Thread: cats in boxes: buyer beware

Default cats in boxes: buyer beware

no, not a thread about pussies, but about catalytic converters.
    remember the one i bought and fitted in October? well, it failed the emissions test.
    got a new one, today (twice the price) and it sailed through the test.

all such stuff (poor quality, forgeries, etc) was supposed to have been sorted out ages ago, but obviously not.

of course, it wasn't all as smooth as that: because the government gives out the wrong information about my model of car, parts suppliers often supply the wrong parts. still, the re-ordered CAT was cheaper than the first one they sent.

the moral is: buyer beware: they've got you by the balls.

Interesting... my 94 with a gutted cat has passed emissions for the last ten years. I'm told they only look for it with a mirror and can not actually test it's function on the dyno.

Quote Originally Posted by Nam Repaid View Post
    Interesting... my 94 with a gutted cat has passed emissions for the last ten years. I'm told they only look for it with a mirror and can not actually test it's function on the dyno.
    Gutted cat, like this one?
    THE CAT COPTER a Project of Bart Janson - YouTube

In Virginia, a red, conservative state, you can actually use a real cat. You ram the pipe from the manifold into its mouth, and then cram the tail pipe up the cat's...ah...well, tail pipe, and viola! You know have a southern Cataletic converter with no damned government telling you what to do!

Passing the emissions test is very different from one state to the next. Here in the Democratic People's Republic of Illinois, they plug into your OBDII port and read out whatever it has stashed. That's it. Typically a non-functional or defective converter will give you high readings on NO2 (I think) or some other evil gas. Resetting the codes before you go also will give you a fail, because it takes a certain amount of run time and start/stop cycles to get legit readings on all the various parameters.

Catalytic converters use platinum (more expensive than gold) to catalyze the reaction. I'm told via automotive forums that cheap aftermarket converters use less platinum. They won't last as long or do as good a job "converting" noxious gases to harmless, although if your car is running well, it should be enough to pass the test.

Since a converter has zero effect on proper running of the engine, I would only change one out when I was due for a test.