Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medical Professionals: Professional or To-the-Point. What do/would/did you call it?

bringmesunshine

Default Medical Professionals: Professional or To-the-Point. What do/would/did you call it?

Here's me starting a thread again. What would you call this lifestyle choice if you were introducing yourself to an examining medical professional for the first time (one who wanted or needed to know everything about you). It's just I've said Infantilism to three medical professionals and it's just bounced off/needed explaining...a fourth however did immediately say yes I've heard of that and as a short side-along explained that her friend - on adopting a twelve year old girl - had taken a mother role for the twelve year old girl (all the stress of her life before the separation and the actual separation had pushed her - the girl - into infantilism), a very consenting role: clothless bathing, baby-food feeding and all three (I'm talking main) types of nappy changing (ask if you're unsure - unlikely as we ADISC!). The girls infantilism only lasted about a year and a half if you're interested and she apparently dropped it completely even going as far as to act like it hadn't actually happened (gosh I've had experiences a little like that not relating to me but...YKW that's a long story for another time) any way that girl got real good treatment ...ah - some out there are so lucky!

Anyhoo that off-track ended up being longer than it shood hav been. Should I just say I like wearing nappies (in future)? It's difficult as that's a difficult thing (NTM embarrassing/cheek-reddening) to say to any medical professional...on top of that I think that medical professionals should know, defo one's that cover a lot of subjects. Infantilism's always to me seemed such a safe bet (people getting it wise) but there are other descriptions (if you don't want to get to the point simply - i like to wear nappies...which is of course what this thread is all about!). One of the professionals who didn't get Infantilism did understand 'extreme regression' so that's a possible and also I think autonepiophilia has recently come along as a description but it wouldn't surprise me if it was only doing the rounds in America at present...I've heard it over here in the UK...not once! So what would you do if you were telling a medical professional? What would you say? (and of course there's the other group...) what did you say/tell to your questioning medical professional? I am a massive nappied ear waiting 2 hear from you (rather weird image yes but I could think of nothing else!)! bringmesunshine

I tell the truth I have a bedwetting issue, that is well under control, they usually leave it at that, never been diapered in the hospital but have had catheters(I have no memory of it) and Ive also had bed pads slid under me

I'll admit I found your post intriguing, so I'll give you my two cents as it were.

Firstly, and most importantly, I think you really struck lucky with that doctor. There's no footnote on infantilism in a medical course, so it's not beyond a doctor to be judgemental upon learning about such a thing.

This doctor almost certainly handled the situation better thanks to prior experience. Therefore I would personally choose to less forthright about this in the future.

With luck, most doctors would be professional enough to withhold judgement, but it definitely seems like a situation where judgement is a definite concern.

What I would say is, if this isn't an area of medical or psychological concern to you, then I wouldn't bring it up with your doctor.

With the number of adult babies on shows like Nat Geo and others, it's hard to believe that a trained psychologist wouldn't have heard of infantalism. My psychiatrist had back when I was in college but he said I'd probably out grow it. He certainly didn't have a working understanding concerning infantalism.

I think that if it's something you want to discuss, you could explain in further depth, how you feel about wearing diapers. It's something we do on this site all the time. Your doctor can find information in between your sessions. As we say, we are more than just diapers and obviously if you are seeing a psychologist, you're probably there for a number of reasons, more than just diapers.

My thought is that discussion with a doctor should be carefully considered. If wearing diapers isn't something that concerns you, telling a doctor isn't necessary. They're there to look after your health, so they'll expect anything you bring up to be something you're concerned about.

On the other hand, if you want to talk, a doctor is the safest place (due to doctor patient confidentiality, they're legally bound to keep your secrets). Many people here have obtained the treatment of psychologists or psychiatrists, and you can get stories that run the gamut in terms of how accepting the doctor was of infantilism.

I also think that if you take in the variety of experiences, it's important to be clear with a doctor if you do decide to discuss the diapers. Are you confident about wearing diapers, but you want coping strategies or a way to be more social? Say so. Are you worried that diapers may be part of an unhealthy lifestyle? Bring that up. The more specific you are: about your goals, your habits, and your worries, the more the doctor can help assist you.

Edit: see below for more on confidentiality.
    Last edited by ArchieRoni; 15-Jul-2014 at 15:16.

put it to you this way...

You can get diaper rash without wearing a diaper.

I find this topic that is one to be quite difficult because of my situation. Om a medical student currently and when i graduate in 1 and a half years time will be a doctor myself. This, combined with my own AB desires makes for quite the mix.

