• I didnít want my kids to get taken

1 10.00%
  • They were ready

9 90.00%
  • I didnít want to set them up to get bullied

3 30.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why did you potty train your kids?

Default Why did you potty train your kids?

I potty trained mine because I got tired of changing diapers and washing them and I wanted to go back and deal with only mine again. I also didn't want to be changing more diapers and washing more so I was hoping he would be out of them by the time my daughter arrived. Plus my son didn't like being wet or messy so I started teaching him to use the potty. Plus I don't want to set him up to get teased about it in school and face all the harassment when he had the luxury to be out of them while incontinent children aren't so lucky and can't quit wearing them.

I don't want to sound offensive but this question doesn't make any sense to me. I don't have kids but why do you potty trained them? Because it's the natural thing to do what else would it be?

I'm not incontinent and I think I was potty trained around normal/early age so I didn't went through my early life worrying about accidents and such. I know we all like to wear diapers here, but that is our choice. Your kids deserve to have that choice too and deserve to be potty trained as soon as they are ready.

Edit: I still don't get this question the way it is written, but I gave it a bit more thought, and I believe that what calico might be talking about is more of 'knowing that your kids will eventually be potty trained at some point what finally made you do it' sort of question. My answer is still the same though, as soon as they are ready.
    Last edited by Zendot; 22-Jul-2014 at 11:18.

Here's a choice that wasn't included, but sure to raise a lot of controversy: Because society demands it. Certainly, a baby with a messy diaper is stinky and most people will plug their nose and continue on. But suppose that baby is older, say 3 or 4. Then you get the disgusted looks but it is a more distasteful look, as in "Why isn't your baby potty trained by now?" The older the baby the more "adult" food you feed them and the more stinky the diaper, imo.

I voted "because he was ready" as we saw signs that he was ready to start using the potty. There were still accidents and the use of pullups continued into the early school years and eventually they became drier and drier.

Quote Originally Posted by zipperless View Post
    Here's a choice that wasn't included, but sure to raise a lot of controversy: Because society demands it. Certainly, a baby with a messy diaper is stinky and most people will plug their nose and continue on. But suppose that baby is older, say 3 or 4. Then you get the disgusted looks but it is a more distasteful look, as in "Why isn't your baby potty trained by now?" The older the baby the more "adult" food you feed them and the more stinky the diaper, imo.

I voted "because he was ready" as we saw signs that he was ready to start using the potty. There were still accidents and the use of pullups continued into the early school years and eventually they became drier and drier.
    We (my SO and myself) don't have kids (and don't plan to - but that's a different story)... But honestly, I fail to understand the question..
    Why would someone NOT want to potty train the child asap?
    It's a hassle... it's stinky... it's expensive... it's less than practical, etc...
    I don't see a problem with diapering / Pull-ups children that are "older" for certain occasions such as long car rides, flying, etc if it helps to save stress for both the child and the parents... but basic potty training? I can see no simple reason why anyone would not (aside from of course medical issues, that would make it pointless, like IC).

I'm personally appalled by the tendency these days to keep children as long in diapers as the packaging of some products suggests... and from what can be seen.
    I know that 20 years ago, this was not so far... and from what I've heard 40+ years ago it was even less...

But again, I'd check all points but two:
    - didn't want your kids taken ?? ?? Simply fail to understand this one (to what level does having your children potty trained or not influence the chance of your children being abducted??) Or if you mean child support taken, than honestly, it would take a LOT of other bad shit for them to be taken from you - so that point I think is like moot.
    - Not to be bullied... ? oh lord... if that is the "only" reason someone has for potty training their children... then I hope child support acts quickly..

The other points all apply I guess for any parent I have come to know in the past.

Before kids I just thought I would leave mine in diapers unless they wanted to quit. Not uncommon for AB/DLs to think this way. I am betting thy will change their minds after they have them.

- - - Updated - - -

I should have included the option, "They needed to be trained for daycare/school." Some places require a kid to be out of diapers at a certain age. This can be a hassle for some parents especially if their kid isn't ready or is still training and isn't even close to being potty trained.

Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    Before kids I just thought I would leave mine in diapers unless they wanted to quit.
    Why would you do so?
    Clearly, from whatever angle I try to look at the situation you'd be doing your children absolutely no favor in any way by NOT potty training them...
    What's the angle?

acorn

Quote Originally Posted by EPO1 View Post
    Why would you do so?
    Clearly, from whatever angle I try to look at the situation you'd be doing your children absolutely no favor in any way by NOT potty training them...
    What's the angle?
    Why not? That is exactly what I did! Both mine potty trained early, each in their own time told me when they were ready to start. All I had to do was encourage and help them through that time.

