Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New computer build (a hand would be nice)

Default New computer build (a hand would be nice)

I'm going to build a custom gaming rig. I have about $1300 to spend. Any tips?

I would suggest starting with the motherboard, and choosing a more expensive power supply to get the build started. Are you looking for a gaming rig? Or something more for entertainment? If you want to have an amazing gaming setup going all AMD/ATI for the CPU / graphics card would be something to look into, I have only spent 650 on my rig, and am able to play any game that I want to play on maximum graphics settings... If you wish to spend the extra cash you could always go the Intel / Nvidia route... I have respect for both AMD and Intel, tho I feel you get the same amount of power for half the cost of the intel equivalent when you go the AMD / ATI route... Find a tower that you really like... Mine is a NZXT M59 mid tower case, and I absolutely love it... bought it in 2010 and have not looked back.

With 1300 is that including peripherals or is that towards the tower itself? $1300 can buy you some nice parts...

I'd look into the i7 4770k I believe is the model for your CPU. A LGA, what is it, 1055 or something for the haswell sockets. From there, get some memory; don't be fooled, memory is memory is memory. Clock speeds and such rarely make a major difference in performance, so don't overspend on RAM. I would highly recommend a gtx770 for your budget. Get your typical hardware you'll need like a hard drive, consider if you really actually need a DVD drive. For your PSU, with the parts I suggested, 650W is a safe bet, go gold or platinum on the reliance. Odds are what I jut listed is probably under budget, but lets be honest, that kind of rig is very powerful anyway.

Also, don't forget the accessories you'll need... Thermal paste, a good CPU cooler, look into closed loop water cooling from corsair, I have an h80 and love it. It keeps my 3570K OCed at 4.2ghz stock voltage below 55C at load. Other case fans, etc, take it all into consideration. If you don't own an ESD strap, get one for when you actually build (reduce the chance of zapping those precious microscopic circuits).

Good luck! Let us know what you decide and show us an end result when you get there!

Ars Technica, Bit-tech and Tom's Hardware usually have build guides that recommend good components for a price point. Don't skimp on the power supply or cpu coooler and make sure you have good tools.

a good build starts with a Good Processor and motherboard combo. i did mine last year and i went with an ASUS ROG motherboard featuring the AM3+ socket, so i maxed out the processor and got the FX-8350 black edition 8 core, which at the time was AMD's Fastest and Most powerfull Processor for only $200 where as an intel of the same capabillitys would have run in the $700's. the cheaper processor allowed me to go bigger in the Graphical Deparntment instead of getting a 1GB 660 GTX i was able to step it up to a 4GB GTX 770. that combined with the 16GB ram, and all the other misc. goodies ran me about $1200

just take your time and do your research AMD vs Intel don't matter in the long run my FX 8350 will out preform my cousins i7 anygame i put it on because i opted for the larger GPU instead of the higher dollar processor. basicly you need to balance performance with price, you will have alot of people telling you you need an intel because they are a better processor but trust me the performance gain while it is there is not large enough to notice let alone spend extra $400-500 for a name. IMO i would invest more in the GPU than the CPU as it is a large portion of the system. you can take a 7 year old crap processor throw it in with a GTX 780i and acheive super fast hi def gameplay with a decent FPS. games now days are built on a platform that allows the GPU to pick up on the slack of the CPU to balance out the system while yes it does pay to have a high end processor an AMD will suite your purposes just well.

- - - Updated - - -

and dont let anyone tell you diffrent but and AMD processor doesn't NEED an AMD GPU, i run AMD processor and an Nvidia GPU flawlessly with no issues and running an intel with an ATI/AMD is also just as flawless. though personally i would sugest you go the route of Nvidia as they usually have a track record of being the stronger GPU of the generation

Any rig will bottleneck at its weakest point. A weak CPU makes multitasking choppy, and Java games like Minecraft primarily run off of CPU. A weak GPU forces you to play games at low graphics settings. Not enough RAM causes frequent loading, sometimes unbearably so. A slow HDD exacerbates load times.

Get every component to middle-tier or better quality, consider a SSD, and then dump the rest into your graphics card. Just remember that the graphics card isn't some holy grail of computer rigs.

