Thread: Shaving and razor burn

Default Shaving and razor burn

I need some advice on the best way to deal with razor burn. I would like to know if there is a natural remedy that any of you really like. I love the feel of my bare legs but the razor burn is a little irritating. I figured out the hard way how important it is to soak in a hot bath before shaving is. I also am figuring out which way the hair is growing but in the meantime I need to know how to let my legs heal without giving up altogether.

Good news is that they are not burning as bad as the first time I attempted to start shaving regularly. Does the skin toughen up or will I always have to deal with this? My biggest problem is blisters forming over the hair that is trying to grow back in.

Lots of preparation - hot water soak - shaving cream or gel - sharp multi-blade shaver - don't go over same area in opposite direction - take short multiple strokes - find and use a vibrating shaver it works wonders -
    Think long term about getting laser treatment - or in the mean time use an epilator type of hair removal device (small revolving spring device that tweezers out the hair - a bit painful yes but much more tolerable than razor burn) -
    Constant and regular maintenance to reduce and control the growth of hair - After shaving use an aloe based lotion - avoid wearing nylon or hot based polyester fabrics something soft against the skin cotton ? Not wool !
    TOO FREQUENT SHAVING MAYBE THE PROBLEM - not giving the skin time to recover between shaves. AND some folks just have hair like a wire brush that is always going to present a problem - Like Clint Eastwood says "A man's got to know
    his limitations" !
    Another thing don't try and shave the entire hairy beast at one time - do small sections on a regular basis - pain real bad think about OTC asprin or ibuprofen or something on the order of Cortaid (stops itchiness and scratching).
    You will have lots and lots of time to figure out what is best for you - take gradual steps - getting back to baby skin is not easy - AND - frankly realize it just might not be in the cards for you. Do something you are not comfortable with you may
    have to see a dermatologist - you skin after all maybe telling you something that you may not like - but recognize it for what is worth.

ALso, moisturise after shaving. Very important as you strip the sin's natural moisturiser (sebum) off when you shave. You must replace it.

I find it worse when I have a lot of bulk to remove and I need to go over a spot multiple times. I now use an electric trimmer to go over it first then the blade

Here is my product/method, it has worked for me:

- Gillette Fusion Proglide (its expensive, but worth it)
    - Coochy Cream shaving lotion (you can buy a 3 pack on amazon for like 30$ and they are big bottles)
    - any moisturizing cream

- Wet the area you wish to shave in hot water (opens up the pores)
    - Apply shave lotion
    - shave in the direction of the hair growth to prevent ingrown hairs
    - the shaving lotion i use (coochy cream) is specially made to prevent ingrown hairs, so I am able to reapply it and shave against the hair growth for optimal smoothness
    - rinse your face with mild temperature water
    - moisturize

Most of the time, ingrown hairs and razor burn happens when you shave with a dull blade or if you shave too fast, or even if you use a cheap shaving cream that has a lot of chemicals, and after shaving, your skin is left dry and prone to redness and irritation, so its best to moisturize your face with a face cream or if its your body you are shaving, you should use a body butter or moisturizing lotion.

Important notes:

**Do NOT shave over an area over and over and over, it will cause more irritation, before shaving an area, always apply shaving lotion, dry shaving leads to a lot of redness, irritation and most frequently ingrown hairs.

**You can also use a trimmer to shave any VERY hairy areas as much as you can and then go over them with a razor so you can get good results without spending so much time, if you try to shave it all off with a razor blade, you're gonna find yourself using up a lot of razor blades and a lot of lotion, as well as spending HOURS doing it.

**Over time, your body will become use to this process and your hair will grow back thinner and much more easy to shave, by that logic, your skin will also become accustomed to it and the itching/redness will reduce greatly, just make sure you always always always moisturize.

Honestly, you just kind of learn how to shave well by practicing it. It's a kind of muscle memory, really, learning how much pressure to apply, what angle to get, when it's tugging too much, etc. Definitely get your hair hot and wet before shaving, but if you soak for too long you can actually make it harder to shave by making your skin puffier.

You want to use a shaving soap that's as alkaline as you can find and one that has a fair amount of glycerin for moisture and lubrication. Alkalinity really helps to soften the hair. Good old fashioned glycerin bar soap work really well if you can get it to lather enough. I prefer soap to shaving cream, but that's just my take.

If your skin is just too sensitive to shave, go with a razor designed for sensitive skin or, better yet, an electric razor like the Phillips Bodygroom. They won't get you as close of a shave but for that very reason they're much gentler. Even better than that: wax or epilate.

From what you describe, though, it sounds like the real issue might be the irritation of the follicles as the hair regrows rather than irritation of the skin from shaving. That kind of irritation is typically caused by the abrasion of close-fitting clothing. You might want to change what you wear, or wear a thin pair of leggings or tights under your pants when you skin starts to get red. Here as well, not shaving as closely will reduce irritation.

I always use those "exfoliating gloves" before shaving :3
    It might hurt a bit and feel like you're just 'irritating your skin' even more before shaving, but trust me, afterwards you'll have the smoothest legs ever )

I assume that you are talking about shaving your legs. First of all make sure you use a razor designed for that because they are different than those designed for shaving facial hair. I use Schick for Women. You should mind the other advice about the methods also. When you shave with a razor it lifts the hair a little then cuts it off shorter. It retracts back into the folicle, then the top of the opening closes up over it. As the hair grows it has to first push its way out of the hole to open it up. That's why you get bumps within a couple of days after a close shave. You can help along it by washing with a gentle body soap and a brisk scrubbing with a wash cloth in the days afterwards. It helps the hair get above the skin quicker so that you don't get irritated bumps. I shave once a week and jusr scub-wash the other days. Moisturizing also helps, I use Gold Bond medicated lotion. Just do it regularly and your skin will get used to it.