Thread: A new and old name in diapers

Default A new and old name in diapers

Wall Street Journal article (front page) says Proctor and Gamble, seeing a downtrend in baby diapers, is now going to sell adult diapers again.

Might be several months. Maybe 8 or 9. But it's the first time that P&G will be a diaper provider since they sold off Attends, years ago.

Now you wonder if they'll actually do some research and consider plastic backed, thick diapers like the old Attends were, or if they just want to compete for shelf space in supermarkets and drug stores. They could just be like Depends, with their lame pull-ups and leak-prone cloth-backed "adjustable briefs," which aren't worth the money (unless you want to wear a diaper-doubler inside and plastic pants outside).

According to the article, they'll most likely use the Always brand name, which indicates they'll be targeting women. Bummer.

Great find. Here's the link.. Apparently, "Always" is now going to be a diaper brand as well. It'll be interesting to see how their initial offerings stack up against Depend.

The article suggests that P&G may target mainly women, which suggests to me that the product is likely to be some kind of pull-up. :-/

I think they'll target women, but looking at the senior market I'm sure they'll look at the men also. They'll possibly start with pullups's
    and IC pads. Maybe include some kind of a male guard along with a taped diaper.

I hope they don't stick with the name, because if they do decide to do men products, I don't think they'll want to buy a product name linked to feminine hygiene products.

A very good find indeed! Very interesting. I seem to recall reading that adult diaper sales are also greater than baby diaper sales in Japan now due to their aging population.

Hopefully P&G do get it right. In many European markets (Swedish) SCA offers premium feminine hygiene products (Libresse etc.), baby diapers (Libero etc.), and the ever popular Tena incontinence products. Hopefully P&G can do the same thing! ;-)

A.

Quote Originally Posted by MeTaLMaNN1983 View Post
    I hope they don't stick with the name, because if they do decide to do men products, I don't think they'll want to buy a product name linked to feminine hygiene products.
    They may start out under the Always brand before being spun off when the name gets established (the "Always" logo hovering above the main logo). Sort of like how Goodnites had "Pull-Ups" above it, while Pull-Ups had "Huggies," and even Huggies had "Kleenex")

if they do decide to do men products, I don't think they'll want to buy a product name linked to feminine hygiene products.
    Wow, I would. My very own pack of Always, how cool is that. OK, I've bought Always products before when I want to feel girly, but not ones made 'officially' for me. OTOH, as it's a new product line from a top-tier manufacturer, it probably won't include anything I like as I'm a confirmed plastic-backed wearer.

A thick plastic backed nappy with adult feminine styling branded 'Always'... I can dream!