Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Okay this is bugging me

Default Okay this is bugging me

I don't normally ask these kind of questions but this one is really on my mind.

Today, my husband and I were at the mall and I was walking with my son while my husband was trailing behind us with our baby in his arms. I walk by this store and I see a woman standing at a table and I notice she has stuff on it with cards and some cans. I ask if they are drinks and she said they were. She then asked if I wanted to try and I said sure. Thinking it was some energy drink or juice but instead she asked me what beer I wanted to try and I say "no thanks" and walk away. My husband says to me few seconds later "What did you say to her?" I told him I just told her no thanks and I asked why and he said she was laughing.

Okay I don't really understand this. I know I often make people laugh for many reasons; honesty, being cute, saying something offensive, saying something wrong, saying something most people wouldn't say, the way I said it, they thought I was funny, the way I think. It's all confusing because I don't know why they are laughing or understand and no one seems to get upset with what I say in the real world despite my fear of getting anyone upset. But this one, why?

Totally blunt: she's a girl working a job in which she gives away free alcohol. You were offered that and declined because it was alcohol. So, she was laughing at you because you're a stiff. (You're not actually a stiff for doing that, but that's what she thought.)

Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    I don't like beer. It tastes awful.
    Then you have not tasted a good one yet

Honestly people laugh often because they're insecure or do not know how to respond otherwise.
    Also maybe she thought you're weird for refusing free alcohol.
    Trust me, I've gotten so many weird looks for refusing that one single beer or glass of red because I would have to drive an hour later... and I utterly refuse to drink anything alcoholic if I've got to drive.
    Some people get it ... some think I'm an idiot for taking it to an absolute zero tolerance level for myself even if the local law would say up to 0.5 alcohol blood level would be ok. I don't care though if some bloke or a chick thinks I'm not "man-enough" to drink anyhow. I prefer getting home safe in my car or on the motorcycle without killing someone in the process.

I have noticed some people will try and make you feel bad when you won't do something wrong. Not that drinking is wrong but it can be wrong if it's not done in moderation. I was in Montana and my sister in law had two of her friends come out and stay with us and both of them were shocked I had never gotten drunk before and talked me into going somewhere with them that evening to get drunk and I loved that idea and after they left to go to dinner, I then realized it wouldn't be a good time for me to do it because for one I am a breast feeding mother and two I have kids and it's irresponsible to get drunk around children and when you have them to take care of them next day and the fact you are breast feeding. I had my chance and now I don't have a chance and would have to wait until my in laws have them or my parents are willing to baby sit them or when they are older, old enough to care for themselves and stay home alone. No wonder parents have to give that up when they have a baby. Unless they have someone to have their kid for a few days or a day, they can't go out and get drunk. But the girlfriends stayed out late because they went to a friend's instead and I got too tired anyway so I would have had a valid excuse to not go if they did come back for me. So I wasn't upset they didn't keep their plan. I don't think it would have been a good idea for me anyway and my mom told me I would have been bored because it's all social chit chat and all and I wouldn't have liked it. Plus I wouldn't have been able to drive myself there and then drive myself back if I had two drinks. I would have had to wait. I wasn't thinking at first and then I realized after they were gone.

People will also think of you as a goody two shoe if you obey the law or rules but in this case, it had nothing to do with being right, I just didn't want a sip because I don't like the taste. I know it won't affect my driving or my milk supply because it would have been just a little bit. It was only a sample.

Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    I don't like beer. It tastes awful.
    Thank you!

I have noticed that sometimes people will give me a strange look and smile or laugh if I turn down a free beer. Sometimes its a nice gesture but its not always appropriate depending on the situation.

I haven't found a beer that doesn't taste awful either, I personally don't drink for the taste.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by EPO1 View Post

Honestly people laugh often because they're insecure or do not know how to respond otherwise.
    Trust me, I've gotten so many weird looks for refusing that one single beer or glass of red because I would have to drive an hour later... and I utterly refuse to drink anything alcoholic if I've got to drive.
    Some people get it ... some think I'm an idiot for taking it to an absolute zero tolerance level for myself even if the local law would say up to 0.5 alcohol blood level would be ok. I don't care though if some bloke or a chick thinks I'm not "man-enough" to drink anyhow. I prefer getting home safe in my car or on the motorcycle without killing someone in the process.
    EPO1 I respect your decision to have a zero alcohol level 100% if your going to be driving.
    I've been told alot of smart remarks if i refuse to drink if i know im going to have to drive home a hour or two later, its not worth the risk of injuring or killing yourself or others just to have a few beers. My family has a history of DUI's and drunk driving accidents, its not worth the risk in my opinion.

Calico I apologise for taking your thread off track.

Quote Originally Posted by EPO1 View Post

Everything in this post is true for me. I'm relatively light weight anyway (literally, I'm a guy in my mid twenties and I weigh about 135 lbs), so I'll never drink at all if I have to drive within a couple hours, as I can feel a bit light-headed after even one drink.

It always angers me when I hear people drink and drive. Haven't they heard of all those car accidents people have been in because of drinking or people getting in an accident because of a drunk driver? One of my online friends told me she drove drunk and it angered me. We are no longer friends. She also claimed my brother drinking and crashing his scooter was nothing. He lived and no one else was involved because he crashed into a tree or something on the side of the road totaling his scooter. He still got fined for it and had to do community service and went to jail three months later because they were packed so they waited to sentence him. He cut back on getting drunk.

I have a really high tolerance and I still don't take any chances if I have to drive anywhere soon.