Thread: Not so new to DL, but new to being myself

Default Not so new to DL, but new to being myself

Hi everyone,

Just joined the site to do some research about our common interest and hopefully come to terms with a few things myself.

Short version of the story is I had an emotionally traumatic experience as an infant (yes, my earliest memories go back to when I was 8 months old). I wasn't abused, nor was it anything intentional or malicious, but it left me imprinted me with this affinity for diapers. However, I repressed this feeling my entire life which caused me constant inner turmoil. Now, 29 years old and married, I'm really tired of hating myself for something I cannot make go away. I recently told my wife about these feelings I have regarding diapers, and to what extent I do and do not want to experience them. While she was initially upset, things are better. Once we worked through the strong emotions and I recounted my experiences, she really began to understand and is trying to be sympathetic.

We've both agreed to seek council with a highly-experienced, well-recommended sex therapist whom is local to us. We both have some issues beyond this and I'm thankful we are still very much in love and taking steps toward being happier with ourselves, and each other.

Thanks for listening, and for all being yourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazypants View Post
    Hi everyone,

Just joined the site to do some research about our common interest and hopefully come to terms with a few things myself.

Short version of the story is I had an emotionally traumatic experience as an infant (yes, my earliest memories go back to when I was 8 months old). I wasn't abused, nor was it anything intentional or malicious, but it left me imprinted me with this affinity for diapers. However, I repressed this feeling my entire life which caused me constant inner turmoil. Now, 29 years old and married, I'm really tired of hating myself for something I cannot make go away. I recently told my wife about these feelings I have regarding diapers, and to what extent I do and do not want to experience them. While she was initially upset, things are better. Once we worked through the strong emotions and I recounted my experiences, she really began to understand and is trying to be sympathetic.

We've both agreed to seek council with a highly-experienced, well-recommended sex therapist whom is local to us. We both have some issues beyond this and I'm thankful we are still very much in love and taking steps toward being happier with ourselves, and each other.

Thanks for listening, and for all being yourselves.
    I'm sorry no one has responded to this sooner. It's good that you could confide with your wife. I did the same a number of years ago and it has worked out well for me. I'm sure that this was a lot for your wife to take in, but over time, she should begin to accept this. Seeing a counselor should help as well as long as that person has a good working understanding of paraphilia infantalism. Some do and some don't so be selective as to who you choose. Remember that if there is no understanding, you might want to continue to shop around.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I'm sorry no one has responded to this sooner. It's good that you could confide with your wife. I did the same a number of years ago and it has worked out well for me. I'm sure that this was a lot for your wife to take in, but over time, she should begin to accept this. Seeing a counselor should help as well as long as that person has a good working understanding of paraphilia infantalism. Some do and some don't so be selective as to who you choose. Remember that if there is no understanding, you might want to continue to shop around.
    No problem, I wasn't expecting a red carpet invitation - but just that this community exists is going to be helpful for me.

Thanks for your concern regarding the therapist. My wife is just as afraid of seeing her as I am, but her website is very upfront and honest about her specializing in sex therapy, with experience in subjects right across the board. Regardless, we have our own limits set out before our first visit - if either of us gets any indication that we are being "diagnosed" or "blamed" that is a 100% full-stop and we will walk right out. We doubt that will be the case judging by her experience and how highly recommended she is. Ultimately we want to both come to a fuller understanding of our individual circumstances, and hopefully leave with some tools to aid us in our healing journey together.