For me wanting to tell my own doctor about this (and yes, doctors do have their own doctor for their own health needs) ... i don't think it is really required. I take the approach that if it ain't broke ... then don't try fixing it. I don't see my ABism as a problem so i don't feel the need to let my doctor know. At the end of the day what benefit are you getting by telling them? All they will end up doing is noting it on your file, exploring it a little bit to make sure you aren't causing harm to yourself and see if you have concerns/want to do something about it. They will probably just drop it after that without doing much else if you have no concerns or want to do anything about it. So telling a doctor doesn't do much in the grand scheme of things.

Also ... i want to point out the misconception in one of the above posts about doctor's confidentiality. You are right that doctors have to maintain your confidentiality and are legally bound by that agreement. However, if a doctor believes that you are going to harm yourself or harm others then they have a legal obligation to report it ... whether that means you need to be restrained or to have things removed from your possession so you don't cause harm to other people doctors have the legal obligation to maintain your safety and the safety of others around you. By this ... if you told someone that you like diapers that doesn't really cause you harm (if you are found out you might have your reputation harmed but it won't damage you or someone around you). If you told a doctor that you are going to go out and massacre people at your work and you have guns at home and you show clear signs of wanting to hurt people ... then a doctor has to inform police to intervene before you do such things.

Just wanted to point out that it isn't clear cut that doctors must never mention anything you say .. they can break it if then feel the need to.

I'm comfortable with my little side, which means that the only reason I'd discuss my diapers with a medical professional is if I suspected they were affecting my physical health. If that were the case I'd simply say that I wear diapers for personal, non-medical, reasons and that I think they could potentially be related to whatever ailment we were discussing.

It's possibly also worth mentioning that the doctors surgery was the only place I made an exception for when I was wearing 24/7. If nothing else, I wouldn't want to risk the doctor seeing my diaper and jumping to conclusions that could affect his diagnosis. I know that shouldn't happen in theory, but I'd rather not take the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek61 View Post
    Also ... i want to point out the misconception in one of the above posts about doctor's confidentiality. You are right that doctors have to maintain your confidentiality and are legally bound by that agreement. However, if a doctor believes that you are going to harm yourself or harm others then they have a legal obligation to report it ... whether that means you need to be restrained or to have things removed from your possession so you don't cause harm to other people doctors have the legal obligation to maintain your safety and the safety of others around you. By this ... if you told someone that you like diapers that doesn't really cause you harm (if you are found out you might have your reputation harmed but it won't damage you or someone around you). If you told a doctor that you are going to go out and massacre people at your work and you have guns at home and you show clear signs of wanting to hurt people ... then a doctor has to inform police to intervene before you do such things.

Just wanted to point out that it isn't clear cut that doctors must never mention anything you say .. they can break it if then feel the need to.
    This is very much correct and I apologize for not pointing it out above. I didn't think it was important because I find it difficult to believe that diapers alone would ever rise to the level of harm necessary for disclosure.

Nevertheless, Zeek has the right of it. If, for whatever reason, you are a risk of serious harm to yourself or others, doctors have no obligation to keep your confidentiality.

bringmesunshine

Thanks for the good response all of you. Just to give a bit more background - the people who didn't immediately know of Infantilism: A therapist specializing in solving problems relating to the subconscious (and hard to access) corners of the mind (though in fairness to her she did understand 'extreme regression'), my families main local Doctor (who I finally had to explain it all to in detail (becoz 2 a degree he already knew light deets) when I really needed a heavy duty/via-prescription-only adult nappy rash cream) and my life coach (yes I have one of those and I really need one - my life's pretty crazy at the moment though there are some things that even I'm not willing to e-talk about...and if you know me from past posts you're going to now be registering surprise but that's the situ' folks (!) - on with the reply).

The medical professional who did know about IFLM (I like 2 abbreviate it to that & it works doesn't it (?) - InFantaLisM) (the one with the friend who'd gone through a mothering role for a female temporarer) was the in-school emotional therapist at...you guessed it my old school.

I need you all to know that unless I thought it was really important I wouldn't tell a medical professional - if a medical professional wants to know everything about me (if we're focusing on that path) I will not hold back - it'd be wrong to do so. Me, therapy (of many walks) and nappies dance around a lot in a merry circle, I wanted to be basically who I really am while my subconscious was being probed and prodded and we were studying my early childhood anyway so...I got to wear just a nappy for every session.

That in-school therapist was there for me during some very tough education related times and was very understanding when she once walked into the therapy room unannounced and found me extremely depressed wearing nothing but a...make a guess people! To remove so much clothing while in the confines of a school - a school full of very judgemental age-fellows and bullies I must mention - well looking back I must have been at absolute rock bottom and that therapist kinda saved me in a certain way. I've gone off track again I can see that and it's taken a not so happy turn.

Experiment and tell some of your close medical professionals (though I'm not saying any you have them as it's probs just me who's a major nutcase), you never know you may end up with understanding acquaintances or even better...better friends who won't better before you told them......if that makes any sense. bringmesunshine