Thank you all for the good advice. So far I've got my motherboard the Asus sabertooth (not sure if z77 or z87) and I'll start with two 4 gbs of ram. Most likely to op for liquid cooling

This is a great resource if you have not seen it already: Logical Increments - PC Buying Guide

I would highly recommend an SSD, it makes your computer feel really fast. Be warned, after upgrading to one, you wont be able to stand waiting for programs to load on older computers with HDD.

Don't waste your money on liquid cooling. A decent case with air cooling will be easier to install and maintain, cheaper and almost as good. If you want to OC into liquid cooling territory we are not looking at a gaming rig, but rather maximum performance for the sake of it.

Also you shouldn't even consider 4770K/Z87, since the 4790K/Z97 is the current version at the same price point. GPU limitation is more of an issue though, so a Xeon-1231v3/H97 Combo might be much more reasonable. Actually for pure gaming the i5 will perform just as well while higher clocks are more affordable.

I am not a friend of AMD CPUs for this use case, since their single core performance can't keep up. Games have a very hard time making use of multiple cores. The Radeon GPUs are fine and afaik currently offer more bang for the buck than the nVidia counterparts. Just for Windows though, Linux drivers are a pain.

tl;dr:
    don't waste money on extremely optional stuff and get a better package. Decent PSUs are expensive (Seasonic, Enermax). An extra SSD for your core system is a must these days (Intel or Samsung). Go for quiet fans.

For specific models and benchmarks check big sites like anandtech, guru3d and stuff. Cross check recommended PC builds on big sites.

Quote Originally Posted by minime View Post
    Thank you all for the good advice. So far I've got my motherboard the Asus sabertooth (not sure if z77 or z87) and I'll start with two 4 gbs of ram. Most likely to op for liquid cooling
    good to see you are running with 8GB to start with, IMO i would upgrade to 16 in about a year or so or as money permits because looking at the trends of games this year alone they have risen from needing as little as 2GB as of next gen release now they are pushing as far as 6GB minimum. while 8 will hold all games now your multitasking will suffer during gameplay while that may not effect you it is a thought to consider i started out with 8GB and quickly realised i was eating through it in a average gaming sesion i uped it to 16 GB and have not had a lick of problems since

Ram is important you need to look at what you are aiming twords to really gauge how much you will need as far as gaming goes Battlefield 4 chews up 4GB minimum just to run, titanfall is about the same, older games like skyrim or fallout will run on anything so no need to go fancy if that is as new as you are going, watchdogs runs 6 GB minimum just to give an idea of where some of the hot list games of the last year fall and games only get more demanding as time goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Fawuko View Post
    Don't waste your money on liquid cooling. A decent case with air cooling will be easier to install and maintain, cheaper and almost as good. If you want to OC into liquid cooling territory we are not looking at a gaming rig, but rather maximum performance for the sake of it.
    yes and no i run an AMD FX8350 and while it will eat my cousins i7 alive in newer games it still has a few issues in single and dual core games, amd's don't like running cores individualy they like running high load on all cores when running less than 4 it bogs down, some minor overclocking will correct the issue now no you dont need some stupidly expensive custom loop Liquid cooling corsair makes bolt on sealed kits you can get the H60 with a single 120MM radiator for about $60 at best buy or similar stores

Quote Originally Posted by Fawuko View Post
    Also you shouldn't even consider 4770K/Z87, since the 4790K/Z97 is the current version at the same price point. GPU limitation is more of an issue though, so a Xeon-1231v3/H97 Combo might be much more reasonable. Actually for pure gaming the i5 will perform just as well while higher clocks are more affordable.

I am not a friend of AMD CPUs for this use case, since their single core performance can't keep up. Games have a very hard time making use of multiple cores. The Radeon GPUs are fine and afaik currently offer more bang for the buck than the nVidia counterparts. Just for Windows though, Linux drivers are a pain.
    Actually for current generation gaming an AMD will run as smooth if not smoother and probbably a bit cheaper than the i5 you are recomending. my 8350 turns out Phenomenal FPS and performance out of newer games i can even run watchdogs smoother than my cousins I7 rig. modern games will run on a quad core system just fine but consoles have finally caught up with PC's they both run 8 core CPU's, which means game devs don't have to hold back their games anymore since the next gen release i have yet to see a game use less than 4 cores Minimum, all the new games i have run comfortably on 7 cores and smooth as hell.