Thread: My Used 160GB Slim PS3 Won't Play Games

Default My Used 160GB Slim PS3 Won't Play Games

My Used 160GB Slim PS3 is refusing to play any of my physical PS3 game discs.

I think it's the bluray drive/laser, but I'm not 100% sure. Anyways, I was hoping someone here could help me solve the issue please?

Preferably without having to spend much money, I'll be broke until July 26th at least.
    Last edited by ToddlerNaruto; 20-Jul-2014 at 07:44.

what is it doing exactly i have two of the slim models they are bad about drive malfunctions the one in my bedroom will refuse to read a disk i had just put in it every so often it will make noises from the drive, a quick fix is to eject the disk tip the console back at a 45 degree angle and reinsert the disk . its something to do with the disk centering motors not lining up right tipping it lets gravity pul it in and causes it to center

If theres a problem with the disk drive its gonna be hard to fix for free. Have you tried cleaning the lens? A little more information on the situation would help.

Quote Originally Posted by w0lfpack91 View Post
    what is it doing exactly i have two of the slim models they are bad about drive malfunctions the one in my bedroom will refuse to read a disk i had just put in it every so often it will make noises from the drive, a quick fix is to eject the disk tip the console back at a 45 degree angle and reinsert the disk . its something to do with the disk centering motors not lining up right tipping it lets gravity pul it in and causes it to center
    At first the PS3 would just be really slow about playing PS3 games.

Now whenever I put a game disc in and press play on the icon/image, the PS3 either freezes, making me have to turn it off and back on, or I get a disc read error on the XMB menu.

I'll try that 45 degree angle trick though, if you mean standing it up vertical?

Quote Originally Posted by Sulqy117 View Post
    If there's a problem with the disk drive its gonna be hard to fix for free. Have you tried cleaning the lens? A little more information on the situation would help.
    I've never cleaned the insides of my PS3 before, though that's due to my paranoid fear of ruining my PS3, if I tried opening it up and damaged it somehow while messing around inside.

check the laser carrage, if it isn't all the way to the center, you may have to move it manually, sony has a history of these problems, fixing one such issue right now.

I had a RL friend take a look at my PS3, and it seems that it is indeed the bluray laser that's malfunctioning, not the bluray drive, DVD laser, or anything else.

I plan on having him repair it, as soon as I can save up $30 Amazon in August to buy the replacement bluray laser. I could buy it this weekend instead, but I would like to buy three more PS3 games before I have to start saving money.

Update: I had my friend look at my 160GB Slim PS3 again, and apparently it's either the Blu-Ray drive itself that's malfunctioning, which will cost me $80 New on eBay, or it's the HDD, in which case I'm hoping just formatting it and re-installing the PS3 OS will fix the problem.

If it is the HDD and formatting/reinstalling doesn't work, I have my eyes set on a 500GB Western Digital for only $50 New on Amazon.

I just hope they're not both malfunctioning, I can't afford to spend $130 all at once.

Mine just stopped playing games one day. But I receive an error. It probably need a new disc drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlejustin View Post
    Mine just stopped playing games one day. But I receive an error. It probably need a new disc drive.
    Yeah you'll need a new BluRay Drive for PS3. It only cost me $55 to replace mine, everything's working 100% now.