Thing is with children is that they will (usually) push their own limits by default, it would seem that they are in a hurry to grow up. Makes me laugh the way parent's are pretenders to their child's throne (ok, there is a pun in there too!) At the end of the day it is a milestone in their life (the child's), an achievement they accomplished themselves - albeit with a little parental/custodian support. I'd suggest that if any child was not interested in being potty trained, something is amiss somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by EPO1 View Post
    Why would you do so?
    What's the angle?
    It feels hypocritical to not let your kids wear them if you wear them yourself. But I started to look at it another way. We drink, we make poor choices like eating cake for breakfast or eating unhealthy stuff but yet we may make our kids eat healthy and have some real breakfast and not give them a beer to drink or wine, same with letting them smoke or do drugs (if you do them). Kids are too young to make those choices so why let them get fat or destroy their health because we let them make those poor choices? We also get to stay up late but yet make our kids go to bed at a certain time. But we as adults also have to make the right choices but unfortunately there are adults out there that still make bad choices. Even my own mother has to treat me like a kid sometimes because I am making a poor choice and the it affects me. So why let your kid wear diapers and then be teased in school about it and then have bladder issues for the rest of their life because they were never trained early enough so their bladder never properly developed?

But all kids will want to quit eventually. I think I should have also added the option "They wanted to quit" because some do quit on their own. They decide one day "No more diapers" and bam they are potty trained. Plus peer pressure will also get them to quit too because all their friends will be wearing big kid pants and their school mates too and they will want to be just like them and want to wear the pants too.

There was one mother on Dailydiapers that claimed she never potty trained her kids so she faked their bladder issues and did a fake diary and she was incontinent and also felt like a hypocrite if she did it and wanted her kids to decide if they wanted to stop wearing them. Then she had a set of triplets and decided to do elimination communication. Huh? I have wondered if she was for real. I have found her stories questionable.

Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    Before kids I just thought I would leave mine in diapers unless they wanted to quit. Not uncommon for AB/DLs to think this way. I am betting thy will change their minds after they have them.

- - - Updated - - -

I should have included the option, "They needed to be trained for daycare/school." Some places require a kid to be out of diapers at a certain age. This can be a hassle for some parents especially if their kid isn't ready or is still training and isn't even close to being potty trained.
    If by "not uncommon", you mean 1-2 people per thread on the subject, I guess that's a difference of expected meaning. I'll grant you that ABDLs are, as a group far more likely to entertain such idiotic notions but I think the vast majority who have children either know better or learn better. Hipocracy is a synonym for parent anyway. They are forever telling children to do as they say and not as they do and often it is completely reasonable and correct for their development to do so. Diapers are best as a choice, and one that is made a little further down the road than typical potty training. Our numbers are infinitesimally small, and to assume any child of ours will want to be part of that is plain silly. Potty train as soon as they're ready and be done. It's a pretty simple matter in the scope of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    If by "not uncommon", you mean 1-2 people per thread on the subject, I guess that's a difference of expected meaning. I'll grant you that ABDLs are, as a group far more likely to entertain such idiotic notions but I think the vast majority who have children either know better or learn better. Hipocracy is a synonym for parent anyway. They are forever telling children to do as they say and not as they do and often it is completely reasonable and correct for their development to do so. Diapers are best as a choice, and one that is made a little further down the road than typical potty training. Our numbers are infinitesimally small, and to assume any child of ours will want to be part of that is plain silly. Potty train as soon as they're ready and be done. It's a pretty simple matter in the scope of life.
    I saw an interesting thread at Dailydiapers once and some of them said how they get angered when they hear about parents forcing their kids out of diapers. Even that one Supernnny show was hard for them to see a three year old boy being force to quit wearing them. Then they said it's their inner child saying it.

I used to think parents who potty train their kids before age three were lazy and my mom was shocked I ever thought that and I told her I thought that way as a kid too. She asked me why would I ever think it was lazy, kids are ready so why would it be lazy. I said it was getting tired of changing them and they can't even wait until age three to do it and they want them to grow up too soon and she said sometimes kids are ready so they train them. Then I told her when I became an adult, I thought parents did it because it's cheaper and they won't have to spend more money and they would have more spending money. Then she said "Oh I see" understanding my thinking. She told me no that is not why parents do it, they do it because they're ready. Not do it because of the convenience and to save on money. But sometimes that is why parents potty train, if they are struggling to afford diapers, they try and train them. Same as if they have another baby coming and they don't want to be buying two different sizes and changing more diapers. I told her I realize potty training your kids before age three isn't being lazy at all because it's tough potty training a child and it takes lot of patience. In fact keeping them in diapers is easier because it's more convenient and less stressful. She also thinks someone online probably made up your kids will get taken if you don't toilet train them to scare diaper lovers to train their kids. She finds it hard to believe social services will be involved. Kids train when they're ready and sometimes there are bladder problems so the kid stays in them and how do you prove you are trying to train them? My mom also doesn't see why a kid would stay in them because they will see their friends in underwear and at school too and will want to be just like them and figure out big people use the potty and they are not a baby anymore. Even I figured it out and stopped.
    Last edited by Calico; 23-Jul-2014 at 06:09.