Thread: Question about obtaining a prescription for diapers for a legit medical need

Default Question about obtaining a prescription for diapers for a legit medical need

Hi folks...
    I have a legit diagnosis of overactive bladder, and have some questions about obtaining a prescription for diapers.
    1. Since the doctor already diagnosed me with overactive bladder if I asked for a prescription for diapers will I need to go through more testing?
    2. When the doctor diagnosed me with this condition he recommended that I try medications, can I tell him that I don't want to go that route because of the side effects?
    3. Will the prescription dictate what absorbency level of diapers and where I buy them from?
    Any help or information would be greatly appreciated. If it makes any difference at all I live in Canada. Thanks for your help in advance.

Firstly it's your body and it's up to you what you ! so don't let them push drugs on you if your happy with diapers

Quote Originally Posted by parcelboy2 View Post
    Firstly it's your body and it's up to you what you ! so don't let them push drugs on you if your happy with diapers
    That's the thing, I was given the diagnosis of OB and I have read about others using diapers to manage it. I don't know if I can ask to be prescribed diapers if I haven't tried the meds. I haven't heard of anyone having success with the meds, everyone says that the sideeffects override the bennifits.

The doctor can't force your decision. If your need for diapers is legitimate and the doctor knows then he shouldn't have any objections. You also will have to look at your insurance coverage to see if they will cover the diapers, because some don't.

Why do you need a prescription? Can't you just go buy them at Walgreens?

In the UK if you are diagnosed as incontinent as I am then you are refered to a continence advisor who after a lot of questions and a diary of your wetting episodes and a couple of consultations then arranges for you to recieve pads and fixing pants free on the NHS. My incontinence and bedwettingis caused by diabetic nerve damage, an unstable bladder and a slightly enlarged prostate. My urologist says I will have to cope with it as there is little that can be done without surgery which could make things worse. I have got used to wearig protection all the time and to be honest don't find it a problem anymore.

Oh, then by all means OP should get him some free diapers

Went and saw my doctor today for an unrelated issue to the incontinence. I asked him about a script for diapers and he gave it to me. I just have to wait until September for my wife's insurance to kick in as she started a new job about five months ago. I think I'll order another case of Abena x plus to get me through. Even if her insurance doesn't cover them at least I can get something back on income tax Under the medical expenses category.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by neocarbunkle View Post
    Why do you need a prescription? Can't you just go buy them at Walgreens?
    I find that drugstore diapers don't offer the coverage that I need. I can buy diapers without a prescription but the prescription allows me to either, A get the diapers covered or
    B get money back on income tax therefore reducing my costs.