Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giving things up

Default Giving things up

So I have multiple food intolerances but at the same time crave the things I'm intolerant to. These include sugar, alcohol, wheat and dairy.

The longest I've gone without is about a month. I was wondering if anyone has any tips or ideas on how to kick these things for good.

That sounds rather serious. What happens when you eat them? Do you just get sick? I would think the unpleasantness of experiencing a food intolerance would be enough to make you stop.

So, assuming you need some other incentive, you can try a lot of things. Classic ones are self-rewards, like if you go two months without eating anything you shouldn't, then you'll buy yourself something nice (new game, new clothes, whatever). Another one is to try to create a substitute. For example, you could eat something different every time you crave one of those foods, maybe nuts or raisins, something you can just munch on to fill the craving, but that isn't bad for you. Carrying them around with you too.

Another possibility, given that this is an ABDL forum, is to make yourself a star chart or sticker chart. Every day you go without eating the foods you don't like, you get a gold star! But if you buckle, you don't, and it's up on your wall as an empty day for everyone to see.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieRoni View Post
    That sounds rather serious. What happens when you eat them? Do you just get sick? I would think the unpleasantness of experiencing a food intolerance would be enough to make you stop.
    I'm wondering if he's seen a doctor about it or just figured out foods he can't have on his own. This could be something fixable like candidiasis.

I have a sweet tooth and I have always avoided buying them and it helps saves money on groceries. Only sometimes I would buy sweets and eat them all up. My family hides it from me so I don't eat it all up. Since I am frugal and don't like to spend a lot of money, I don't go out of my way buying a bunch of junk and I get full too quickly so it's not like I eat it all up at once.

I do the same Calico. I would binge on cookies and ice cream so I limit what I buy. When it's gone, I wait until grocery day to start the cycle all over. On the other hand, if certain foods make you really sick, Snowblind, the unpleasantness should help you from acquiring them. In 1985 I had a bleeding ulcer that almost killed me. It's only been in the last couple of years that I've been tempted to drink anything alcoholic. I will have the occasional beer, which doesn't seem to bother my stomach, but I never have more than one in a 24 hour period. Usually I don't drink anything alcoholic. It's not worth the stomach pain.

I wasn't eating healthy during my pregnancy because there was always sweets and I was eating those first before the good foods because i didn't want to be full for them and I didn't want them to be gone by the time I could have some so I was eating them before it's gone. I was also anemic and I didn't gain a lot of weight but I did gain more in the pregnancy than the previous one and I put it down to I wasn't eating as healthy and last time I had went extreme with eating healthy I was following it like a bible. So my family started hiding it after I told my husband how can they all expect me to eat healthy if they keep buying sweets. If they want me to eat healthy, stop buying it because it's too tempting for me and I don't have the willpower right now to control it. Why does he think I didn't buy it in our apartment? Because I knew I would eat it and it would be too tempting. Now I have my parents living with us, they buy that crap for the whole family. So they started hiding it. I assume my husband told them.

I'm on the same boat here, regarding frugality and cravings for certain foods.

Granted, I'm a celiac and cannot touch wheat products...and my bf is allergic to anything with milk in it. Soooo...we usually end up planning out our meals a week in advance. This helps both to control expenses and to minimize risk of buying something we know we shouldn't.

The only problem is dealing with the (wonderful) selection of gluten-free products out many sweets that I can eat now...
    At least for those, cost can be pretty prohibitive. (say, $6.00 for a loaf of 14 tiny slices of gf-bread)

I have a number of food intolerances, including wheat, yeast, milk, soy, and (the toughest one of all) chocolate.

You should see a doctor to treat this properly, if you haven't done so already.. When my sensitivities were discovered, the doctor started me off on what is called an elimination trial diet. In this process, you have to avoid all the foods for which you have been tested and caused a negative reaction. Then, after a week, one of the foods can be reintroduced into your system once every second day, for example a small serving of wheat on the eighth day, and a dairy serving on day ten. If a reaction occurs, it should be eliminated for a two to three month period and reintroduced when it can be tolerated. If the food doesn't cause symptoms at that time then it should just be eaten less often in the future. For example, I can usually eat the foods now that used to make me sick as long as I only indulge in them once every four days, approximately.

It is important to note that a sensitivity to any food is possibly only one component of an illness. Elimination and trial food challenges without any change in other areas may not result in a noticeable change. If a yeast hypersensitivity problem exists, for example, it may be suggested that treatment of the yeast begins before working with food intolerances. However, it is not uncommon for food sensitivities to be symptoms of other underlying illnesses and that is why it is important to get advice and guidance from a doctor.

A number of physicians who engage in environmental medicine can work with you on developing a safe diet which may result in changes to your lifestyle, but I guarantee the health benefits will make it worth the effort. I learned a lot about cooking with alternatives and cutting down on the food that was causing illness. Cow's milk for example, can be substituted by almond milk or goat's milk (depending on your specific intolerances). Grains can often be substituted in cooking recipes. I also get half my groceries at health food stores instead of picking up everything at the local grocery store. Many of the natural health food stores have alternatives such as gluten-free or wheat-free bread, rice pasta and other items for people who have difficulty digesting certain foods.. My doctor's office also provided me with a huge folder of compiled recipes for people with food sensitivities. A local author here in Ottawa just published a cookbook of recipes for people with food intolerance and allergies titled "Finally... Food I Can Eat". The author's name is Shirley Plant.

If you have been diagnosed with having food intolerance, it is possible that you will not have to give up the foods you love, but rather, you may have to limit your intake of them. Having gone through the process myself, I can tell you that I am no longer as sick, tired, and exhausted as I was before I made these changes in my life. I am not giving you advice on how to go about dealing with food intolerance. I just wanted to share my knowledge and experience as it applied to me. I encourage you to see a qualified doctor to get the rights answers to your individual situation.

Good luck with it.
    Last edited by Starrunner; 20-Jul-2014 at 00:25.

Quote Originally Posted by starrunner View Post
    I have a number of food intolerances, including wheat, yeast, milk, soy, and (the toughest one of all) chocolate.
    If you don't mind my asking, what is it that causes a chocolate intolerance? I've met a couple other people who have told me they can't eat chocolate, and I'd never heard of it before this year. It doesn't fit into any of the more well-known issues I'm aware of like lactose intolerance, nut allergies, or glutin allergies. So what is it about chocolate, or what condition is it that causes an intolerance?

I've met someone who can't eat chocolate due to being caffeine intolerant - cacao beans, like coffee beans, contain caffeine. I'm not sure if decaf chocolate exists though. :P