 8.82%
  • Maybe, I need advice

0 0%
  • Potatoes

12 35.29%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talc: to use, or not to use.

Question Talc: to use, or not to use.

before we start, I send my sincerest apologies to those effected by my last poll, it was an honest question that blew up in my face. I am very sorry about the things I said, I wasn't thinking and screwed up big time. Let's try to put that behind us and listen to this very serious poll.

Talc is a naturally occurring mineral mined for its soft, rejuvenating, and gental properties, talc is used in such products as cosmetics,talcum powder, and yes, baby powder. The reason talcum powder is being discussed today is because studies have show talc to cause medical problems such as cancer, an ailment with no known cure. The reason I am even talking about this is because of the nature of this sit end the fact that our members are likely to use baby powder, a product which contains the dreaded talc. So you, the adisc community, yes ALL of you, I would like you to weigh In as always, on the issue of talc.

Again, sorry for the last pull, if sucked

Talcum powder is in fact a known carcinogen according to my primary doctor. If you inhale it you can get lung cancer from it allegedly. In fact from what I know most gyms in my area with rockwalls will not even allow you to bring talcum powder onto their property anymore because of this. I can even go on Google or ask.com and find you multiple sources of formation concerning this if you want?

It may irritate soft tissues, which is why it has the potential to cause lung and rectal cancer with repeated exposure.

I'd say just stick to corn starch based powders, which is more common than talc in some regions already, or use lotions.

Corn starch is what I use. They are both fine powders and are dangerous if inhaled in large amounts. Anything that fine is dangerous to inhale.

I put down no because of the health concerns. I used to use the corn starch kind, but I've gotten away from it. I do use baby oil and baby lotion which I really like. Like baby powder, the smell brings back fond memories.

Oh, my god-WHO VOTED POTATOES?!
    Anyways, I'm good with cornstarch, I happen to enjoy not having cancer.

I'd say talc and cornstarch are suited to different uses. I use both. I've found that talc works better for keeping my skin dry, especially when air circulation is poor, and so I use it mainly on the sides of my hips that are often covered by the plastic wings of my diapers and lack padding for air circulation.

Talk however seems to make skin irritation worse, and doesn't seem to manage sweat and wetness buildup, so I use that down below to keep things cool and friction-free even though they'll have to deal with sweat etc.

I also use talc on my back just under my diaper, where again there's usually an area of unpadded plastic that suffocates my skin and makes it sweat and itch overnight as I lay on my back.

Talc is completely safe as long as it stays outside your body. Avoid breathing it, and breathe through your nose (not your mouth) whenever you have a cloud of talc in the air. (but still try to avoid inhailing it) Talc also causes a reaction in the body, so don't let it get into any open sores. (I think that's why it makes irritated skin get worse)

So talc is a better performer, but has restrictions on its use.

Quote Originally Posted by bambinod View Post
    I'd say talc and cornstarch are suited to different uses. I use both. I've found that talc works better for keeping my skin dry, especially when air circulation is poor, and so I use it mainly on the sides of my hips that are often covered by the plastic wings of my diapers and lack padding for air circulation.

Talk however seems to make skin irritation worse, and doesn't seem to manage sweat and wetness buildup, so I use that down below to keep things cool and friction-free even though they'll have to deal with sweat etc.

I also use talc on my back just under my diaper, where again there's usually an area of unpadded plastic that suffocates my skin and makes it sweat and itch overnight as I lay on my back.

Talc is completely safe as long as it stays outside your body. Avoid breathing it, and breathe through your nose (not your mouth) whenever you have a cloud of talc in the air. (but still try to avoid inhailing it) Talc also causes a reaction in the body, so don't let it get into any open sores. (I think that's why it makes irritated skin get worse)

So talc is a better performer, but has restrictions on its use.
    How would you prevent it getting in "holes"

acorn

Talc is much a to do about nothing, in this rare instance I'll have to go with the majority, so Potatoes it is!