Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Having no other gods

Default Having no other gods

This is a Judeo-Christian-centric post. If you don't share that general worldview, feel free to ignore it with my continued good wishes.

What does it mean to want to wear diapers and love God? Well, just that. I was feeling down on myself earlier for wanting to wear diapers and I realized that God loves us for who we are, not what we wear. If diapers are pleasing to us and don't prevent us from doing what He wants us to be doing, then they are of no consequence!

God cautions us to have no other gods before Him (literally, before His face). For some I think other things can be those very gods He's cautioning us about. And then they become stumbling blocks for us. For some, it's money. For others, diapers.

There are two sides to this tragic coin: One one, you can love diapers TOO much and covet them and spend all your time on them and forget about God. On the other, you can despise yourself for wanting to wear them and then allow your despair to come between you and God by now allowing Him to forgive your sins.

So let us, then, endeavour to land on the edge of the coin and love ourselves as we are, diapers and all, and go on doing what He desires for us, knowing that He loves us more than we could ever know.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Quote Originally Posted by perlFerret View Post
    This is a Judeo-Christian-centric post. If you don't share that general worldview, feel free to ignore it with my continued good wishes.

What does it mean to want to wear diapers and love God? Well, just that. I was feeling down on myself earlier for wanting to wear diapers and I realized that God loves us for who we are, not what we wear. If diapers are pleasing to us and don't prevent us from doing what He wants us to be doing, then they are of no consequence!
    snip:

I think you have a good perspective on this, between your relationship with God and in this case, desire to wear diapers. I agree that it's all about balance and who and what you put first in your life. We may desire to wear diapers, but everyone in this world, anyone who is human, has desires. One could be in a perpetual state of prayer, constantly beseeching God, but they would soon starve to death. God doesn't expect that and he does understand they we have human frailties. If wearing and using diapers is one of them, so is almost everything else which consumes our time.

Tomorrow I will direct my church choir, play both piano and organ and sing with our praise band. That evening I will be wearing a diaper. There is a time and a season for all things under heaven.

Generally speaking, you can find a justification in the Bible for anything you do or anything you enjoy. Like so:

"Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." --Matthew 18:3

Quote Originally Posted by DLGrif View Post
    Generally speaking, you can find a justification in the Bible for anything you do or anything you enjoy. Like so:

"Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." --Matthew 18:3
    Agreed but my intent wasn't to condemn or justify but rather express how easy it is to fall into one of two traps of obsession or self-loathing.

If you're looking at it from the perspective of justifying something you want to do, then I think you're coming at it backwards. Being thankful and desiring to do what's right, regardless of what you want to do is a good starting point. Starting there and looking at it, justifying one's actions doesn't seem all that important.

</editorial>

A thought. I've never understood the "other gods" commandment to be especially broad. People had leaders and begged them for aid and succor. Christianity has saints, angels, the Virgin Mary, basically a whole host to which one can pray to intercede for you on behalf of god. All the monotheistic religions have many prophets and wise men and women who acted in the name of God and are deserving of being emulated. And amongst all of that, God's commandments are laid out and acts that are virtuous or wicked are described.

Why then is loving something often times thought to violate that first commandment? perlFerret's idea is not unique, nor limited to diapers, but I've never understood it. Even if one engages with an object or a person and neglects the spiritual, that is not putting an idol before God or worshipping some new, false god. It is neglect of one's duties, perhaps unhealthy living. But I just cannot wrap my mind around the idea that either love or obsession can so casually become "gods' without the intent of a person to worship something and pray to it as a deity independent of the one God.

This is one aspect that keeps me miles away from ANY religion: the guilt-tripping.
    (ok, it's by far not the only aspect that makes religion not something I'd ever choose to go with, but it is a major one).

I have to say, I am a 9999% pure atheist - so my view is not judeo-christian centric at any rate.
    Why do I still contribute to this?

Well, the thing to me is that I am fine with people's religious believes as long the these believes ENHANCE their life, give them something positive.
    But when I see that it offers potential to make them "miserable" I often feel compelled to give my 2-cents....

If you read the bible (or most other religious books) it's always open for so much interpretation and more interpretation that it can make your head hurt even juggling the basic few possibilities of how something should be looked at.
    Also consider that some texts written like a thousand years ago, by MEN (you can believe in god... but the book was not written by any god, but rather by men)... the world back then was VERY different in many regards. Life was vastly different. So why go and try to take any of it "verbally" ?

Also most churches themselves (with a few exceptions) would debatably violate the third of the ten commandments: "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image"...
    By having Icons depicting god's son, angles, etc... all over the place, by worshipping symbols, Saints, etc.
    But as I said before, it is one of these things that does really depend on how you interpret it.

As you say it could also mean not to focus your priorities on food, love or whatever else there is temporary that isn't god-centered.
    But yet, without food you would meet your maker sooner than you'd like. Without love, life is a sad place...
    And saying that food isn't a top-shelve priority is simply dumb - because if you ever have been really hungry (try to go more than 5 days without food and you'll have a small taste of what it could mean... but you're still not "hungry"... but see people who have not had food in two weeks and it redefines the definition of hunger and what people are logically willing to do to get some food. prioritizing god has in that moment very very little place to 99.9999% I guess).
    Same goes for money... if you have absolutely nothing left and can't come up to pay rent, are getting evicted from your house, don't know how to feed your family, etc... well money will be a "stumbling stone", something you will "covet", "need" above most other things at that moment, and no god can truly fill that void.

it's just an example - to show you the extremes of how stuff can be interpreted.

And last but not least - the only person who condemns you is yourself - it is your own decision (free will) on how far you take your religion, what you choose to believe and what not. How you interpret the scripture and how not. It's your choice.
    Afterall, prophets, saints, preachers, kings, queens, emperors, governments, schools, the churches, etc. they have all done the very same thing: Taken, modified, extended, interpreted, re-published, etc. scripture & ideas - all to fit their own believes & needs... so what makes this right exclusive to a preacher but not to you.
    it's not like he has been talking to his god any other way you are.

And maybe this: You have this one life... maybe you believe in after life, in whatever... but well, here and now you live your life and I guess it would be nice to live a fulfilling happy life. And if diapers make you happy? so enjoy.
    Too much? sure if they get in the way of living a full life, if they become a burden you don't want to bear - then yes it's too much.

I've always assumed that any image of god is a false image. God Himself is just a false image in your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by skunk053 View Post
    Just don't worship diapers in lieu of G-d and you'll be alright.
    Lol way to TL;DR my post. XD

Quote Originally Posted by DLGrif View Post

Tired of an annoying woman in your life, be it at work or home? Here you go, and bonus points if she's your supervisor:

1 Timothy 2
    11 A woman should learn in quietness and full submission.
    12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet.
    13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve.
    14 And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner.
    Makes you wonder why the hell we suffer women to have any kind of job above menial labor. Also, this isn't out of context. It's well-supported by similar mandates in Titus 2:3-5 and 1 Corinthians 14:34-35. There are some things the bible is unclear on for one reason or another. That women are to be subservient to men (not only their husbands) and are not to hold positions of authority is quite clearly spelled out.

Being Christian and being pro-equality are incompatible unless you selectively ignore parts of the bible because you don't like them.