Thread: College again?

Default College again?

With my move this week I started thinking about what to do afterwords. I'm thinking about going back to college. Without the stress that my other family members bring, I believe I can get my degree. Currently this isn't my main focused since my main task is still the move. I have a lot of interest, so it's hard for me to focus one thing over another. If anyone has any advice or comments, I would mind hearing them.

I'm glad your move is finally coming up. It's a big step towards independence. Once you have a safe and adequate roof over your head, you can start planning what you want to do with your life and no one will be able to hold you back.

You're still young, so now is a good time to think about going back to school. I went back to college at the age of twenty eight and then took up an exciting, rewarding career in social services. I have absolutely no regrets about going back to school,, even though there were some tough financial times having to pay for food, rent, tuition fees, books and all the other costs that went with it. The finances were the most stressful part in spite of the savings I accumulated prior to going back. I had to bring in another student to share my place and work part-time because I needed the additional income. So my advice would be to consider all the costs related to living on your own and add in the costs of going back to school to determine if it is feasible for you at this time.

I'm unsure if you're moving into your own place or sharing with other people. If you're in a shared accommodation it keeps the costs down for rent. If you're living on your own, it gets pretty expensive. You can check with the college and see if there are any state loans, grants or other forms of financial assistance available to help pay for your education. I got a small loan from the government which helped pay for my tuition, books, and rent.

Like you, I had several interests before deciding on social services. My friends and family were quite disappointed that I didn't go back to school to become an artist or graphic artist. This ability seemed to be genetic in our family with both my mother and grandfather being professional artists and I inherited their talent. I went back for social services, however because I felt passionate about wanting to make a difference, not to mention the fact that I would have more opportunities for employment. Make sure you feel passionate about what you want to do, and the rest will follow.

Just a small word of concern; you're leaving a miserable life behind and finally getting out on your own. Just get yourself settled first, take your time and see how things are going financially and otherwise. Just get a feel for that first. If you decide to go back to school, you'll need to decide what program suits you best and how to get by financially. Plan it out carefully. Another option would be to start off part-time or taking an evening course while working during the day. This is how I started and it allowed me to save money while taking courses. It also helped me determine if it was something I would want to do fulltime. When I was accepted in my first year at college I was exempt from the courses I had already completed so the time saved allowed me to work part-time to help with the finances. Maybe just taking one course in something you like would be a good way to start.

More than anything, I really, really, REALLY hope your move goes well. As I've said to you before, moving is always stressful, regardless of circumstances or income, so it's normal to feel anxious about it. The fact that you're even thinking about going back to college and having a better life shows how beneficial the moving process has been for you. I wish you the best of luck and much success. Please let us know how things are going in the coming days. We're here for you.
    Last edited by Starrunner; 27-Jul-2014 at 23:55.